PDA

View Full Version : Calling cadence

pocatellodave
08-28-10, 04:05 PM
I couldn't help but notice,but the Marine Corps doesn't call cadence like when I was in.It's one-two-three-four,with no distinction between cadence callers.When did that change?Every D.I.,nco,etc.,had their own style,and I really think it was cool.I tried to emulate Sgt. Jackson's from bootcamp,but I couldn't hold a candle to his style.Another gone art I guess.
How long have Marines been off Navy ships,CV's and Cruisers?I couldn't believe it when someone told me there are no sea going Marines anymore.Geez that's were we got started.Any answers will be appreciated.
Semper Fi

Zulu 36
08-28-10, 04:52 PM
Yep, no more Marine Detachments anymore. The Navy officially created a master-at-arms rate, expanded it, and they do all the stuff Marine Dets used to do. Now about the only ships with Marines as part of ship's company are amphibious ships, which only have a couple Marines for liaison with embarked troops. It's been this way since 1990s(?).

Marine fighter squadrons have been flying off carriers a little more often recently.

I don't know about cadence. In the video's I've seen lately, I could hear differences.

Things do change over time. I discussed some of these boot camp differences with my father while on boot leave. There were significant differences between his days at MCRDSD in 1943 and mine in 1971. The bare basics were (and are) the same: recruits are turds, one learned drill and discipline, got into shape, and learned basic marksmanship skills. But many of the means had changed, including drill commands.

Old Marine
08-28-10, 05:18 PM
Squads Right, March.

BR34
08-28-10, 05:35 PM
No Marines on ships? You mean other than MEUs? I know quite a large amount of Marines (500 Marines and 1100 sailors ) from the Lejeune area aboard CP10 (non-MEU) floating around the South American Atlantic coast right now.

Here's more info on CP10:

http://www.southcom.mil/appssc/factFiles.php?id=155

Zulu 36
08-28-10, 05:56 PM
No Marines on ships? You mean other than MEUs? I know quite a large amount of Marines (500 Marines and 1100 sailors ) from the Lejeune area aboard CP10 (non-MEU) floating around the South American Atlantic coast right now.

Here's more info on CP10:

http://www.southcom.mil/appssc/factFiles.php?id=155

We were discussing Marine Detachments aboard carriers, battleships, and cruisers. Part of the ship's crew. The old sea-going Marines of yore.

MEU's or the CP10 involve embarked troops, not MarDets.

Wyoming
08-28-10, 06:00 PM
I thought we were calling cadence.:confused:

I'm confused, but then I just fixed me 2nd Scotch.

BR34
08-28-10, 06:28 PM
We were discussing Marine Detachments aboard carriers, battleships, and cruisers. Part of the ship's crew. The old sea-going Marines of yore.

MEU's or the CP10 involve embarked troops, not MarDets.

Ahh, gotcha.

So Marine Detachments of old actually worked aboard the ship? Part of the crew, security?

Wyoming
08-28-10, 07:17 PM
Ahh, gotcha.

So Marine Detachments of old actually worked aboard the ship? Part of the crew, security?

As I recall, they ran the brig and were the Admirals security or some such.

Zulu 36
08-28-10, 07:45 PM
Ahh, gotcha.

Yup, ship security, ship police, captain (and/or admiral's) orderly, landing parties, usually manned a secondary gun or two, or anti-aircraft guns, ran the brig, trained sailors in small arms and landing party tactics.

For a period prior to the elimination of MarDets, they were only aboard aircraft carriers with a primary duty of nuke security (weapons and reactor spaces).

Pre-Korean War, MarDets on capital ships were the MEUs of the day.

pocatellodave
08-28-10, 07:48 PM
We were security,ran the brig,orderlies for the brass,and were honor guards for guest visiting the ship.we were squared away,and I fondly recall my days as a sea going Marine.
Thanks for the answers on the cadence calling,and I agree there are some difference these days,but it's not like I recall.I'm sure there are some late 50's...early 60's Marines that know what I mean.
Time causes changes,and I'm glad that I can look back and compare things.The young Marines of the present have my admiration.It's a tough job they have to do in Iraq and Afghanistan,and they need all the support they can get.
Semper Fi

Old Marine
08-28-10, 09:20 PM
As I recall, they ran the brig and were the Admirals security or some such.

More commenly known as Sea Going Bellhops.

pocatellodave
08-28-10, 09:27 PM
More commenly known as Sea Going Bellhops.
Thanks for the kind words!

Old Marine
08-28-10, 09:48 PM
Your welcome.

usmc3521
08-29-10, 02:24 PM
Only the nasty army uses that 1234 crap. I think the USMC stopped that back in like 1776, jk. Its been a LONG time since any DI on the field has used numbers instead of the left/right cadance variation

pocatellodave
08-29-10, 03:21 PM
I must have just just got it wrong.I was watching a Parris Island boot camp program,and I didn't hear the familiar ell-eight els.The drill NCO was reading off a card,and I don't recall our drill...

BR34
08-29-10, 03:28 PM
That's a drill card. They use it for the initial and final drill competitions. It's not used throughout the Corps, or even on a daily basis AT Paris Island.