PDA

View Full Version : Corps working to improve female uniforms

thedrifter
09-22-03, 08:54 AM
Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island
Story Identification Number: 200391883515
Story by Lance Cpl. Jennifer Brofer

MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C.(Sept. 19, 2003) -- Female Marines would normally agree that one uniform size does not fit all; however, for years they have had to deal with wearing smaller men's sizes, which, in many cases, were still too big.

That is why the Marine Corps Systems Command Clothing Team started testing out new types of female-specific camouflage utilities and tan-colored jungle boots, spurred on by former Commandant General James L. Jones, in an effort to better accommodate female shapes and sizes, to ensure the best possible fit.

The Depot was the first to implement this test Sept. 10 by giving more than 100 pairs of the new boots, size 8-11, to female drill instructors and permanent personnel for free, in exchange for their opinion of how the boots feel after wearing them for 30 days.
For many female Marines, finding a pair of boots that fits just right is a constant challenge.

"[Females] can never find anything that fits," said Sgt. Staci Brown, supply clerk at Female Clothing. "When we wear the male boots, our toes don't reach all the way."

To remedy this, the new boots were made from a female last instead of a male last, which is the metal block shaped like a human foot used in making shoes, according to Maj. Renee Holmes, team leader for the clothing team at Marine Corps Systems Command. This change is expected to make the boots more comfortable for female wearers.

"The female foot in general is narrower and physically made up differently than males, so what we've done is changed the biomechanical properties of the shoes to perhaps reduce blisters, and maybe even reduce lower-leg injuries by giving them a better-fitting boot," said Holmes. "We can't eliminate those problems totally, but we can reduce them."

Many female Marines agreed that the new changes, though visibly indistinguishable from the previous boots, seem to have made a big difference in shoe comfort.

"I definitely like these boots much more than any other that I've worn in nearly eight years," said Sgt. Kelly Berger, NCOIC at the Defense Reutilization Marketing Office.

"They fit more like a woman's boot and are very comfortable. They are narrow enough and low enough on the roof of my foot so that my foot does not feel as if I'm swimming in my boots. I believe this would be a great move for us to have new boots of our own."

Female Drill Instructors, who are on their feet 15-20 hours a day, agreed the new boots are much more comfortable than the male boots.

"The new female boots are great," said Sgt. Lisa Camp, a drill instructor for 4th RTBn. "They have a better fit and are more comfortable. They do help to relieve some of the pain from standing and walking all day."

Along those same lines, testing for new female camouflage utilities, designed to better fit the female form, started in August.

"For female Marines who are barely five feet tall, they swim in a [men's] extra small," said Holmes.

The new utilities were tailored to reduce bagginess and provide a better fit around the waistline. They also feature trimmed down sleeves that make them easier to roll.

"The trousers are a little snugger and they aren't as baggy," said Sgt. Christine Henning, a drill instructor for Papa Co., 4th RTBn. "They fit more like female trousers, and I now wear a size small short blouse instead of a medium regular."

According to Holmes, after user feedback has been gathered, the team will test the comfort and fit of the items at The Basic School in Quantico, Va.

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

gapeach
09-22-03, 09:06 AM
Sateens and jump boots worked good for me, plus the sateens were a whole lot better looking than the cammies! About time the Corps started thinking of making the women look good
Sempers

Sparrowhawk
09-22-03, 09:57 AM
I mean since they want comfort, style and a uniform that looks good....

Do you think, this might work?

USMC-FO
09-22-03, 10:56 AM
You clearly have a designers eye Sparrowhawk ! I like too the, the clever placement of the ammo belt ...

JChristin
09-22-03, 11:18 AM
We would certainly disarm the enemy faster than any male Marines wearing the uniform SparrowHawk would have us wear. Which lead me to a point I've been making all along.

Women Marines ought to be in the front of any conflict. Wearing SparrowHawks uniform, we'd divide and conquer in a cost effective manner, in less time, with no lives lost. President Boy George wouldn't need no $86 Billion additional dollars for Iraq. Just send in the best wearing the best.

On a serious side, its about time they improved our uniforms, especially those boots!

semper fi,
jchristin

Sparrowhawk
09-22-03, 01:08 PM
New boots being considered....

Sparrowhawk
09-22-03, 03:39 PM
The female officer's boots....

http://www.extremecostumes.com/557-EASY-Liberty.jpg

Sparrowhawk
09-22-03, 03:48 PM
http://www.extremecostumes.com/cramp07.jpg

Sparrowhawk
09-22-03, 03:53 PM
http://www.extremecostumes.com/avenger50.jpg

Sparrowhawk
09-22-03, 03:55 PM
http://www.extremecostumes.com/dank112.jpg

Sparrowhawk
09-22-03, 03:58 PM
http://www.extremecostumes.com/PARIS-09b.jpg

Sparrowhawk
09-22-03, 04:08 PM
That will go with Female Dress Blues...

GySgtRet
09-22-03, 04:22 PM
Hey now those boots may not be made for walking but they sure are not the average looking pair either...!!!!

USMC-FO
09-22-03, 04:35 PM
Sparrow Hawk......

You have WAY to much time on your hands.....

Semper Fi Marine !

thedrifter
09-22-03, 04:38 PM
Cook now than you have established the design for the new WM uniforms and footwear............We need a model to show them off..........I just know that you could sweet talk Colleen into being our graceful model........

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Osotogary
09-22-03, 05:44 PM
..modifications, and a possible reunion maybe 30 to 40 years down the road.

Sparrowhawk
09-22-03, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Osotogary
..modifications, and a possible reunion maybe 30 to 40 years down the road.

ROTFLMAO ~ Sir, you are an artist....

JChristin
09-22-03, 09:45 PM
Sparrowhawk,

more is always being revealed. now we are all aware of your "boot" fetish. Must admit, I like the pair for dress blues. Unlike those "Margaret Truman" practicals we all had to wear.

semper fi,
jchristin

Red Dragon
09-25-03, 11:25 AM
The Uniforms for all Marines should basely be the same, since Men and Women Marines are all called Marines. Male Marines came first, so the female Marines should have the same uniforms as the males.

Red Dragon aka HL

Sparrowhawk
09-25-03, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by JChristin
Sparrowhawk,

more is always being revealed. now we are all aware of your "boot" fetish. Must admit, I like the pair for dress blues. Unlike those "Margaret Truman" practicals we all had to wear.

semper fi,
jchristin

What size high heel shoes do you wear?

LOL

JChristin
09-25-03, 10:49 PM
Size 9

semper fi,
jchristin

Red Dragon
09-26-03, 11:13 AM
Looks like the uniforms for WM's will be changing styles every year, since women keep changing their minds on what to wear.LOL

Red Dragon aka HL

travissoleski
09-26-03, 11:32 AM
You have got to be kidding me, hey I kind of like to J LO look and the way Jen Gardner looks from the show Alias. Come on lets be friggin serious, men and women Marines should and will remain the same.
SKI

Red Dragon
09-26-03, 11:36 AM
SHORT SHORTS WOULD BE NICE TO LOOK AT EXCEPT IF THEY HAVE BARGES FOR FEET. LMAO

Red Dragon aka HL

Sparrowhawk
09-26-03, 02:15 PM
SIZE 9

LMAO

Sparrowhawk
09-26-03, 02:51 PM
I think that one is going to get me in trouble... lol

Humm, after that post, I better do something nice for Jchristian, after all we both have our birthdays on the same day, and both in law enforcement.....

I know I'll email her a gift... LOL

<a href="http://www.bluenile.com/assets/product_images/brac/UB35702000_zoom.jpg">CLICK HERE</a>

You can print-it-out, cut-it-out and wear it...LOL

JChristin
09-26-03, 03:24 PM
Sparrow Hawk,

Blue Topaz, how sweet. Now how about my own M16A2 drenched in diamonds!

Besides, I'd fall over if my feet where any smaller! Come to think, my feet are smaller than Princess Di's and we're both the same height and build!

semper fi,
jchristin

Red Dragon
09-30-03, 11:27 AM
Maybe the skirts should be Miniskirts and should have Microshorts, any and/or all suggestions now being accept. LOL

Red Dragon aka HL

Sparrowhawk
09-30-03, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Red Dragon
Maybe the skirts should be Miniskirts and should have Microshorts, any and/or all suggestions now being accept. LOL

Red Dragon aka HL

Microshorts?

Gosh darn Red Dragon!, don't give them any new ideas....

I've almost got the uniform committee members convinced WM's shouldn't wear panties!

That way its easlier to wear camouflaged

I figured, knowing Marines from our time, and I don't think that has changed much, if Marines knew the WM officer wasn't wearing them they would be highly motivated for any job and to do exercises, like squad-thrust...LOL

CplHardCharger
09-30-03, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by USMC-FO
Sparrow Hawk......

You have WAY to much time on your hands.....

Semper Fi Marine !

I agree! :p Somethings don't change! ;)