PDA

View Full Version : Question about Combat Engineer

C Wiemers
08-08-10, 12:28 PM
Hello Marines. Poolee Wiemers here to ask a question about the Combat Engineer MOS.

I read the topic that was locked a few days ago because it was more than 4 years old. That guy asked what it was like to be a Combat Engineer, and a Marine answered that there are 3 sides to the Combat Engineer (Division Side, Field Service Support and Air Wing) ; and that the side you are put in is dependent upon what the Corps needs. However the guy who asked the question didn't ask one important question (in my opinion), and that was, can you request, in the 1371 Mos, to transfer between the 3. If you can at all, would you have any chance of it happening? I kinda want the Division side, that's the reason I'm asking.

Oh, and for the record, I don't even have the 1371 billet yet. At the moment, I'm slated to be a Mechanic, but I recently switched recruiters, and my new recruiter told me that usually at this new office Poolee's can get the job they want. I'll take either, but I won't lie, Combat Engineer was my first choice when I Dep'ed in (Way back in like February, but apparently, the slots for FY 2010 were almost all full, I don't even go to Bootcamp until September 21), but, like I said, I'll take my current job if I can't get 1371.

TIA for any answers (That's Thanks in Advance)

Dragonscript
08-08-10, 07:07 PM
It is random, most people right now are going division with a very few going wing. You can't move between the 3 without changing units/duty stations.

josephd
08-08-10, 07:15 PM
just be aware you won't get your MOS until after boot camp, you can enlist in the 13xx field and you could end up with heavy equipment to bulk fuel

Rooger
08-08-10, 08:14 PM
As a 1371 from "80" to "85" (went EOD in early 85) It all depended on the needs of the Corps. I never did a tour with the wing, although I had a good buddy who did a tour with the wing at El-Toro.....it was either The Combat Engineers, 1st, 2nd or 3rd CBT ENGR Battalions or the Fleet service support groups.

Komenko
08-08-10, 09:18 PM
can you request, in the 1371 Mos, to transfer between the 3. If you can at all, would you have any chance of it happening?

Yes it can happen but only after you put a year or two in at the duty station you are assigned first. Its just like switching MOS' in the fleet but without the reenlistment that most do to get the MOS transfer. All you'll have to do is ask your command. also any MOS can do this!

C Wiemers
08-09-10, 04:07 AM
Thank you Marines.