PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't the entire boot camp on Pendleton?

mikethern
08-08-10, 03:54 PM
Part of boot camp is at USMCRD San Diego, and part of it is at Camp Pendleton. Wouldn't it make sense to have all of it on Pendleton?

Quinbo
08-08-10, 05:07 PM
Well sure .... except the airport is about a 10 minute drive to MCRD and uhhh there is recruit training base right there. Can I bring my pet elephant?

DanM
08-08-10, 05:17 PM
Some people have no clue how to do a simple Google search.When he figures it out,should look up Camp Elliot also.

mikethern
08-08-10, 05:20 PM
So much for the "Remember to be courteous and respectful" rule.

Quinbo
08-08-10, 05:26 PM
Well lets boil this down. Lets say you are talking about being a cook for example. Why do we send Marines to Ft. Lee to learn the trade? Couldn't it all just be on Camp Pendleton?

Some of the required training is not available in San Diego otherwise it would all be at San Diego. Get it?

There is no realistic way that every portion of military training can be centralized in a single location.

Can I bring my albino king cobra to graduation?

mikethern
08-08-10, 05:28 PM
Bulkyker, you are a disgrace to the Marine Corps. No class at all. Explain to me what part of boot camp could not be taught at Pendleton if they moved everything there?

mikethern
08-08-10, 05:29 PM
Pay attention to detail. I did not suggest that boot camp should be taught entirely at San Diego. I was talking about moving it Pendleton.

Quinbo
08-08-10, 05:31 PM
I don't know .... have you been to boot camp? You tell me?

Wyoming
08-08-10, 05:33 PM
Are you nuts?

Do you know how much it would cost to move all the Yellow Footprints?:bunny:

mikethern
08-08-10, 05:33 PM
Every part of boot camp can be taught at Pendleton. Did your high school have 2 campuses 50 miles apart from each other?

Quinbo
08-08-10, 05:38 PM
Well no but then again I never had to take a 60 mile bus ride to school every day.

Quinbo
08-08-10, 05:44 PM
The giant green machine is a well oiled smooth operation. They aint gonna pick up and pack up and move because some einstine punk thinks it's a good idea.

Santa Margarita is huge and could easilly absorb MCRD SD. Can you even imagine the amount of money that would require? Hell why not just send everybody to boot camp in 29 palms it's even bigger.

Why do we send recruits to initial training SC then follow on training in NC?

Be careful with the insults ... I might start thinking you like me.

mikethern
08-08-10, 05:46 PM
Your attitude is that since it was done inefficiently the first time, they should keep doing it inefficiently. Nice attitude, buck sergeant.

Quinbo
08-08-10, 05:55 PM
Appearantly you believe it would be more efficiant to build enough barracks to house approximately 3000 personnel. Tear down the flag pole in San Diego move everything lock stock and barrel north.

Now brac has done such a thing in other places. The Navy used to have a boot camp in San Diego and it is gone. Tustin and El Torro were both packed up and moved to Miramar.

Since you seem knowlegeable about pendleton where would you suggest the new boot camp be located?

That buck sergeant thing was awesome ... we can't swap spit in the shower just yet but I'm starting to like you.

mikethern
08-08-10, 05:57 PM
My original question was why the hell they decided to do it this way in the first place, Gomer.

BR34
08-08-10, 06:00 PM
My original question was why the hell they decided to do it this way in the first place, Gomer.

Allow me to interject.

Who the f*ck are you?

SlingerDun
08-08-10, 06:01 PM
It's a real estate investment. MCRDSD acreage is alone worth at least $100 million cash dollars, Camp Pendleton is worth much more, developers have been wanting to harvest both for a long time; It only makes sense to hold out for the best price then move all operations to the poor part of town (stumps). So when it finally goes down, maybe mikey has a pickup truck for to help his Marine friends on moving day

Quinbo
Well now that is a history question worth researching goober.

mikethern
It's a real estate investment. MCRDSD acreage is alone worth at least $100 million cash dollars, Camp Pendleton is worth much more, developers have been wanting to harvest both for a long time; It only makes sense to hold out for the best price then move all operations to the poor part of town (stumps). So when it finally goes down, maybe mikey has a pickup truck for to help his Marine friends on moving day

Finally, a real answer.

SlingerDun
08-08-10, 06:03 PM
so you do have a pickup? i'm sure they'll buy the beer and MRE's

mikethern
08-08-10, 06:04 PM
so you do have a pickup? i'm sure they'll buy the beer and MRE's

Screw that. Let them hump their gear 50 miles as part of their Crucible like real Marines.

SlingerDun
08-08-10, 06:05 PM
hhhmmm i'm a real Marine and never suffered no crucible

mikethern
08-08-10, 06:06 PM
hhhmmm i'm a real Marine and never suffered no crucible

Then you can borrow my Silverado.

Quinbo
08-08-10, 06:08 PM
I say we just have boot camp at case springs. Of course a cattle car ride from case springs to Onefre is probably the equivilant time and distance as a bus ride from San Diego ;)

Quinbo
08-08-10, 06:11 PM
Better yet lets have boot camp at tallega. You can relive the movie heartbreak ridge.

josephd
08-08-10, 06:37 PM
even if the Corps could move boot camp to a different location it probably wouldn't and would also hope it didn't. Thousands and thousands of Marines have walked those parade decks at the each of the depots only to give the ultimate sacrifice a short time later. Deep tradition is also part of the reason, San Diego county offered a large sum of money awhile back in order to expand the airport but that would mean taking down historic buildings and the parade deck which I explained before.

DanM
08-08-10, 06:39 PM
even if the Corps could move boot camp to a different location it probably wouldn't and would also hope it didn't. Thousands and thousands of Marines have walked those parade decks at the each of the depots only to give the ultimate sacrifice a short time later. Deep tradition is also part of the reason, San Diego county offered a large sum of money awhile back in order to expand the airport but that would mean taking down historic buildings and the parade deck which I explained before.

Funny,I guess you don't know anything about Camp Elliot either.

Dragonscript
08-08-10, 06:51 PM
Per the wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Corps_Recruit_Depot_San_Diego

Possibility of closure

Some politicians have pushed for the closure of MCRD San Diego, primarily because it occupies what is now extremely valuable land adjacent to the city's harbor and airport. Although the installation was not on the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_Realignment_and_Closure,_2005) list proposed by the Pentagon, the Defense Base Closure and Realignment Commission (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_Realignment_and_Closure) asked the Pentagon for a written explanation as to why the MCRD was not proposed to be closed and consolidated into the depot at Parris Island. The Commission noted that the Navy and Air Force had successfully consolidated training facilities without risk to the mission or risk of loss of "surge capability" (the ability to quickly increase the rate of recruit training if circumstances make that necessary). They also noted that the military value of San Diego is lower than Parris Island due in part to encroachment and land constraints.
Closure meets heavy resistance from the Marine Corps, because of the status of the parade deck as a memorial to veterans of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, and Iraq, as well as the cost of relocation of the Depot. In a July 14, 2005 public response to the Commission, Gordon R. England (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_R._England), the acting Deputy Secretary of Defense (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Deputy_Secretary_of_Defense), stated that the Department of Defense did not recommend San Diego's closure because it would create a single point of failure in regard to Parris Island's vulnerability to hurricanes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane), among other threats. He also noted that the payback on such a closure would take over 100 years due to the need for new construction at Parris Island and the need to relocate rather than eliminate personnel from San Diego.

Take the wiki article anyway you want it but in effect it is cheaper for the USMC to keep MCRD than move it.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-08-10, 07:01 PM
Extracted forever for gross jackassery, stupidity, and being a tool. The black helicopters have spoken.

Twit.