PDA

View Full Version : ROTC questions

florczak2287
08-08-10, 03:55 PM
I'm trying to explore my various options of getting out vs. staying in. If I get out though I'm thinking about the possibility of doing ROTC when I go to college. I don't know much about ROTC though so any information would be much appreciated.

I was wondering Is ROTC a commitment once you start school or could you drop it after a while?
If you do ROTC does that require a set amount of years for military service afterwards? Active? Reserve?
Would it be simmilar to an IA billet or Just straight up Reserves?
Would OCS in quantico still be a required school?

S/F
:marine:

DIBLO7
08-11-10, 11:33 PM
Are you looking at getting back in as an officer, or just want to do ROTC for the heck of it? Your future commitment to the military would change based off of what program you do.

florczak2287
08-12-10, 09:11 PM
I'm thinking about doing ROTC then reserves or ROTC then back to active.

AlohaMarine
08-12-10, 09:16 PM
Check this out

Don't do any of that gay trash, ROTC is totally bogus. You're already a Marine. What is some retarded college prep thing gonna teach you? (Oh, you have to do NROTC for the Marine Option) You still have to go through OCS and TBS. You just waste your life going to meets and wearing weird uniforms in class.

When you EAS, go to the reserve station nearest your school and sign up to be a non-obligated reservist. You will do the one weekend a month, 2 weeks a year crap, which will get you a couple hundred bucks a month, but if anything pertinent shows up, you dont HAVE to deploy. I.E. Some volcano erupts in Guam and Guns wants your unit to go so he can get another little ribbon, you can be like no thanks. That way your path to your diploma doesnt get jacked up.

Then, talk to an OSO your sophomore year. Split OCS into juniors and seniors. Do 6 weeks after your sophomore year, and 6 weeks after your junior year. Once you get your BA from school, you will have:

8 (not 4) years of service
A commission as a 1stLt (O1E)
A College degree paid for by the GI bill
All that experience from the reserves (you can get a new MOS, anything)

Do you know how much an O1E makes with 8 years? Then figure its possible to be an O3E at 12 years? Check out how much money you'll be raking in.

I don't get why more people don't do it....

josephd
08-12-10, 10:15 PM
Check this out

Don't do any of that gay trash, ROTC is totally bogus. You're already a Marine. What is some retarded college prep thing gonna teach you? (Oh, you have to do NROTC for the Marine Option) You still have to go through OCS and TBS. You just waste your life going to meets and wearing weird uniforms in class.

When you EAS, go to the reserve station nearest your school and sign up to be a non-obligated reservist. You will do the one weekend a month, 2 weeks a year crap, which will get you a couple hundred bucks a month, but if anything pertinent shows up, you dont HAVE to deploy. I.E. Some volcano erupts in Guam and Guns wants your unit to go so he can get another little ribbon, you can be like no thanks. That way your path to your diploma doesnt get jacked up.

Then, talk to an OSO your sophomore year. Split OCS into juniors and seniors. Do 6 weeks after your sophomore year, and 6 weeks after your junior year. Once you get your BA from school, you will have:

Do you know how much an O1E makes with 8 years? Then figure its possible to be an O3E at 12 years? Check out how much money you'll be raking in.

yep!

USNAviator
08-12-10, 10:48 PM

That's good advice. Forget NROTC, you'll be bored and then angry you wasted your time. Go the PLC route six weeks sophomore, six weeks junior, or the whole thing before your senior year. Or you could put it off till after you graduate and opt for OCS

You'll be trained at Quantico and upon being commissioned you'll go to TBS which is essentially across the street. After TBS, I'll bow to whomever has knowledge about AD vs AR.

NROTC is fine if you're away from home the first time and testing the waters about a possible military career but you're a Marine, you've been there.

Do a search for PLC, it will give you a good breakdown about duties and benefits. If you end up doing your twenty the payout is tremendous. Half pay, less taxes starting the month you retire and continue till you cease to exist. Add in TriCare and you'll be OK on many fronts plus you'll still be young enough to start a second career

Good luck

AlohaMarine
08-12-10, 11:21 PM
****, my bad. I meant you will get a commission as a 2ndLt, however you will be an O1E... wasn't thinking clearly.