PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into shape...

DevilDogsSon269
08-17-10, 12:49 AM
I am cleared next week for PT. This was after waiting for a back injury to heal. I am now under my 70 days til I ship. Anyone have any advice for extra work outs to get back into shape prior to shipping. I have PT but I have to kick it into high gear and get back to where I was and still get fixed for adequate Recruit Training shape.

Cellinheim
08-17-10, 06:45 PM
http://www.*************/military-fitness/army-workouts/army-fitness-workout-planStart here, If you cannot do full reps cut them in half from ten to five until you can.

As for running... RUN! Start with your IST run then gradually work your way up. You should be able to add about half of a mile per week if you run regularly. The speed does not matter, just finish.

Cellinheim
08-17-10, 06:47 PM
Ok yeah I tried posting that apprently it is not doing it, I know there was some controversy about links at one time. I apologize Marines.

Poolee, attemtp to google "Stew Smith Super Sets." It should bring you to a military . com sub site.

Rough Hands
08-17-10, 07:00 PM
www. military .com/military-fitness/army-workouts/army-fitness-workout-plan

There, just remove the spaces. Sometimes the forum blocks certain links, depending on how they're posted. Not sure why.

Cellinheim
08-17-10, 07:49 PM
Thank you Rough Hands.

Hummel
08-18-10, 12:14 AM
I know what its like coming back from an injury.
For running, this is how I went about it the weeks after my leg felt good enough to run on.(Broke it, inch above the ankle, have a plate and 4 screws! fun times)

Monday - 2 miles
Tuesday - 2 Miles
Wednesday - 3 miles
Thursday - 2 miles
Friday - 3 miles

then as the weeks went on just added half miles or a mile here and there.

Lifting - lift 4-5 times a week.

for your crunches - do them every time you work out.

Remember to go easy if your back starts hurting or you have discomfort. Hate to re-injure something and have to push back your shipdate.

Steve018
08-18-10, 09:10 AM
http://www.oo-rah.com

This should help, just click on the "Fitness Articles" and you'll see what they have. Check out the 5 day workout plan and the deck of cards work out (haven't tried it yet but i hear its real good)

DevilDogsSon269
08-19-10, 12:55 PM
http://www.*************/military-fitness/army-workouts/army-fitness-workout-planStart here, If you cannot do full reps cut them in half from ten to five until you can.

As for running... RUN! Start with your IST run then gradually work your way up. You should be able to add about half of a mile per week if you run regularly. The speed does not matter, just finish.

Running is no problem. I was able to run even when I was on light duty. I can run circles around my last IST. My current run is passing/competitive in the PFT.

DevilDogsSon269
08-19-10, 01:04 PM
Thanks Marines and Poolees.

WAR-Machine
08-19-10, 01:40 PM
I'd recommend doing crossfit. We use variants of their workouts every PT session.

http://www.crossfit.com

DevilDogsSon269
08-19-10, 02:34 PM
Thanks.

If anyone is interested Ill post my current post injury work out(for those who may be in the same boat or later on may be)

Cellinheim
08-19-10, 05:55 PM
Thanks.

If anyone is interested Ill post my current post injury work out(for those who may be in the same boat or later on may be)

Go for it. I like to look at my workouts and determine which additions/substitutions would be best for me.

DevilDogsSon269
08-19-10, 06:28 PM
This is my conditioning workout to get back to where I need to be. I am adding and subtracting where ever my body tells since I am not at 100% yet. This is just a conditioning work out keep in mind this is not my normal daily schedule. I will add my daily one later on.

Day 1
100 push-ups- 4X25
100 Sit-ups- 4X25
200 Squats- 50X4
150 Lunges- 50X3
Run- max laps in full gear during the evening
Planks-20-10

Day 2
100 push-ups- 4X25
100 Sit-ups- 4X25
Run- max laps in full gear during mid day
Planks-20-10

Day 3
100 push-ups- 4X25
100 Sit-ups- 4X25
Run max laps in full gear during the morning without sleep
Planks-20-10

Day 4
100 push-ups- 4X25
100 Sit-ups- 4X25
Flutter kicks
Hail Marys
Leg lifts
Cherry Pickers
100 Vertical Crunches- 50X2 or 100X1
Planks-20-10

Day 5
100 push-ups- 4X25
100 Sit-ups- 4X25
Run Max Laps Optional Gear Anytime
Planks-20-10

Day 6
100 push-ups- 4X25
100 Sit-ups- 4X25
Run max laps Optional Gear during the Mid day
Planks 20-10

Day 7
100 push-ups- 4X25
100 Sit-ups- 4X25
Run Max laps upon waking up in PT gear
Run Max Laps during the evening in full gear
30 pound pack lift in 2 minutes
Planks- 20-10

baseball22
08-20-10, 02:29 AM
you want a short workout.. very much to the point... go to the ocs website.. www.ocs.usmc.mil (http://www.ocs.usmc.mil) look up the "90 days" workout... its what they say the candidates should be doing... and they have to submit a PFT score.. they don't get to do the IST...

and if you are having trouble with pullups.. every night while your sitting there watching TV... do a max set during every commercial break.. by the time you are ready to leave your pullups will go up about 5-6

baseball22
08-20-10, 02:37 AM
sorry.. i meant max set of PUSHUPS during every commercial break

DevilDogsSon269
08-20-10, 05:45 AM
the excersize posted is a post injury recovery workout. pull ups and pft or ist are out the window with this subject. The purpose of this post was for poolees to get helpful information on post injury workouts to get back into shape to be ready to ship.

DevilDogsSon269
08-21-10, 05:09 AM
the excersize posted is a post injury recovery workout. pull ups and pft or ist are out the window with this subject. The purpose of this post was for poolees to get helpful information on post injury workouts to get back into shape to be ready to ship.

For the people who PMed me and took what was said the wrong way. What I meant by this on here wasnt downing other workouts. The purpose of why I posted this subject at all was for poolees much like myself who may have to overcome injuries they receive while in the DEP. All work outs are welcomed, just keep in mind this is a POST injury post. The workouts while requiring effort are not comparable to the IST or PFT standards as the purpose of the POST injury workouts is to restrengthen the body after light(no PT) duty time periods in order to get the poolee back into shape to continue regular conditioning.

The body after an injury is never as strong as it was before and needs to undergo conditioning to get back to the strength it was at prior to continuing normal routines.

All workouts are welcomed and encouraged as opinions and different workouts work for different people. Perhaps part of your workout is perfect for say a post ankle injury, at least there was some helpful information even if some of it is useless. Where that information was useless to one it could be helpful to another. BE HAPPY AND POST!:banana: