PDA

View Full Version : Advice for those newly separated or salts opening claims

wisconsinwalter
08-21-10, 08:32 PM
Do don't give over your records once you get them from however they are given now. Even my County Service Rep said not to send them to the VA. You may never see them again

In the late 80's they came on microfiche and were sent to us. With out these fiche I would be screwed as the VA record keeping is spotty at best. Try having them read. The VA can't read them either. When you say they are on fiche, you get a dumb look like WTF are those!

Another important exam to keep is your entry exam if you have it. They try hard to disprove your claims by trying to push for this exam. I don't have mine and it really added alot of time even though my military health record clearly shows my injurys happened while in service.

This may be moot if they are now on disc now

thefedgotme
08-23-10, 11:32 AM
The best tip would be to take the fiche to your local library and print off paper copies of your records to submit with your claim and retain the fiche yourself. We deal with these records on a daily basis and they take longer to handle because the powers that be require us to process a certain number of claims a day, so fiche claims take a back seat because they are time consuming.

wisconsinwalter
08-23-10, 11:43 AM
Great info! I will not hand mine over. That is all there is for me to fall back on.

You work fo rthe VA now? What do you do?

spotts
08-23-10, 12:02 PM
It is also a good idea to keep a copy of any and all paperwork that you submit to Veteran Affairs. I am a Veteran Services Representative in the Philadelphia Veteran Affairs Regional Office.

wisconsinwalter
08-23-10, 12:08 PM
Let me ask you Spotts, Do you know why they push so hard for entry exams? I was dismayed by mine not being in my health record. What does that prove for them?

BTW, I feel the VSR's I have spoke with have done an excellent job helping me get through the system. It helps to have vets helping vets!

spotts
08-23-10, 12:13 PM
I work on the pension side so I work more with the Live pensions and Death Pensions for vets and their families. I have worked on dual teams with Comp issues though. The push seems to be to determine if the injury was incurred during service or just a previous injury that was aggravated by service.

Keep yourself updated with the va websites because the laws are constantly changing to give veterans more benefits. If you have any trouble dont hesitate to PM me and Ill try and work with you through the problem or the paperwork.

wisconsinwalter
08-23-10, 03:33 PM
I work on the pension side so I work more with the Live pensions and Death Pensions for vets and their families. I have worked on dual teams with Comp issues though. The push seems to be to determine if the injury was incurred during service or just a previous injury that was aggravated by service.

Keep yourself updated with the va websites because the laws are constantly changing to give veterans more benefits. If you have any trouble dont hesitate to PM me and Ill try and work with you through the problem or the paperwork.

Semper Fi!

thefedgotme
08-24-10, 02:31 PM
another place to stay up to date on whats going on with the VA is through the new social networking initiatives. they have set up facebook pages and twitter accounts for the main VA page and also set up pages for the Veterans Benefits Administration and a page for the Veterans Health Administration...they pass out good info on these pages all of the time

Sgt Leprechaun
09-01-10, 04:29 AM
I'm reaching the 'less than impressed' point with my claim, feeling like it'll NEVER even get looked at. Almost a year now and no C&P...and I provided (copies not originals) a HUGE azzed pile of paper when I submitted my stuff. My Doc had the packet ready to roll as well.... But here I still sit, not a davmn word from from the VA (except for the expected, 'We need more info', which was sent).

Rant over. I'm just disgusted that's all.

Obviously, NEVER EVER give the gummint originals of ANYTHING you have.

spotts
09-01-10, 05:42 AM
Sgt Lep. you need to write to a Congressman, Senator, Govenor, etc. Explain to them in detail how long you have waited and your frustration. They will make a congressional inquiry and get the ball rolling. I work for the VA in Philly.

wisconsinwalter
09-01-10, 06:38 AM
It's tough. But I kinda have changed my attitude towards waiting. I spoke with fella on the phone recently about mine and he told me he was vet as well and they really try hard for us. The bottleneck can be caused by the red tape. Example is the guidelines for percentage rated for each claim. There is some holy Grail they consult to determine ratings

I hope yours gets done soon Sgt Lep. I do believe once you get close to 30% it gets harder to get. I look at it as a Cd at the bank

Sgt Leprechaun
09-03-10, 06:30 PM
Thanks fellas. I also heard that starting a CongInt basically gums up the process even more. It's just frustrating. Again, not even scheduled for a C&P yet. I know it was a lot of stuff to go through, and as ya'll said, it'll pay off in the 'back' end....but I can't work as much as I once did, so I need the stuff sooner rather than later LOL. Of course it's the same old story, but I stopped working (so much, still employed) 'cause the VA counselor told me too LOL.

Ah well.

USNAviator
09-03-10, 08:00 PM
Jason

I know it does some good to write, call and generally pester your Reps.

I lost my wallet in April. Informed the powers that be who in turn informed the DOD. They put a hold on all my accounts, ceased my retired pay and generally made my life hell

Somebody told me to "write my Senator". I thought it was a joke but I sent an email anyway. Nothing happened so then I called, talked with an underling, told my story and was politely told the Senator would get back to me as soon as he was free. Well no sooner than 30 minutes I get a call, my Senator James Webb, Marine, NC holder was talking to me

He said he'll have someone get it straightened out and with 48 hours all was back to normal. So, I know it works but in typical military FUBAR, they are a month behind with my payments. I figure they'll catch up the month after I'm gone ;)

Sgt Leprechaun
09-03-10, 08:39 PM
Thanks sir....and I'm glad you got THAT fixed.

USNAviator
09-03-10, 09:17 PM
Thanks sir....and I'm glad you got THAT fixed.

So were my creditors.....lol

Sgt Leprechaun
09-03-10, 09:30 PM
I'm sure! I'm still reluctant, though, to do a CongInt. I'm sure there are plenty of other people waiting longer than me. And I really don't want to see my paperwork 'lost/delayed/spindled' etc.

larry99
09-09-10, 11:28 PM
get an avocate they know about this remember were just grunts

Sgt Leprechaun
09-09-10, 11:31 PM
Have one. And I'm being helped now thanks to a member of this forum. At least I know what the heck is going on....although it looks to me like it's going to be delayed some more. Sigh. "Process worship cripples operating forces".