PDA

View Full Version : what exactly is a comabt engineer responsibile for?

D BOUJI
08-09-10, 11:15 PM
ok well ive been deciding on my mos and today my recruiter brought the mos of combat engineer into the equation (he himself is a combat engineer). he said that he was in iraq working hand in hand with the the grunts..he said he was basically a grunt that could blow **** up. he said that all's he really does is blow alot of **** up and do patrols while deployed. is this true or is he just blowin smoke up my ass? ive tried the search bar but my compuer always shows up as "no results found" when i try. so i was just wondering can anyone out there give me an inside look at what it is that a combat engineer does? i bascally wanna be a grunt but i want to have some skills to fall back on when i get out... my recruiter said he has his journey man liscense for electrical and all his heavy equipment operater liscenses..

to me this sounds like a dream job because you get to be a jack of all trades and at the same time get to expierence combat like a grunt...do i have this all twisted or am i pretty spot on?

josephd
08-10-10, 12:11 AM
combat engineer has been covered here more times than I care to remember. do a bit of research. engineers jobs can vary greatly depending on who you are assigned to.

D BOUJI
08-10-10, 12:53 AM
combat engineer has been covered here more times than I care to remember. do a bit of research. engineers jobs can vary greatly depending on who you are assigned to.

well ive been doing ALOT of searching on the combat engineer mos and still havent found an answer.....do they get to fight? or do they just stay at base and when grunts find a bomb they call them....i mean like do they work with the grunts alot?

Backhaus 1103
08-10-10, 05:23 AM
During the push through Marjah they were with us and sweped in front of us with metal detectors. So yes they worked hand and hand with us then, but after the push they sat at Camp Hanson and didn't do much. When anyone finds and IED that's all EOD.

IVIanOnTheIVIov
08-10-10, 07:25 AM
Not to take anything away from Combat Engineers because their job, at times, can be pretty high speed. But as an alternative, the MOS 0351 (Infantry Assaultman) is basically a lighter version of the...

Dragonscript
08-12-10, 11:53 AM
ok well ive been deciding on my mos ...

I just finished school at Court House bay so i guess i can give you a recent answer. Here is what we studied at school:

Tools
Woodframe construction
Concrete
Concrete Block
Fell Standing Timber
Survivability Positions
Constructed Obstacle
Tactical Bridging
Engineer Recon
Military Explosives
Mine warefare
Mine Detectors
Obstacle Breaching
Route & Area Clearance

The big three things we do are Mobility, Counter-Mobility and Survivability. So think breaching, route clearance and construction.

What you get to do in the fleet will depend on what unit you get sent to. If you get sent to a CEB then expect to work with explosives all the time, if you get sent to the wing expect to do runway repair and build picnic tables for a living. If you go to group, you'll get to do everything.

Yes, we do work with grunts but they are mostly just for looks. They carry our ****, you don't want to be carrying explosives and caps at the same times, and provide security so we can get our job done.

If you have any other questions just let me know.

IVIanOnTheIVIov
08-12-10, 12:06 PM
Yes, we do work with grunts but they are mostly just for looks. They carry our ****, .

Say no to crack.

IVIanOnTheIVIov
08-12-10, 12:13 PM
I just finished school at Court House bay so

As a caveat:

This is the smoke talk that your instructors fill you up with. Get a couple of pumps under your belt before you flail such loose words about.

Vandrel
08-12-10, 12:18 PM
Here's what engineers do best

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh258/vandrel/CECFUBAR.jpg

IVIanOnTheIVIov
08-12-10, 12:20 PM
http://knowyourmeme.com/i/29367/original/shipment-of-fail.jpg

Dragonscript
08-12-10, 02:25 PM
As a caveat:

This is the smoke talk that your instructors fill you up with. Get a couple of pumps under your belt before you flail such loose words about.

I could say a few words about myself but since i'm not a grunt they would fall on def ears. Here are few more rounds for ya, i'm also a lat mover who was has moved from active duty to the reserves. With all that added up, that should mean i know less than dirt, is that about right?

IVIanOnTheIVIov
08-12-10, 02:44 PM
i'm also a lat mover who was has moved from active duty to the reserves.

Uh...

i know less than dirt, is that about right?

Okiedokie...

Your previous posts on this thread or show true and are indicative of your experience, or lack thereof. Evidently my rebutle is what fell on deaf ears. In other words your "rounds", as you like to call them, fall short and lack accuracy. Please be more careful with your choice of words when it comes to other Marine's MOS's; esspecially if you barely know your own.

Wood1371
08-12-10, 02:44 PM
1371's learn the BASICS of alot of things... then when you get to your unit you specialize. For example, I am in a CEB... all I do is train with grunts, do ALOT of demo, mine field breaching,cache sweeps, and the occasional bridge recon. My friend from CHB on the other hand is in a Support Battalion and he told me all he does is build structures, runway repair, and just enough demo to stay sharp at it. Both 1371's but if you told him to tie a cherry knot to a main line he would be lost. Like wise if you told me to pour concrete and set block, I would be out of the loop. Granted we could do each job, but we would not be as proficient as the other one. And again; this is my experience with the 1371 field, not the way it is every single time.

Vandrel
08-12-10, 02:48 PM
http://www.pharmalot.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/pizza-box.jpg