PDA

View Full Version : Fasting before I join the Marine Corps.

Dillon
08-18-10, 07:47 PM
18 out of 40 days of no food, I'm an atheist but I like to think I'm philosophically inclined... I simply don't have enough long term energy to PT and when I do exercise (on my own time) I always have something to drink before and after to give me the energy required.

How do I keep my recruiter at bay from asking me to PT? I intend to go back to regularly PT with them (the poolees) after my fast. And I have been keeping myself in shape and even getting into better shape during this fast.

But it requires a lot of rest.

Dustin Griffith
08-18-10, 09:19 PM
Thats most retarded thing ever. Eat food. Its good for you.

Steve018
08-18-10, 09:28 PM
Firstly, if u need energy before a workout, why the hell fast. Food is energy, get a good diet and you'll be like the energizer bunny. Fasting before boot camp is like chopping ur you know what before you do that certain activity. Boot camp won't be a buffet, you will be hungry a lot so fasting is a no no.

BassPro0007
08-18-10, 09:46 PM
Wow. This is dumb. Go away.:thumbdown

Dillon
08-18-10, 10:05 PM
Firstly, if u need energy before a workout, why the hell fast. Food is energy, get a good diet and you'll be like the energizer bunny. Fasting before boot camp is like chopping ur you know what before you do that certain activity. Boot camp won't be a buffet, you will be hungry a lot so fasting is a no no.

I still have quite some time before I ship out. I'll be fine.

Dillon
08-18-10, 10:14 PM
Wow. This is dumb. Go away.:thumbdown
Not everyone thrives from hatred and war... there are many who would rather strive for understanding and peace.

BassPro0007
08-18-10, 10:24 PM
Not everyone thrives from hatred and war... there are many who would rather strive for understanding and peace.

My comment had nothing to do with "thriving on hatred and war." Not eating for fourty days is unsafe and more so UNHEALTHY, which in a way shows your dedication to the Marine Corp that requires you to be HEALTHY.

Dustin Griffith
08-18-10, 10:29 PM
Maybe you should become a monk instead of a Marine.

Hummel
08-19-10, 12:05 AM
Maybe you should become a monk instead of a Marine.

He already stated he is an athiest...

Maybe he should become a pot smoking liberal hippy... Free pass to a communist country there...

Dillon, you surely haven't started off on the right foot on this one. talking of being an Athiest, going on a fast and trying to find a way to get out of PT. Saying some crap about Peace and understanding... we all want our chance at killing Americas enemy but we aren't war-mongering machines that thrive on hatred.

99% of us here believe in a God, be it the Judo-Christian, Muslim, buddist.
We all PT our Hardest and do it even when we are missing out on all the fun things that those others the same age are doing. and that makes us hate slackers.

Best for you to stay low for a bit bud... and Eat some Damn food! :banana:

Dillon
08-19-10, 12:44 AM
Dillon, you surely haven't started off on the right foot on this one. talking of being an Athiest, going on a fast and trying to find a way to get out of PT. You're right, I should be way more open about being a peace loving atheist. And it's not that I'm trying to find a way to get out of PT, I can write you a list of excuses if you want one, but between Fasting and PT I'd choose PT. Fasting is not as easy as running for 15 minutes or doing a few push ups/sit ups/pull ups there lad. ;)

we all want our chance at killing Americas enemy

Careful there... following a cause blindly and without question can be quite dangerous. Nothing should ever go unquestioned.

99% of us here believe in a God, be it the Judo-Christian, Muslim, buddist.[quote]

There's 1% then that are agnostic or atheist, why should they be treated any less equally?

[quote]We all PT our Hardest and do it even when we are missing out on all the fun things that those others the same age are doing.
like eating? :confused:

and that makes us hate slackers.

hate is the corruption of one's mind for it clouds them of better judgment.

Best for you to stay low for a bit bud... and Eat some Damn food!

It takes honor, courage, and commitment to stay the course of 40 days without eating. Alas even honor and courage may or may not be as powerful as compassion.

Dillon
08-19-10, 12:55 AM
My comment had nothing to do with "thriving on hatred and war." Not eating for fourty days is unsafe and more so UNHEALTHY, which in a way shows your dedication to the Marine Corp that requires you to be HEALTHY.

I'm just going to leave this here. May you re-edumacate yourself on this field. http://falconblanco.com/health/fasting.htm

Fasting is VERY healthy, Starving yourself is not, there IS a difference between the two. Starvation and not eating(fasting) that is...

franksg99
08-19-10, 01:04 AM
Problem: Can't PT because of no food.

Solution: Eat food.

Pretty simple.

steggy
08-19-10, 01:33 AM
http://falconblanco.com/health/disclaimer.htm

Read the medical disclaimer from that same web site.

Once I start to hear all this hokus pokus talk about clearing "toxins" from the body alarm bells go off. It's just more of that holistic medicine nonsense.

As for the atheism, you have a right to believe what you want, but I don't know what it has to do with PT or fasting. That part of this thread is useless.

Nate2004
08-19-10, 04:40 AM
He already stated he is an athiest...
...99% of us here believe in a God, be it the Judo-Christian, Muslim, buddist.

What was the point of even stating this? Who cares about ones beliefs, as this is a country founded on the freedom of belief, or lack of.

sparkie
08-19-10, 07:07 AM
Simply put, you may stop eating but your body does not. Get off your ego trip and stop digesting yourself, or you will have to be carried off the bus.

Stupid thread.

BassPro0007
08-19-10, 11:36 AM
"Argue with an idiot and from a distance no one can tell a difference" -Unknown

Im done with this conversation. Best of luck to you with your fasting.

Hummel
08-19-10, 08:21 PM
[quote=Dillon;687010]You're right, I should be way more open about being a peace loving atheist. And it's not that I'm trying to find a way to get out of PT, I can write you a list of excuses if you want one, but between Fasting and PT I'd choose PT. Fasting is not as easy as running for 15 minutes or doing a few push ups/sit ups/pull ups there lad. ;)

To respond... peave loving atheist? why are you joining the Marine Corps?
You clearly stated in your opening post you wanted to get out of PTing.
You have no idea about fasting, I've wrestled for 11 years on a team that was ranked nationally and wrestled with the Countries top wrestlers. Try three 2 hour practices a day with only drinking a bottle of water and eating a peice of toast... you atleast get to drink water, when cutting weight you go with out.

We don't follow blindly we all took a clearly stated oath, re-read it. Cause it obvoiusly didn't mean alot to you.

Why should you be treated any better? We all PT when we are asked to... do it or don't take up a slot that someone motivated could use.

From what I can tell, I wouldn't go into battle with you, ever. Go PT, get a realistic view off yourself and the world. I'm done with this crap, your probably going to try and make some smart allick after this. Every athiest/agnostic I've talked to has the same attitude.

jinelson
08-19-10, 09:23 PM
Dang Tanner well said well said indeed.

Jim

Rough Hands
08-19-10, 09:36 PM
Every athiest/agnostic I've talked to has the same attitude.

The rest of your post makes a good point, but lets not go making generalities. Some of us don't have strict beliefs in higher powers, but yet don't let it define us, and I, for one, am very respectful of other religious beliefs or lack thereof.

A lot of kids these days will use "atheist" as a label as a means to rebel, or to be different, or just for the sake of ignorantly bashing ignorant religious-based intolerance, which is just as bad. Not everybody lets their religious beliefs define them, nor do they use it as a label.

By no means am I a "peace-loving hippie", but unwarranted conflict is just a waste of everybody's time and effort.

Now, about the original post. Seriously, you'll be shipping to boot camp within the next year or so, and you'll want to be there in the best possible shape of your life; screwing up your diet by "fasting" for over a month isn't going to help that process along nor will missing out on some crucial group PT. I'm not messing with you on this - your body needs food, and a substantial amount since you're probably a young adult male, I assume. When your body don't get the nutrients it needs from the foods that you consume, it literally eats away at your muscle for energy. Not only that, it's gonna mess with your metabolism and it'll take you a while to get it back on track.

There are kids out there who would do ANYTHING to have your spot in the DEP - I've had two messages from some female wannabes telling me how lucky I am to have the privilege to make the attempt to earn the title of Marine. They can't even get into the DEP because of medical related issues. I think of them every single time I think of giving up or half-assing something.

If you act like a ****bird now, you're gonna be that guy in boot camp that everybody blames for the platoon's problems. Just another Pvt. Pyle. Don't be that guy.

VanderFool
08-19-10, 09:44 PM
this is dumb

Dillon
08-19-10, 11:49 PM
To respond... peace loving atheist? why are you joining the Marine Corps?
The more support this war receives the sooner it can end.

You clearly stated in your opening post you wanted to get out of PTing. Only for the duration of which I'm fasting.

You have no idea about fasting, I've wrestled for 11 years on a team that was ranked nationally and wrestled with the Countries top wrestlers. Try three 2 hour practices a day with only drinking a bottle of water and eating a piece of toast... you at least get to drink water, when cutting weight you go with out.

A person should have a gallon of water per 100 pounds to stay hydrated.

We don't follow blindly we all took a clearly stated oath, re-read it. Cause it obviously didn't mean a lot to you. Nope.

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

It's an outdated oath. Here's an oath I wouldn't mind taking seriously though.

I (Name) do solemnly swear, that I will protect the rights and freedoms of all people foreign and domestic, and that I shall fight only for peace and equality...

I mean seriously the President or the officers could be corrupt, if I took orders from corrupt people how then would that make me better from my enemy?

Why should you be treated any better?

Because I'm to sexy for the Marine Corps, I'm to sexy for the Marine Corps, To sexy, to sexy.

We all PT when we are asked to... do it or don't take up a slot that someone motivated could use.

boring, I don't need people to say stay motivated to motivate me... so long as I have my Carl Sagan I'll be fine.

From what I can tell, I wouldn't go into battle with you, ever.

We don't choose who we get to go into battle with.

Go PT, get a realistic view of yourself and the world.

I'm an Objectivist.

I'm done with this crap, your probably going to try and make some smart remark after this. Every atheist/agnostic I've talked to has the same attitude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Kyi0WNg40&feature=related

Dillon
08-20-10, 12:07 AM
The rest of your post makes a good point, but lets not go making generalities. Some of us don't have strict beliefs in higher powers, but yet don't let it define us, and I, for one, am very respectful of other religious beliefs or lack thereof.

A lot of kids these days will use "atheist" as a label as a means to rebel, or to be different, or just for the sake of ignorantly bashing ignorant religious-based intolerance, which is just as bad.

I've been an atheist for 3 years, and an agnostic for 2 years before that. I only mentioned that I was an atheist in my original post to close the future prospect of posts that I was doing it for religious reasons (the fast), I didn't think it would be THAT important that I was an atheist.

By no means am I a "peace-loving hippie", but unwarranted conflict is just a waste of everybody's time and effort.

They started it and we're going to end it, we're facing an enemy that won't stop, even if we just drop our weapons and leave, they'll continue and proceed to shoot us in our backs.

Now, about the original post. Seriously, you'll be shipping to boot camp within the next year or so, and you'll want to be there in the best possible shape of your life; screwing up your diet by "fasting" for over a month isn't going to help that process along nor will missing out on some crucial group PT. I'm not messing with you on this - your body needs food, and a substantial amount since you're probably a young adult male, I assume. When your body don't get the nutrients it needs from the foods that you consume, it literally eats away at your muscle for energy. Not only that, it's gonna mess with your metabolism and it'll take you a while to get it back on track.

I messed my own metabolism up about 6 years ago when I chose an unhealthy lifestyle and eating habits, I like to think of it as not messing up my metabolism but fixing it.

There are kids out there who would do ANYTHING to have your spot in the DEP - I've had two messages from some female wannabes telling me how lucky I am to have the privilege to make the attempt to earn the title of Marine. They can't even get into the DEP because of medical related issues. I think of them every single time I think of giving up or half-assing something.

I think about unifying the human race and how much better the world will be off when it finally comes to fruition. Think about it, organized relief efforts on a global scale, free education everywhere, equality everywhere, a single language, a global economy... population control... ah... the good stuff...

If you act like a ****bird now, you're gonna be that guy in boot camp that everybody blames for the platoon's problems. Just another Pvt. Pyle. Don't be that guy.

I have the distinct feeling that Private Pyle was drafted, I volunteered... and I would like to say that the only draft I feel comfortable with is a draft for the Peace Corps.

sbryson21
08-20-10, 12:17 AM
Well you're well on your way to being another condescending American progressive, kid. You should definately consider just running for office, you'd fit right in the current administration.

BassPro0007
08-20-10, 12:41 AM
I've caught on to your game. Your a loser that has no friends and your only entertainment is to make people mad over the internet. ( Because if you did it in real life you would get the living S$%& beat out of you ) Good try but im going to inform someone to get you kicked off the site.

Dillon
08-20-10, 03:25 AM
I've caught on to your game. Your a loser that has no friends and your only entertainment is to make people mad over the internet. ( Because if you did it in real life you would get the living S$%& beat out of you ) Good try but im going to inform someone to get you kicked off the site.

"No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under GOD." You want to know who said that? George Bush Senior while he was in office, that's one of the many reasons why I don't take the oath of enlistment seriously. Anything you may have found offensive was in either humor or complete honesty.

I've thought about all of this long and hard, and I'm still thinking about it, I shall never stop thinking and I hope I will never stop having an open mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdVucvo-kDU

berts78
08-20-10, 04:09 AM
18 out of 40 days of no food, I'm an atheist but I like to think I'm philosophically inclined... I simply don't have enough long term energy to PT and when I do exercise (on my own time) I always have something to drink before and after to give me the energy required.

How do I keep my recruiter at bay from asking me to PT? I intend to go back to regularly PT with them (the poolees) after my fast. And I have been keeping myself in shape and even getting into better shape during this fast.

But it requires a lot of rest.

what are you fasting for? (sorry i skipped what everyone else said and just wrote what i pleased)

Good Squire
08-20-10, 06:35 AM
I think about unifying the human race and how much better the world will be off when it finally comes to fruition. Think about it, organized relief efforts on a global scale, free education everywhere, equality everywhere, a single language, a global economy... population control... ah... the good stuff...

You little piece of trash, you're cut from the same cloth as the hippies that spat on returning troops coming home from Vietnam. Please, just take a pistol, insert the barrel in your mouth and pull the trigger.

TheNewYorker
08-20-10, 09:48 AM
I dont see the point of fasting..

Seems to me you were too lazy to properly diet and do proper PT sessions in order to lose weight during your time in the DEP, and now your only option is to fast before you ship.

You need to eat so you can have evergy, plain and simple... This seems like a desperate attempt to "make weight" to satisfy your contract requirements.

Dilion, get to the gym, and make it happen... As the little Poolee Booklet says "No one ever drowned in their own sweat".

I wont bash or curse you, and dont take this as an insult, but one thing I see Marines stress most of all is intergrity. Please take a few minutes to Google the word and see why it is so important, and also try to understand its relevance.

I wish you the best of luck.