PDA

View Full Version : Memory Lane about WMs

Garyius
08-06-10, 09:13 AM
In the thread about the army CSM someone posted about WMs not shooting rifles until the 80s, and I responded that in the late 80s they were at last allowed to shoot machine guns, but only supposed to learn defensive fires.

That triggered off a memory. I was waiting to pick up cpl and I was duty driver a lot--my MOS literally didn't do anything in garrison.

Anyhow at the group embark there was a WM MSgt who was getting ready to retire and I would chat with her sometimes. We talked a little about all the changes with WMs, going from pistols to rifles to MGs.

She had mentioned she had been one of the first WM MPs, and I expressed interest.

One day she brought in some photos and newspaper clipplings. She had been some sort of clerk at Camp Lejeune and they decided to take volunteers to OJT as an MP. She got picked and trained.

The big article, I recall, made a big deal about her having a stick and whistle but didn't say much about her pistol. They made a big deal out of how she would related better to the wives and kids...

So, anyway, the WMs, in one woman's career, went from "Okay, we will let you be the kiddie police" to letting WMs shoot machine guns.

Garyius
08-07-10, 09:13 AM
Really, guys? Someone here has to recall something...

Vandrel
08-07-10, 11:00 AM
The title of this thread was REALLY deceiving, I expected something else.................

SgtThrasher
08-07-10, 11:26 AM
Ditto!

sgt tony
08-07-10, 12:30 PM
I was at Lejune and with FSSG and I was asked to help this WM to train how to shoot a M16. Well after pulling my high and tight out she got to the range and we got a SS 224.

Vandrel
08-07-10, 04:49 PM
I met a WM at the Marina once, gave her the grand tour of my barracks room later that night

tdrt
08-08-10, 10:31 AM
ya'll better be careful with this one....

linda1945
08-08-10, 11:06 AM
ya'll better be careful with this one....

I second that!!

Sgt Leprechaun
08-08-10, 09:23 PM
Interesting. I'll add the only 'real' one I know (and I'm the one who posted about WM's on the range....wife was one).

One of the Intel WM's I knew in the mid 80's was a SSgt, who had been one of the FIRST 'experimental' WM's on Embassy duty....in 1978. Well, after completing the course, her first station was Karachi, Pakistan. That embassy was sacked and BURNED by Islamic radicals in 1979, and she (no sheet) took and returned fire, then evac'd. Directly after that, HQMC decided that 'gurrrls' shouldn't be on embassy duty and they were all pulled. She's actually mentioned in, and a photo of her is on, one of the WM Association calendars the wife has.

She was also a "Camp Lejeuene 2nd Div Cheerleader" LOL.

Wife was one of the very first WM platoons to throw 'live' grenades, too.