PDA

View Full Version : Two a days, swollen triceps, 10 hospitalized; creatine?!

SlingerDun
08-22-10, 09:40 PM
http://www.newsregister.com/article/45276-players+vow+get+back+game

kenrobg30
08-23-10, 10:36 AM
http://www.newsregister.com/article/45276-players+vow+get+back+game

I thought you were hurt Dave!! I was going to ask , were you stepped on by a horse, or a Mule?? ;) S/F!! KEN

hbharrison
08-23-10, 10:49 AM
Slinger no where in that did I read (why?) what happened to them.

Zulu 36
08-23-10, 11:23 AM
What the talking doctor heads have been saying on TV is the compartment syndrome the players are suffering from are consistent with physical exertion in extreme heat, dehydration, and probably excessive use of creatinine products.

Combined, these effects cause muscle fibers to rupture, generally in the arms or legs.

Normal creatinine levels for males is 60-110 μmol/L. According to the TV docs, some of those kids had levels in excess of 45,000.

They don't think steroids are the cause, although they can cause this tissue rupture too, but it takes a longer time. Having a bunch of people on the same team suddenly experience compartment syndrome points more to the heat, dehydration, and excess creatinine cause.

SlingerDun
08-23-10, 03:27 PM
Lemon-Lime Gatorade in glass quarts made it's way into our camp when i was a pee wee athlete but the coach would only buy a couple jugs for sipping: reward on game days. Often it sat the bench relatively untouched where coach could keep an eye on it until somebody made the highlight reel. During practice it was a couple dozen kids lined up at the spigot for clear supplement.
Some of us built fence, bucked bailed hay and burmed irrigation ditches during the summer, no blown out muscles. Cut and split cord wood, wrastled calves to the ground in the heat and dust, no compartment syndrome, very little water. Now i know better:nerd:

SoonToBe3521
08-23-10, 04:02 PM
I can't believe I just happened to click on your post, this is my high school! I know all of those boys, lol in fact one of them is my best friend's brother. Now it's up to 19 kids hospitalized, 24 were originally, out of the 35. The majority are being tested for kidney failure. I'm amazed that my little town's school made it to the news lol!

SlingerDun
08-23-10, 05:20 PM
yeah news from McMinnville these days is usually about wine grapes and bed n breakfast, not muscle milk... so what's the preferred jock supplement at your high school? surely you must see empties scattered around from time to time

SoonToBe3521
08-23-10, 05:41 PM
Well I just graduated last year but all the guys in sports in my class always had their protein shakes with them in the morning, I know some that took creatine on purpose too. Nobody at my school ever did any real "healthy" work, to be completely honest. I know ones that would load up on exlax so they'd drop weight for wrestling or something, it was just kinda gross really.