PDA

View Full Version : Friends in Fatigues?

Aitsu83
08-06-10, 10:00 AM
I suspect that this might stir up a beehive. So this should be fun. I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I signed an open contract, but the Corps has "too many Marines" and I'm "too much paperwork". Health issues kept me from signing up when I graduated High School, and now that they're cleared up, I can't get in.

I'm making a point to live my life so that the Marines I do know would say "He'd have made a hell of a Marine." One of the ways I'm trying to do that is to show proper respect for the Corps.

Now that you have a background on me, here is the situation, I found a military surplus store that sells Marpat cammies. As much as I'd love to have a pair for camping and hunting, I realized that this could be disrespectful to those who have earned the right. I would never wear a uniform, but the cammies seems like more of a grey area. So let me know what you think. Thanks again for all that you do. My prayers are with you always.

Lisa 23
08-06-10, 11:35 AM
You're posting in the wrong forum. This part of the forum is for Marines only....and you've got no profile.

Aitsu83
08-06-10, 11:38 AM
Ok, tell me where it should go and I'll put it there. I'm also looking for a way to delete it.

usmchauer
08-06-10, 11:49 AM
I don't know of anything that legally could keep you from wearing cammies. It's your choice as a civilian... Just don't go around telling people you're a jarhead and you shouldn't have any issues.

Aitsu83
08-06-10, 11:54 AM
Has nothing to do with legality. It's out of respect. If you, as a Marine, think it is no big deal, then that is all I'm looking for. I'm no Jarhead, I will never say I am one, and I have huge respect for those who are. I also have no intention of wearing cammies outside of a camping/hunting environment.

Quinbo
08-06-10, 11:59 AM
Just go to freakin bass pro shops and get a pair of their camo clothing. WTF? Do you really need a set of ohh rahh I love the Marine Corps cammies to make your life complete?

Get a giant EGA tatooed on your back and tell all your friends coulda woulda shoulda.

Aitsu83
08-06-10, 12:05 PM
Bulkyker,
Thanks for trolling, it's much appreciated.
Take care of yourself Sgt.

TunTvrnWarrior
08-06-10, 12:08 PM
If you can find the copy of MARPAT (fake MARPAT) without the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on the breast pocket, in the digital pattern, and cover, I see no problem with it. I believe SGT Grit was selling it at one time.

Wyoming
08-06-10, 12:15 PM
Bulkyker,
Thanks for trolling, it's much appreciated.
Take care of yourself Sgt.

The Mighty Quinn was not trolling.

He, unlike someone else, is not whining either.

Go buy some Marpat cammies. Wear them.

Tattoo an EGA on your forehead.

Who gives a rats ass.

Just remember, iffen a REAL Marine calls you out, you will be the one looking like a troll, coulda woulda shoulda beena wannabee.

usmchauer
08-06-10, 12:25 PM
About a year ago I was traveling on Ortega Hwy from Lake Elsinore to Mission Viejo and there was a construction worker wearing a pair of MARPAT trousers, along with a hard hat and an orange vest. For a split-second I thought about yelling out the window something along the lines of "you don't rate". Looking back on the situation I'm glad I kept my mouth shut. It would've been stupid to say anything because that guy has every right to choose to wear what he wants. At this point I could give a rats a$$ about someone wearing parts & pieces of the Marine Corps uniform. As long as you're not a poser it's all good.
Do I think you going out and buying knock off cammies is a show of respect? No, not by a long shot.

Aitsu83
08-06-10, 12:38 PM
No the respect thing is NOT buying them. For some reason several people seem to be missing this. I found genuine marpats for sale, and wanted to know if Marines would find it disrespectful for a civilian to be wearing them. I'm reluctant to purchase them specifically because I have so much respect for the Corps. I'm glad you guys do what you do, and I just wish they needed more Marines. My friends in the Corps expressed sympathies, they know I haven't been able to join before now, and that now that I am able to they have more Marines than they know what to do with.

Wyoming
08-06-10, 12:44 PM
Just who in the **** are you?

Aitsu83
08-06-10, 12:46 PM
Just who in the **** are you?

:D Someone who seems to be giving you a bad day. :D

Wyoming
08-06-10, 12:53 PM
Nope.

You disrespected a friend of mine and a Marine.

Bad day? Ha, you squirreled out of Boot. You have no clue of bad days.

Go basic.

I was actually trying to get you to fill out a profile.

Quinbo
08-06-10, 12:57 PM
Seriously if you want to wear comoflouge gear then take a shopping to trip to cabellas or gander mountain or bass pro shops. You don't need mar pat cammo. Are you gonna wear it while you rob a grocery store or something?

Plenty of camo clothing available without needing the USMC signature on it.

Aitsu83
08-06-10, 01:04 PM
I'll try one last time to clarify. I don't NEED marpats. I said I FOUND marpats. I am making a point to live up to that whole honor thing. Out of respect for others I'm asking. I have come to the conclusion that wearing a marpat cammies is as offensive as an EGA tattoo. Enough said, I won't be buying them, I appreciate the input. Again, thanks for all you guys do.

FistFu68
08-06-10, 06:31 PM
:evilgrin: Give the Kid a Fucing break...theres lenty of QUEERS...that wear the Utilites that are a Fucing disgrace too The U.S.Marines.Go ahead Youngbuck You can wear mine.They are O.D.Green but Fuc it You'll blend in...:beer: :iwo:

Danny C Smith
08-06-10, 09:01 PM
:evilgrin: Give the Kid a Fucing break...theres lenty of QUEERS...that wear the Utilites that are a Fucing disgrace too The U.S.Marines.Go ahead Youngbuck You can wear mine.They are O.D.Green but Fuc it You'll blend in...:beer: :iwo:

Outstanding!

Well said Fist.

sparkie
08-06-10, 09:24 PM
I agree,,,,,,,,

Wyoming
08-06-10, 11:42 PM
... and we all stand around singing, kuum, bah, yah.

itzs4m
08-07-10, 04:23 PM
you have all the right to wear what you want it could be a dress or marpat patterned cammies...like the other Marines said as long as it doesn't have the EGA on the breast pocket then you're fine. If you went around wearing digital cammies and claiming you're a Marine when you're not then that is disrespectful, other than that no harm done.

PGN63
08-07-10, 05:16 PM
No, you can not wear MARPAT, the placement of the Eagle Globe and Anchor on the breast pocket is irrelevant. The EGA is located throughout the uniform and is a part of the actual camouflage. You can wear MARPAT wanna be uniforms but it can not be an actual US Government issue uniform. Tha same applies to all military uniforms.

Check out section 771, 771a, and 772 of the US Code for clarification:

http://vlex.com/source/us-code-armed-forces-1009/page/11

Sgt Leprechaun
08-07-10, 07:13 PM
Our lad has been extracted for a 7 day chance to learn and read the rules. The Black Helicopters have so spoken.

Regarding the USC, you have to have 'intent' for those sections to apply. In other words, simply 'wearing' a set of MarPat (or AF BDU, or Army whatever they call it), with no 'intent' to pose, isn't going to be prosecuted. If that were the case, then every hunter, paintballer, or movie crew, would be prosecuted for 'unauthorized wearing' of uniforms, insignia, etc.

It becomes a 'stolen valor' offense IF you wear it claiming to be something you are not.

Last bit...I sell camo of ALL kinds, 99 percent of it goes to civilians, both old and young, who want it for the 'coolness' factor, durability, or whatever. I sold a set of Desert Digipat to a lady today who wanted to wear 'em because they 'looked cool' (the pattern) and had cargo pockets and an expandable wasteband. I doubt very seriously that the FBI is going to hunt her, or me, down. Another lady bought 'military pins' from me (which I also sell...rank insignia, breast insignia, etc). As she was picking them out, I was telling her what they were, and she politely informed me she 'didn't care what they were, I collect pretty pins'. Sigh.

I am NOT bothered by people wearing (as I call it) 'squirrel gear'. I AM bothered by people claiming to be something they are not.

I'm also bothered by someone whose never served, coming into a Marine site, disrespecting those who HAVE, and acting like a general jackazz.

The thread is left open for knowlege and edification.

PGN63
08-07-10, 08:55 PM
I'm not really worried about the USC....it's from 1919, it's one of those laws that aren't enforced. There was a big brown side out green side out drill when the MARPATS first came out........the BIG question had to do with the EGA and Corpsmen. That was right when I retired so I don't know what the outcome was.

Last summer my 15 yr old daughter asked for a pair of the trousers to wear at Camp Perry. I told her that she could get a set of fake MARPATs at the PX on Quantico. My wife took her to the PX and she purchased a real pair of MARPAT trousers. Naturally the Marine Corps Rifle Team told her that she was good to go so I really couldn't say much; not because of the Rifle Team but because the wife....I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed but I do know who is the 6 in this house ;)

My daughter only wears the trousers when she is competing. We got a new neighbor a couple of months ago, I asked him if his 14 yr old son would like to make some cash pulling butts. The Virginia team would only allow him to work the targets if his father was there with him because it was a NRA match. His father was there and saw my daughter in the MARPATS.....I knew exactly what he was thinking and the only thing that I could say was that the Rifle Team told her it was good to go...against my better judgement.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-07-10, 09:23 PM
Interesting. Now, I don't know that I would wear those 'parts' onto a base (being retired myself). But I see what you are saying. Thanks, interesting insight on that!

hillbillyjar
08-07-10, 09:49 PM
I can't believe the heat this conversation brought up.

As a civilian you can wear any damn thing you want to. Hell gain 300 pounds and wear nothing but a speedo if you want to. Pull on the boots and yoots and hunt turkey to your hearts content. Hell, I'll join ya.

Press and dress and pose yourself as a Marine, and we will have words.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-07-10, 10:16 PM
Wanna see a Leprechaun in a speedo?

hillbillyjar
08-07-10, 10:20 PM
Wanna see a Leprechaun in a speedo?
I thought it was mandatory for leprechauns to wear speedos on St. Patty's day. Or did I just drink too much green beer when I saw it?

Sgt Leprechaun
08-07-10, 10:25 PM
Ummmmmm....errrrrrrrr.....aaaaahhhh.....

How did YOU get a copy of the 'rulebook'?

hillbillyjar
08-08-10, 02:13 AM
I married a peaches and cream red hair girl of course.

PGN63
08-08-10, 12:31 PM
I can't believe the heat this conversation brought up.

I have no idea why I knew that there was a USC law against wearing military uniforms....I am completely innocent....some SNCO from many years back must have put that knowledge in my brain.

I think I need professional help! My new neighbor also needs professional help. My wife and I took our 8 yr old son up to Walter Reed last Friday, my wife was picking up that I was having issues with a prior enlisted Ltjg doctor....her AFEM ribbon was on backwards! My point was if she can't pay attention to detail...how are we supposed to expect her to pay attention to detail while she is treating our son for cancer? My wife didn't see an issue but she didn't question my thinking either. Yesterday I was telling my neighbor about the AFEM ribbon and he comes back with something along these lines; ..."she can't pay attention to detail on her own uniform, how the hell is she going to pay attention to your son?"

I'm thinking that me and the neighbor should not drink beer in large quantities together....could be dangerous for the community. I'm a retired 0369, he is a LtCol 0369.....bad combination...two drunks with the same thought patterns.

Specific to my now 16 yr old and her MARPATS....it still is fingernails on the chalkboard for me when she wears them even though the Rifle Team says it's good to go. Here she is at Perry waiting to shoot:

http://cmp1.zenfolio.com/p151657530/h2ce81aac#h2ce81aac

Sgt Leprechaun
08-08-10, 02:04 PM
LOL!!!! Great comment sir. I would have noticed the ribbon too. DO NOT get me started on how many jacked the heck up ribbons I've corrected (sometimes, to my own chagrin when I neglected to use 'tact' LOL) on....well, enlisted, officers, sailors, Marines....

I once, many years ago, saw a LCMDR wearing the Asiatic/Pacific Campaign Medal along with some other fruit salad. Now, there was NO possible way this officer could have served in WWII, and even if he had, he was missing others. I politely asked him about the ribbon....and he advised me that he bought it because he had done a 'year in Japan and this is what they told me to get'. I was in Charlies and showed him the correct ribbon...he said he'd been wearing it for OVER 3 YEARS and I was the first person to say anything...

Good lookin daughter! I feel your pain there....hopefully any potential 'suitors' are fully vetted :) (My daughers are 21 & 19..)

wisconsinwalter
08-20-10, 10:15 AM
I am new to the forum, I guess I am asking is it disrespectful for us who are Marines to wear Marpat or any other BDU now that we are separated?

I have been gone way too long from the Corps I love!

viper1833
08-22-10, 11:19 AM
I just recently turned my last pair of cammies into a pair of shorts. :D They where old school ones, got out when they where phasing in the new ones.:p

Wyoming
08-22-10, 01:02 PM
I just recently turned my last pair of cammies into a pair of shorts. :D They where old school ones, got out when they where phasing in the new ones.:p

Herringbone? :banana:

Sgt Leprechaun
08-25-10, 06:40 PM
Walter, I don't think so. After I got out, I didn't wear a THING USMC related for several years....but I wear the heck out of my cammie bottoms now (they are comfortable!) as well as a repro pair of P-41 trousers I have.

BTW....(Shameless plug for the USMCHC follows) I still have TONS of P-41 tops and bottoms for sale.....(Movie repros, high quality). Drop me a line if you want to re-live the glory days or just look cooooool. They are HBT, done to the EXACT pattern and using the identical dyes the Marine Corps used.

I do NOT have XXXL or XXXX small stuff.

FattyTheFerret
08-25-10, 09:22 PM
www.sempertie.com :D good stuff, genuine too

As far as hunting goes, get multicam. Far superior to marpat in concealment, we need to switch over to it asap (though embed the ega in there for the motomotomotivators i guess :p).

Sgt Leprechaun
08-25-10, 09:31 PM
I saw some multicam being worn this weekend....but didn't really appeal to me.

And it HAS to have an EGA otherwise is just ghey army airsoft crap like THIS:

http://i5.tinypic.com/6af5bps.jpg

FattyTheFerret
08-25-10, 09:40 PM
LOL yeah, that's ridiculous

that being said, I have no problem with all combat troops from all american branches wearing the exact same stuff. show off Marine pride in our service and dress uniforms but when we send guys out on patrol give them the best camo money can buy and at this point, that's multicam. it'll also save on having two different styles of camo when that one pattern is more effective than both our woodland and desert in either environment and in urban terrain where ours stand out

Totally ok with embedding the EGA but there's no reason to be able to tell a Marine unit from an Army unit when the bullets are going downrange, especially when the Army will be adopting something that'll keep their soldiers safer than our Marines. At the tip of the spear, inter-service squabbling doesn't mean a damn thing. It should be all about battlefield effectiveness and multicam is the shizzle fiznizzle on that front. :cool:

edit: AND if we let the army spend all their money we'd actually get GEAR that's in camo instead of wearing coyote brown and woodland packs over all this desert marpat making every penny of that R&D that was spent simply wasted cash :/

Sgt Leprechaun
08-25-10, 09:41 PM
Not going to dispute you there.

Just imagine the fat kid in Multi-cam..LOL

FattyTheFerret
08-25-10, 11:02 PM
I don't even think the camo suit from Predator could hide that tub :sick:

Sgt Leprechaun
08-25-10, 11:54 PM
I'm From Krispy Kreme And Here To Protect Your Urrrrrrp Donuts!