PDA

View Full Version : prk eye surgery replaced by asa??

boxinggsxr
08-18-10, 03:12 PM
Can any1 confirm if the Marine Corps will allow ASA for flight slots I know PRK is what they have only been taking for past years but it is a little out of date and ASA is the latest eye surgery and is FDA certified. Semper

boxinggsxr
08-29-10, 03:14 PM
okay any1 know how hard it is to get eye surgery paid for? I was told during upcoming this upcoming activation i might be able to get it but i doubt i would be able to leave the field or go on a sat to get surgery, so im thinking of just getting lasik here in town

Supersquishy
08-30-10, 04:53 AM
My brother got his eyes done when he was AD Marines from the Navy no cost to him. Wish I had done the same.

gwamo1
08-30-10, 08:01 AM
okay any1 know how hard it is to get eye surgery paid for? I was told during upcoming this upcoming activation i might be able to get it but i doubt i would be able to leave the field or go on a sat to get surgery, so im thinking of just getting lasik here in town

If your asking how much it would cost for you to do the surgery, I have no idea. You would HAVE to take leave as you can't really open your eyes for a day or 2 afterwards.

boxinggsxr
08-30-10, 02:06 PM
My wife got it done out in town and she walked out fine and so have 2 other friends of mine. I have heard of it being free if we get it through the navy but how does that work since im going to be starting pre deployment training?? I'm sure i wont be able to leave during it so thats why im trying to get it done this week (really dont wana be in afghan with glasses).
i guess im asking how can we get the navy to cover it or jump on there list? Do they have out of town doctors through tricare that cover it? Thanks

gwamo1
08-31-10, 07:41 AM
I got lasik through the Navy, so PRK might be different. I know I would of been useless if I had to go to work the next day. Seeing as how your starting predeployment training I doubt you could start.... But try it! Just go to the optomotrist on base and get a lasik evaluation or whatever. A person I work with got denied because his eyes are too bad. But check it out.

boxinggsxr
08-31-10, 06:04 PM
ok thanks Corporal I talked to the medical chief he said he was looking into the dead line today to see when it would be too late to get it done and what not. So you got your lasik on base?

rheinmark187
08-31-10, 06:15 PM
My wife got it done out in town and she walked out fine and so have 2 other friends of mine. I have heard of it being free if we get it through the navy but how does that work since im going to be starting pre deployment training?? I'm sure i wont be able to leave during it so thats why im trying to get it done this week (really dont wana be in afghan with glasses).
i guess im asking how can we get the navy to cover it or jump on there list? Do they have out of town doctors through tricare that cover it? Thanks

I wonder if the Navy will do that for a reservist?

USMC-Fox
08-31-10, 07:09 PM
I got PRK last year. I had the choice of either PRK or Lasik. I've never heard of any other procedure being done in the military.

boxinggsxr
09-09-10, 02:06 AM
I dont believe they will cover it, right tricare is covering my wife and I at 100% because I'm deploying now but i didn't want to have the hassle of glasses any longer or contacts in the field. I ended up finding a prk surgeon about 5 hours away im going to go to because it is $2000 less than ilasik and the doc is board certified. That and when we get back i'm planning on finishing up with last 2 years of college and PLC for ocs.

It would've been nice if navy/tricare or Marine Corps could've paid for it but either way i was going to get it and at the price i was quoted sounds too good to pass up thanks.