PDA

View Full Version : Marine hangs tough for six months, completes training

thedrifter
09-23-03, 08:43 AM
Marine hangs tough for six months, completes training
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 200392213121
Story by Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(September 19, 2003) -- The Marine Corps' motto is Semper Fidelis, which means always faithful.

People sometimes find themselves wondering who or what to be faithful to. This was not a question in the mind of one recruit fighting his way through recruit training.

PFC Dustin A. Hoskot, Platoon 2003, Company F, has been in recruit training for six months, three of which were with the Medical Rehabilitation Platoon, and has been picked up by Co. F three times.

"The most important thing I learned in recruit training was to not give up," said Hoskot. "If you have your mind set on something, don't give up."

Hoskot's mind was set on graduating with Co. F.

"He told MRP that he did not want to graduate early with (Co. C)," said Staff Sgt. Nick T. Bolen, senior drill instructor, Platoon 2003, Company F. "He knows (Co. F) has some of the best recruits."

Hoskot also has more in common with his senior drill instructor than he knows.

First, both had medical problems and had to leave their company's to rehabilitate, said Bolen. "I was in MRP for three months and waited for my company to graduate."

Secondly, both were unqualified on the rifle range their first attempt.

Bolen went from unqualified on the rifle range as a recruit to company high shooter among his peers in Co. F, shooting an expert score every time. Because of these similarities Bolen has faith his 25-year-old new Marine will be able to improve his skills.
Hoskot was to pickup with Co. F two more times.

Hoskot said he came back to Co. F in Training Day 22, the day before the company went up north to Camp Pendleton, Calif.

The young Marine met up with his senior drill instructor the same day he picked up with Co. F. Initially he was picked up by Platoon 2002, but Bolen requested to have him placed in Platoon 2003.

After reporting to Bolen, Hoskot was asked if he wanted to stay in the company. With the answer of yes, Hoskot graduates today with Platoon 2003.

There was one last scare Hoskot had, which almost prevented him from graduating with his original company and drill instructor - MRP again.

Once more Hoskot made a trip to MRP because of follow up treatment, but only for a week this time. He also used his time to continue as much training as he could so he could still graduate with Platoon 2003.

Hoskot helped the platoon by easing their apprehensions about the practical examination test by telling them what to expect, Bolen said.

"He handled it the same way I did. When he came back to the company, he wasn't there to show off. He showed the platoon he was fast, loud and disciplined."

According to Bolen, Hoskot really wants to do his best and put his best foot forward; he has a real positive attitude.

Bolen helped Hoskot keep in contact with his family, so they knew nothing was going to change about his graduation.

"Hoskot not only waited six months to finish recruit training, but his family did as well," said Bolen.

Hoskot showed his faithfulness to the company and the company showed theirs to him by helping him stay with his drill instructor who was able to help him complete training and ensure his family could see him graduate today.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003922131417/$file/REC_D_Hoskot_lr.jpg

PFC Dustin A. Hoskot, Platoon 2003, Company F, has completed recruit training after sixth months of strife.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

The Drifter
:marine:

Cement03
09-23-03, 01:09 PM
hoskot was in my platoon!!! he was one of the most motovated recruits we had. he always sounded off and was very upbeat about everthing! its good to see him get soem acknoledgement for all he went through!. it was outstanding to see somebody that had gone through all of that crap for so long be able to stay motovated.!! he is the kind of guy i would want next to me!