PDA

View Full Version : USMC and Tattoos (Serious Question?)

Zoltta1
08-17-10, 06:14 PM
Ok here is my problem. I am currently Infantry Reserve as an 0311. I have 2 tattoos, one is one my left forearm and other is on my right forearm. Now As of January 2010, there has been a modification to the Order on tattoo's. It States:

THE FOLLOWING ADDITIONAL GUIDANCE CLARIFIES THE MARINE CORPS TATTOO POLICY AND IS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. MARINES WHO DO NOT MEET THIS GUIDANCE WILL BE GRANDFATHERED PER PARAGRAPH 6.

INDIVIDUAL TATTOOS VISIBLE IN THE STANDARD PT UNIFORM (SHORTS AND T-SHIRT) WILL BE NO LARGER THAN THE WEARER'S HAND WITH FINGERS EXTENDED AND JOINED WITH THE THUMB TOUCHING THE BASE OF THE INDEX FINGER.

This is a modification to the policy stating that you cannot have ANY tattoos visible in PT gear. These are individual tattoo's, not combined or sleeves. They both can be completely covered by my hand as stated above. My Ssgt is telling me basically my career is F'ed because of it. He says i will never be able to hold a B Billet or go Active Duty.

Now the document states that if you have EXCESSIVE tattoo's you wont be eligible for B billets which includes DI, Recruiting, MSG etc etc. Now this states:

EXCESSIVE TATTOOS: WHEN THE COMBINED TATTOO COVERAGE ON A PARTICULAR BODY PART(S), I.E., LEG OR ARM, EXCEEDS ONE-QUARTER OF THE RESPECTIVE BODY PART(S) EXPOSED SURFACE WHILE THE INDIVIDUAL IS WEARING THE STANDARD PT UNIFORM.

Not sure what they mean by this.

And if my tats are of regulation, WHY would they deny me enlistment into Active Duty? Im not doing anything wrong?

Can anyone clarify anything?

irpat54
08-17-10, 06:20 PM
wish I could, when I was in tattoos were a majer pastime, seem like everybody was getting them. sorry.

usmc3521
08-17-10, 06:42 PM
why would you have a problem? Yours should be documented by a page 11 correct?

I have a full sleeve on my right arm and 4 on my left arm and my tattoo waiver was just approved 2 weeks ago. I am re enlisting after 10 years out as well.

As long as your documented your good, just don t get anymore visible in pt gear

Backhaus 1103
08-17-10, 08:44 PM
That policy isn't even enforced by my command, but it all depends on your chain of command. No one but the most motivated Sgt Major is actually going to check if you got your tatoos before or after that policy was put in place, so most people won't even give two ****s if you have full sleeves or no tatoos.

Zoltta1
08-17-10, 08:59 PM
yeah none of these guys care that i got them but they were trying to tell me, i couldnt do this or that because of it and i dont see any real problem with them. As long as i have my Page 11's and ISOprep done when needed, i should be good to go

Beltayn
08-17-10, 10:22 PM
Regarding MSG at least, it won't be a problem at all as long as they are properly documented.

revleo
08-18-10, 02:47 AM
hel you used to could tell the real old salts by how many and what kind of tattoos they had my DI's were walking adverts for the Marine Corps and pretty girls of course LOL i have a little Ink meself my corporal got me drunk and said you is gonna be marked by god and so there on my left arm close to my heart is the YouSmuc (USMC) in Gothic lettering do not worry any marine worth his kit bag is not gonna hound or pass you over for it

boecanales
09-13-10, 11:43 AM
why would you have a problem? Yours should be documented by a page 11 correct?

I have a full sleeve on my right arm and 4 on my left arm and my tattoo waiver was just approved 2 weeks ago. I am re enlisting after 10 years out as well.

As long as your documented your good, just don t get anymore visible in pt gear

how did you enlisted with a full sleeve??

usmc3521
09-13-10, 06:28 PM
Because I was a super secret socom/recon/ranger/seal Marine. I was the best!

No JK actually I got mine while I was in back in 1998/1999 but had no documentation. I just wrote a statement and had some Marines I served with write some as well and they passed my waiver.

If you have no prior service you are screwed for the most part.

My cousin has a **** ton of ink and he graduates from DI school next wednesday! I cant wait to go!!

boecanales
09-14-10, 10:00 AM
Nice! yeah im screwed! but hey kik some ass!!!

MasterGunsmith
09-15-10, 03:22 PM
Before the MCO on Tatoos it was said that as long as your Charlies covered up your tatoo you were okay for MSG. There should be no visible tattoos while wearing the uniform due to the Diplomatic Post you will be on. This is the State Department doing the selections not the Marine Corps. They don't want to have a Tattood Marine Standing gaurd duty at a U.S. Embassy as a representation of Americans and our Armed Forces as this is not acceptable in some places around the globe just as pointing your feet towards another person. They want professional looking Marines. Not Bikers.

usmc3521
09-15-10, 03:52 PM
dont judge me!!

j/k!

Marine1955
10-22-10, 12:23 PM
The Gunny on Tatoos
<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/u5NfWgSXIf4?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED></OBJECT>

hussaf
10-22-10, 04:27 PM
Hey all, quick question...didn't want to start a new thread.

What's the policy on how close to a deployment you can get a tattoo? I can't find it but I remember there being some sort of restriction. No one in my team cares or knows for sure...and really I only care if its recorded in my ISOPREP.

revleo
10-23-10, 02:18 PM
we should all listen.
I mean come on he is our generations.
version of Chesty if he has no problem with it.
why should anyone.

mongoace
10-26-10, 07:57 PM
How hard is it to get a tattoo waiver? I've been out 3 years and would like to go to the reserves, have about 1 year of IRR left. All of the posts talk about getting tattoos grandfathered, but I got the tattoo while in IRR. The tattoo is a sleeve. The reserve unit out where I live has their 0621 guy leaving for some reason, and I was asked if I wanted to take his spot. I figured why the heck not? The unit does need me, but do you all think I could get a waiver?

usmc987332
10-26-10, 08:33 PM
Ok here is my problem. I am currently Infantry Reserve as an 0311. I have 2 tattoos, one is one my left forearm and other is on my right forearm. Now As of January 2010, there has been a modification to the Order on tattoo's. It States:

This is a modification to the policy stating that you cannot have ANY tattoos visible in PT gear. These are individual tattoo's, not combined or sleeves. They both can be completely covered by my hand as stated above. My Ssgt is telling me basically my career is F'ed because of it. He says i will never be able to hold a B Billet or go Active Duty.

Now the document states that if you have EXCESSIVE tattoo's you wont be eligible for B billets which includes DI, Recruiting, MSG etc etc. Now this states:

Not sure what they mean by this.

And if my tats are of regulation, WHY would they deny me enlistment into Active Duty? Im not doing anything wrong?

Can anyone clarify anything?
Come on now!!! I have no tatoos and think they are stupid, but that gives me no right to bar other people from having them. With society being what it is today, I see absolutely no reason for barring tatoos. If they have postive proof that all people with tatoos are undesireable and corrupt, maybe they should bar them, otherwise let's spend our time being sure the real undesireables are kept out.

Let's say a total war breaks out. A tatoo and you don't have to go?