PDA

View Full Version : Personal Question EGA Ceremony....

DevilDogsSon269
08-06-10, 04:34 AM
I've been trying to get remotivated being on light duty and all, and in a mudhole of I would say moody depression BS since I cant PT. I've been watching Graduation, Mot. Run, and EGA Ceremony videos on youtube, where ever I can find them. It's helped a lot. However, I have a personal question for any Marine who wants to answer and share, How did you feel and react when presented your Eagle, Globe, and Anchor during the ceremony and called a Marine for the first time? Watching some of these videos makes me almost tear up.... not from sadness but, from longing, joy, excitement. I've wanted this for over 14 years and now it is my turn. I just want an idea of how broken up and proud indside I might be when I'm already longing to get my EGA. Thanks Marines. :flag:

polizei
08-06-10, 06:33 AM
Proudest moment of my life, and everyone sub 2-3 people balled their eyes out.

Vandrel
08-06-10, 07:46 AM
While it took everything I had to not shed a tear when I got a EGA handed to me I personally don't agree with how the current system works. Recruits wear EGA's from day 1 when they get their digital cammies. I didn't get to wear a EGA until after it got handed to me and we ironed them on back at the squad bay. Nothing against today's new Marines but I think the system in general is doing them wrong with these digital cammies that have EGA's on them already. Just one of those little symbols that changed over time I guess. Shouldn't wear it until it's earned.

Lisa 23
08-06-10, 07:47 AM
Back in 1988 when the Eagle, Globe and Anchor ceremony was held the morning of family day, today it's after The Crucible, it's a ceremony that you can only experience for yourself. Everyone experiences things in different ways.....and make no doubt about it, it will be one of the PROUDEST moments in your life!

viper1833
08-06-10, 08:06 AM
It was what it was I was proud to be called Marine for the first time. We did our Ceremony on the Parade Deck at MCRD San Diego. You can bet your azz I wasn't about to shed tears in front of a 100+ people in the bleachers. :D

clansman5
08-06-10, 08:24 AM
Richard...you want some motivation? Watch "Sands of Iwo Jima" with John Wayne or the "The D.I." with Jack Webb. Those movies always gave me motivation, still do till this day and I've been out since 1992.....Good Luck and stick with it

DevilDogsSon269
08-06-10, 03:16 PM
Thanks Marines. Thanks Clansman for some Mot. advice. I'll probably get a hold of some of the movies I can. I'm dying to run but I dont wanna prolong my healing. I am looking forward to the EGA. I agree we shouldnt wear what hasn't been earned, however I dont think recruits veiw the EGA printed on the hats or gear as the EGA that they seek, most may not even know its there with everything else they are too busy doing. While all Marine Corps symbols hold value and meaning no matter where printed, I believe for recruits the one that means the most would be the EGA handed to you when your first called Marine.

Lisa 23
08-06-10, 03:18 PM
It's Eagle, Globe and Anchor....and it's a cover, not a hat.

DevilDogsSon269
08-06-10, 03:20 PM
Yes ma'am sorry for the ignorance.Will correct.

DevilDogsSon269
08-06-10, 03:22 PM
Thanks Marines. Thanks Clansman for some Mot. advice. I'll probably get a hold of some of the movies I can. I'm dying to run but I dont wanna prolong my healing. I am looking forward to the Eagle, Globe, Anchor. I agree we shouldnt wear what hasn't been earned, however I dont think recruits veiw the Eagle, Globe, Anchor printed on their covers or gear as the Eagle, Globe, Anchor that they seek, most may not even know its there with everything else they are too busy doing. While all Marine Corps symbols hold value and meaning no matter where printed, I believe for recruits the one that means the most would be the Eagle, Globe, Anchor handed to you when your first called Marine.

polizei
08-07-10, 06:42 AM
Wait wait wait!!! recruits get EGA's now during training?

I just went through boot feb/09 and this wasn't the case. When did they change this? That is completely retarded!

Oh and watch Flags of Our Fathers, and The Pacific (HBO series).

Vandrel
08-07-10, 09:00 AM
Wait wait wait!!! recruits get EGA's now during training?

Yes, they are sewen right on the left breast pocket of every blouse as well as every cover, not to mention right on the side of the combat boots. Won't even get started on the hundreds of little ones all over the digi pattern.

It was just my opinion that maybe the Marine Corps should have created a recruit uniform pattern while they were at it on the MARPAT designs. Giving recruits a "slick" pattern with no EGA's on their body. Yeah, it'd cost more money but hey, it was a small tradition but eh, just my thought on the matter.

I guess 10 years ago it wasn't a fool-proof system anyway since our green on green sweat suits had EGA's on them just as today.

I do miss the attention to detail on boot shining, but that's a different subject :D

Terminal Lance
08-07-10, 04:04 PM
It was impossible for me to get choked up during my ceremony. The DI that handed me my EGA was standing in front of me whispering "You better not drop it, mother****er..." the whole time I was trying to attach it to my **** cutter.

DevilDogsSon269
08-08-10, 11:15 PM
Yes, they are sewen right on the left breast pocket of every blouse as well as every cover, not to mention right on the side of the combat boots. Won't even get started on the hundreds of little ones all over the digi pattern.

It was just my opinion that maybe the Marine Corps should have created a recruit uniform pattern while they were at it on the MARPAT designs. Giving recruits a "slick" pattern with no EGA's on their body. Yeah, it'd cost more money but hey, it was a small tradition but eh, just my thought on the matter.

I guess 10 years ago it wasn't a fool-proof system anyway since our green on green sweat suits had EGA's on them just as today.

I do miss the attention to detail on boot shining, but that's a different subject :D

Just saying this much.... I completely agree. (pardon the chat slang) WTF is the point of receiving a legit Eagle, Globe, Anchor or having the ceremony if your gonna pin it to all our clothes. Either they didnt think of this when designing the Marpat and the other equipment or someone had a lapse in thinking. While the Marpat is awesome, for us recruits we dont deserve the true marpat finish. I have TruSpec Marpat that I use to run in with jungle boots to make my work outs on my own more intense as I dont see how just gym shorts and a t shirt at all gets you ready to run in full gear. Anyways this brand is a cheaper version of the real Marpat and has NO Eagle, Globe, Anchor printed on it. I dont have say in what we wear but just bringing this to attention.

Komenko
08-08-10, 11:30 PM
Back in 1988 when the Eagle, Globe and Anchor ceremony was held the morning of family day, today it's after The Crucible

When I was stationed at PI from 2001 to 2004 it was held during Family Day. When I went through, I got it after the force March back to the Parade Deck from the Crucible.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-09-10, 12:09 AM
Sigh. It was on our our uniforms back in 1982. It's a CLOTH DESIGN (or in our case, a heat transfer). Don't get all weepy about it.

When you get the REAL THING, (the metal emblem), THAT is your Eagle Globe and Anchor that you EARNED.

josephd
08-09-10, 12:17 AM
I won't lie, I shed a few tears when I received my EGA. It didn't help that my SDI had quite a long moto speech for me when he shook my hand and called me Marine for the first time.

DevilDogsSon269
08-09-10, 03:22 AM
When I was stationed at PI from 2001 to 2004 it was held during Family Day. When I went through, I got it after the force March back to the Parade Deck from the Crucible.

I am not entirely sure how it is now but, what I've been told the ceremony is after the force march on the parade deck or in front of the Iwo Jima Memorial at Parris Island and before the Warriors Breakfast.

DevilDogsSon269
08-09-10, 03:24 AM
As Far as the Eagle, Globe, Anchor goes.... I wont even look at the ones on my gear... I'll be too busy and to focused on the one I am trying to earn.