PDA

View Full Version : Prior enlisted thinking about re-joining.

Formerdog87
08-11-10, 10:20 AM
Hey everybody. I exited the Marine Corps with an honorable discharge July 4th, 2010. Since my terminal leave start day I've had to leave my first job and now the second company I'm with sold out to...

DrZ
08-11-10, 10:31 AM
Just go to the recruiters office. Phone calls are all well and good but if you want action... go there in person. You have only been out a month. The Marines should welcome you back with open arms.

Two jobs in a month?

Got out a Sgt but your profile says E1? A bit of confusion here.

There is a requirement at Leatherneck to fill out your profile. I think you should take the time to do that since people tend to respond quicker when they know to whom they are talking.

Good luck and let us know.

Formerdog87
08-11-10, 12:50 PM
Well technically not two jobs in one month, I went on terminal May 14th, my EAS was July 4th. I had to quit my first job for family/personal reasons after almost 2 months, now this job may fall through soon due to the new company..
I just created the profile today and wasn't aware of the requirement to fill out the profile, sorry for the confusion.
I'm planning on stopping by the recruiters office Monday, but wanted to see what I could find out on here first.

DrZ
08-11-10, 01:09 PM
I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you go back in within 90 days, you can do so without loss of rank or TIG.

Let us know what the recruiter says.

Vandrel
08-11-10, 01:13 PM
Don't know what state you are in or what base you are near but there is ALWAYS federal police positions. Lejeune is always hiring for the Marine Corps Police.

Food for thought.

I got out July last year and been working on Lejeune since.

If you have any interest in contracting jobs that pay very very well look into cubic.com and l-3.com

Getting out isn't a easy transition but you have not even been out for a few months now. There is always unemployment to fall back on. There's the VA for disability as well, I get $1634 a month from them. Lots of options, just got to take advantage of them. If you need any help give me a shout on PM.

Ramadi01
08-11-10, 01:34 PM
vandrel that site is nice, i see nothing with the qualifications of " gunmen"

Vandrel
08-11-10, 01:45 PM
Got to go with the "general" skills, leadership, professionalism, etc. It's all about how you sell yourself, alot like a car sale or recruiter.

There's not many options in the world for a Amtracker so I can relate :D

AAV Crewchief
08-11-10, 03:19 PM
Avionics would probably be a critically shortage manned MOS. I think you could probably get back in easily. Sorry the civilian world treated you so crappy.

usmc3521
08-11-10, 04:25 PM
plenty of slots for motor t drivers lmao, I wonder why!

It was either cook or motor t for me!

josh9971uw
08-14-10, 01:31 PM
Well I am currently in the very beginning stages of getting back in. I couldnt do reserves thanks to a bad transition guide at Lejeune who said there was nothing for an 0311 Cpl in Texas and anyways I joined the Texas Guard. Anyways, to relate to you, you might have to request an OMPF, official military personnel file, from the Corps. Takes about 2-3 weeks, in my case get a release from the Army, and go back to MEPS and redo the background and waiver/disqualifier questionaires again. I also didnt hear any mention about loss of rank even though I have been out of the Marines since 2006.

USMC-Fox
08-14-10, 04:44 PM
Almost everyone I came to the fleet with got out after their first enlistment, and most of them regret it to this day. Some have tried getting back in, but it's difficult or impossible for them (restrictive tattoo policy, for example). I feel for you, man...you should have stayed. I'm never getting out of the Marine Corps voluntarily. They'll have to drag my ass kicking and screaming! Anyway, good luck! You've only been out a month, so you shouldn't have any problems as long as you meet the ridiculous tattoo standards.

fallfast90
08-15-10, 04:03 PM
You don't have to totally re-enlist. You can reactivate yourself (only during IRR time) and pretty much choose where you wanna go if there is an opening. I had a buddy go out to HI and and make almost 6 digits a year. They will even pay per diem. I forget the website, but if you contact a recruiter, they should have the info.

I believe this is the website.
https://mobcom.mfr.usmc.mil/IRRJobs/Default.asp

Averitt
08-17-10, 01:45 PM
I am also looking to re-enlist but I was told by the recruiter that all of the services are stopped when it comes to taking in prior enlisted personnel. He told me to check back with him October 1st at the beginning of the new fiscal year. Has anyone else heard more on this? I do regret ever getting out of the Marine Corps. I'm surprised I have lasted this long without any structure in the civilian world.

fallfast90
08-17-10, 07:36 PM
Trust me, look up MOBCOM, they give you a complete list and you may qualify even if that wasn't your MOS. It really is worth it. The same guy I told you about left HI, and is now like the Bn Commanders secretary for the Wounded Warriors Program in DC.