PDA

View Full Version : Recon screening tests abilities of Depot Marines

thedrifter
09-23-03, 06:34 AM
Recon screening tests abilities of Depot Marines
Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island
Story Identification Number: 200391883621
Story by Lance Cpl. Jennifer Brofer

MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C.(Sept. 19, 2003) -- Recruiters from 2nd Force Reconnaissance Co., Fleet Marine Force Atlantic tested the mental and physical endurance of four Depot Marines Sept. 12 to see if they have what it takes to become members of 2nd Force Recon, a small unit of highly-trained Marines that is considered by many to be one of the world's most elite special forces.

In order to pass the physical portion of the screening, Marines had to complete a physical fitness test and properly demonstrate various water survival skills at the Combat Pool.

The most difficult part of the screening, said the Marines trying out, was the water survival skills portion, which included swimming 500 meters, rifle retrieval, treading water for 30 minutes and a 25-meter underwater swim. The events, for most, were both physically and mentally difficult.

"The hardest part, physically, was the 30-minute tread water," said Sgt. James Curran, drill instructor for Alpha Co., 1st RTBn. "The hardest part, mentally, was the 25-meter underwater swim in [camouflage utilities]."

While some seemed to have no trouble, others struggled to stay afloat, trying their hardest not to become engulfed by the chlorinated water. However, it was the last event, the 25-meter underwater swim, which either made them or broke them.

The event, which was seemingly simple, actually proved to be one Marine's downfall.

"The hardest part for me was the 25-meter underwater swim," said Lance Cpl. Angel Mendez, supply clerk at Bucket Issue, who was unable to hold his breath for the duration of the swim.

Even though Mendez did not pass the screening, he continued to be optimistic.
"This is what I joined the Marines for - a challenge," he said. "In today's try-outs I learned a big lesson - never give up. I almost gave up during the [30-minute tread water], but they made me go back, and I did it."

Out of the four who were screened, two successfully completed all of the required events, a feat that was easier for some than others.

"It really wasn't that hard for me," said Lance Cpl. David Moran, crewmember at Depot Maintenance, one of two Marines who passed the screening.

The other Marine who passed accredited his success to months of preparation.

"I've been doing pull-up pyramids, Ab Attack at the gym, sprints to help my running, and going to the pool 2-3 times a week," said Curran.

Curran said although the preparation really helped strengthen him for the screening, there is always room for improvement.

"I could've done a lot better," he said. "I wish I'd gotten a perfect 300 [physical fitness test], but I feel confident. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing and go in with an open mind, and I'm not going to quit."

Even though not all Marines passed the screening, they are still encouraged to try out again in the future.

"Even if they failed, they didn't really fail because at least they tried," said Gunnery Sgt. Frank Mercer, Staff NCOIC of screening and recruiting for 2nd Force Recon. "There's nothing wrong with trying. If they fail, they can keep trying and chip away at it until they get it. Those are the Marines I'm looking for-the ones who'll continue to press on where the average man would've given up."

In order to even be considered for the screening, Marines first have to fill out a screening checklist of candidate prerequisites, Marines must possess a General Technical score of 105 or higher, be able to obtain a 1st class physical fitness test, have a minimum of a 2nd Class swim qualification and have 20/20 (correctable) vision.

Marines who pass the screening proceed to five weeks of Recon Indoctrination Process, followed by Amphibious Reconnaissance School, Basic Airborne, USMC Combatant Diver and Survival Evasion Resistance Escape. Afterward, they have the option of continuing on to more advanced training schools.

To learn more, contact Gunnery Sgt. Frank Mercer at (910) 450-7793.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20039188455/$file/recon1(l).jpg

Lance Cpl. David Moran, crewmember for Depot Maintenance, retrieves a rifle from the bottom of the Depot's Combat Pool Sept. 12 as part of a screening process for 2nd Force Reconnaissance Co., Fleet Marine Force Atlantic. Moran took part in the screening, which also included a physical fitness test, 500-meter swim and 30-minute tread in the water. Moran and one other Marine passed the screening.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Jennifer Brofer

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: