PDA

View Full Version : A sad day for Dunk's boys

Deduke
08-17-10, 10:39 PM
I am sending this to all of the people who know Gene or at least have heard me speak of him. I consider Gene to be my closest friend in the world. He was my Company Commander in 1st Tank Battalion and we were together in Viet Nam with the Combined Action Force. I can honestly say I learned how to be a good Marine by being close to him.
When Gene and I co-authored "Green Side Out" it opened a lot of new doors for us. Together, we traveled around various Marine Corps Bases giving motivational talks and making friends of the "new" Marines. Having Major Gene Duncan as a close friend for 49 years I count as one of the blessings in my life.
He sent me an E-mail on Saturday with the following information. "I have cancer throughout my body... and the doctor has told me I have a month or perhaps a little more."

I am leaving here (Kansas City) with my son-in-law to drive to Gene's home in Fort Wayne, IN on Friday morning.

Please pray for him.

God Bless,

Tom Moore

Sgt Leprechaun
08-18-10, 01:47 AM
Damn!

I love his books, (and yours)...

They got me through some rough patches and helped me be a better Marine.

Please keep us updated as best you can, sir.

Deduke
08-18-10, 02:10 AM
I'm not a Sir, I'm a ****-ant Lcpl. I do, however, have a picture of Major Duncan with his arm around the shoulders of a particular ****-ant L/cpl. It is classic Duncan. Word got around the officer corps in Vietnam that "you do not **** with Dunk's boys". Thank God that I am one of Dunk's boys.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-18-10, 02:13 AM
LOL. "So noted". That is outstanding.

Please keep us updated on Dunk's status...

Deduke
08-18-10, 02:25 AM
Thank you, Sir. Dunk enlisted in 1945 but was too late. He served in Korea and then Vietnam. He earned the rank of Gunny before going through the Warrant ranks. He then earned the rank of Major of Marines. He also earned the respect of his boys. He is one Hell of a man.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-18-10, 02:41 AM
Yep! I was (and still am) an avid reader of his books.

TJR1070
08-18-10, 05:57 AM
Prayers going out for Major Duncan. Are Green side out/Brown side out required reading for current Marines, if not they should be. I remeber reading them when I was active and thinking that maybe a few people in the Marine Corps did have a sense of humor. Of course none of them seemed to be around ever.

USNAviator
08-18-10, 06:28 AM
"He sent me an E-mail on Saturday with the following information. "I have cancer throughout my body... and the doctor has told me I have a month or perhaps a little more."

I am leaving here (Kansas City) with my son-in-law to drive to Gene's home in Fort Wayne, IN on Friday morning.

Please pray for him."

Tom

My prayers are going out for Major Duncan. May he take comfort in his final days knowing that his friends and family are with him

kenrobg30
08-18-10, 12:33 PM
I'm sorry to say , I haven't read his books, nor did I know him the last I can't do anything about, but the first I will correct. Sempre Fidelis , Sir.
Ken

Osotogary
08-18-10, 12:44 PM
May the Major Duncans' last days be as peaceful and calm as befits one of his character and strength.

Deduke
08-18-10, 12:46 PM
Received from Major Duncan this morning.

RULE NUMBER ONE for those planning a visit to Duncan's Tank Park
NO LONG FACES!!! SMILES AND LAUGHTER ONLY. REMEMBER THE GOOD TIMES OR
I WILL SEAL UP THE SCOTCH BOTTLES.

Gene

SHOOT STRAIGHT -- AND OFTEN

jetdawgg
08-18-10, 01:41 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3vtZJ-qOfT5BXCj3Lj5xFYolkS0p5k4zYC6kH_82onJkEoiw&t=1&usg=__xJRPFEosG-HZWGUkJKU8g1jIG_s=

Danny C Smith
08-18-10, 01:45 PM
I'm sorry to say , I haven't read his books, nor did I know him the last I can't do anything about, but the first I will correct. Sempre Fidelis , Sir.
Ken

Same here. I will be ordering Green Side Out today.
Prayers outbound for all Family and Friends of the Major.
Hand Salute.
Semper Fi.

Deduke
08-18-10, 05:39 PM
Damn!

I love his books, (and yours)...

They got me through some rough patches and helped me be a better Marine.

Please keep us updated as best you can, sir.

Just to clear up any confusion, I copied the e-mail sent to me by Capt. Tom Moore. The Skipper and Dunk have been best friends for 49 years. I am not Tom Moore, I am L/cpl Mike Smith.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-24-10, 08:24 AM
Got it. Thanks. Keep us in the loop!

Deduke
09-06-10, 08:26 PM
--- On Sun, 8/22/10, Gene Duncan <gduncan1775@yahoo.com> wrote:

Date: Sunday, August 22, 2010, 8:13 AM

As most of you know, the medics give me about a monthg to live. But here's an
upbeat message.

Yesterday, 21 August, We had a gathering at the Duncan Command Post. Retired
Captain Tom Moore and his son in law were here. Former Marine Bob Hall and his
wife. Several others, including my neighbors who cooked up chicken, potato salad
and other goodies. Tom's son in law is a professional Irish Folk Song
master, and we had a hell of a good time.

I am overawed with the folks who are going to the trouble and expense of coming
to see this old tanker. I am humbled.

Don't know how much longer God has alloted me, but my final hours, days, weeks
are more gratifying than I could ever hope for.

Next week my son, David -- and many more visitors, will be here to help me get
the police shed cleaned out and ready for new police sergeant.

God bless all of you. I'll try to keep you posted. THANKS FOR BEING MY FRIENDS.

Semper Fi
Gene Duncan

SHOOT STRAIGHT -- AND OFTEN

Deduke
10-24-10, 06:56 PM
Just received this message from John Wear :

On October 22, I spoke over the telephone with Col "Casey" Casey. He had been up in Ft Wayne with "Dunk" on and off (mostly on) for the past three weeks. Je said that unfortunately Dunk had been given just a few weeks to live by his original VA doctor. He took one chemo treatment under this Dr and he almost died. Somehow he then was able get another (more competent?) Dr who drastically changed his chemo treatment (less severe) and gave Dunk a prognosis that added about two years on to the original two week proclaimation. Casey said that Dunk is now almost back to normal...but using a walker to get out to his deck for a smoke and a glass of Scotch (or two).

Ooo-Rah!!!

Sgt Leprechaun
10-25-10, 08:39 PM
OUTstanding!!!!!!