PDA

View Full Version : Ka-Bar knife from the 80s

Garyius
08-12-10, 07:45 PM
My wife and I are going camping this weekend and while getting ready I got the survival kit out of her car. The knife in there was my issue Ka-Bar from the late 80s. I had been issued it brand new and kept it up pretty good.

(Back then I asked supply nicely and got to keep it.)

Tonight I touched the edge up and resoaked it in T-9.

1. Does the Corps still issue Ka-Bars? I read somewhere they have gone to a combo bayonet and kighting knife.

2. I know they changed a lot from the WWII one every boot--me included--buys in the PX as soon as they graduate. However, other than being all black with a tougher looking sheath, how was the 80s version different than the other versions?

3. Did they change after that?

Danny C Smith
08-13-10, 09:24 AM
I still have mine from the mid 80"s.
Matter of fact I have several.
One was made in 96 and is almost identical but it is
a CASE XX. USMC on the opposite side.
I sent it to Azzcrackistan several years ago with a friend of mine
with strict orders to bring it back. He did. Well worn.
Allen is gearing up to go back soon and he will be taking it again.
My wife got me one a couple years ago that is smaller than the standard. Otherwise identical to the others.
I love'em all.

The DUKE
08-13-10, 10:02 AM
Still got mine from the Nam, didnt ask anyone for it though, figured I earned so I just kept it when I got out, still have it to this day.
Original scabbard, oringinal made in Olean, NY.
Pretty cool, dont know which of my two will inherit it but they both served their time as well.
Loved it so much kept it up to the best standard I could maintian notwithstanding.
There was just something in my mind about being a Marine and being issued a Ka-Bar, nothing topped that man.
I made it.

Skosh59
08-13-10, 03:02 PM
Some SOB mover stole mine when I was relocating, I never noticed it missing until it was too late :mad:

My wife says that why don't you just go & buy a new one?

They just don't understand.

WXSgt
08-13-10, 03:11 PM
there are a couple of "issued" types in current use yes there is no more KA-Bar only technically a bayonet/ knife combo that im aware of as well as another couple of military issue knives such as this one i was issued

Danny C Smith
08-13-10, 05:09 PM
there are a couple of "issued" types in current use yes there is no more KA-Bar only technically a bayonet/ knife combo that im aware of as well as another couple of military issue knives such as this one i was issued

Thats a nice folder.
Whats the specs on that knife?
Hell I guess I could look it up.:confused:

Kegler300
08-13-10, 05:12 PM
I don't have my K-bar, but I still have my multi-purpose...

http://afscience.com/images/10164%20-%20GI%20Can%20Opener.jpg

Danny C Smith
08-13-10, 05:28 PM
I don't have my K-bar, but I still have my multi-purpose...

http://afscience.com/images/10164%20-%20GI%20Can%20Opener.jpg

Yessir, me too and my Grand Father's.
Some treasures you just can't give up. No matter what.

Skosh59
08-13-10, 06:06 PM
I carry mine on my keyring.

Danny C Smith
08-14-10, 07:19 AM
Same here:thumbup:
I keep Pop's locked up with his ribbons and medals.

Semper Fi.