PDA

View Full Version : Question about Scout/Sniper Training

montanafury
08-26-10, 07:01 PM
Last summer I took a trip down to Camp Pendleton for a 'Deployment for Training.' All the instructors were either grunts or snipers. We covered a lot of things during the course that I wish I could remember, but one of the more innovative ones was apparently a scout/sniper exercise.

The gist of it was that you do some quick PT (we did a quarter mile run, some pushups, jumping jacks, and squats) then we'd stop and get a short amount of time to look at a pile of items on the ground. Then you'd have to leave and try to recall as much information as possible about all the items. I guess it was to train snipers to remember as many details about their surroundings as possible, especially when under physical strain.

Anyway, I was hoping somebody could tell me the name of the exercise? Seems like a good way to break up regular old PT

Zulu 36
08-26-10, 07:10 PM
Last summer I took a trip down to Camp Pendleton for a 'Deployment for Training.' All the instructors were either grunts or snipers. We covered a lot of things during the course that I wish I could remember, but one of the more innovative ones was apparently a scout/sniper exercise.

The gist of it was that you do some quick PT (we did a quarter mile run, some pushups, jumping jacks, and squats) then we'd stop and get a short amount of time to look at a pile of items on the ground. Then you'd have to leave and try to recall as much information as possible about all the items. I guess it was to train snipers to remember as many details about their surroundings as possible, especially when under physical strain.

Anyway, I was hoping somebody could tell me the name of the exercise? Seems like a good way to break up regular old PT

Its an observation and memory exercise. Also known as "Kim's Game" or the "Jewel Game."

The PT bumps up the heart rate to make the exercise a little more of a challenge. We did similar things at the police academy and SWAT courses for police officers. Also do them in Boy Scouts.

montanafury
08-26-10, 07:16 PM
Awesome, thanks for the fast response. I know what we're doing next week ^_^

Zulu 36
08-26-10, 07:29 PM
Awesome, thanks for the fast response. I know what we're doing next week ^_^

No prob, my pleasure. Actually the name, Kim's Game, comes from a Rudyard Kipling story called (wait for it), "Kim," about a young man in training to be a spy. So the idea isn't terribly new.

The Boy Scouts adopted the game very early in their history and it is still a common contest game played at scout events today.