PDA

View Full Version : Open Contract Question

jrussell9109
08-05-10, 06:32 PM
Ok today I got all my paperwork filled out. I chose combat engineer as my first choice. He then gave me a open contract and said you have to have one of these. Well I heard all about the open contract and stuff. But I signed it anyways. I then notice I have 3 choices to choose from so I put field artillery as my 2nd and switched open contract to 3rd.

Will I be screwed? And get put somewhere I don't want to be? I haven't taken my asvab or went to meps yet.

Thanks!

gonzo4
08-05-10, 07:09 PM
It all depends on if you get an MOS before boot. If you want a certain job make sure you have it because you will have no say after you leave for boot camp. And you may not qualify for what you want. Just make sure you have what you want before you leave.

Covey_Rider
08-05-10, 08:11 PM
Lock on an MOS before you ship out. You can wait to ship until you have the MOS lined up that you want.

jrussell9109
08-05-10, 10:25 PM
Well I got my answer. Talked to a Marine on the phone a little bit ago because I wanted infantry but they were out of slots. He told me go take my asvab and when the recruiter calls you to go to meps say you want a UH contract or you arn't going, because you have the choice to do whatever you want until you swear in and ship to boot. So I'm going to demand my UH contract and get it when its available. And it may be and the recruiter may be just filling me with BS.

jrussell9109
08-10-10, 05:03 PM
Passed my asvab, got back to the office and another recruiter thats there said he has me signed to go to meps Friday. Will I be signing my contract and swearing in that day or will it be when I go to meps the second time?