08-05-10, 01:26 PM
I just wanted to know what Marines thought of this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/19/world/americas/19iht-torture.html

IVIanOnTheIVIov
08-05-10, 01:40 PM
What about it?

hussaf
08-05-10, 01:42 PM
Don't just post a link...add some of your own thoughts and ideas to it.

tdrt
08-05-10, 01:54 PM
article 5 years old....significance today = zero

IVIanOnTheIVIov
08-05-10, 02:10 PM
article 5 years old....significance today = zero

Agreed. And NY Times, when I was there, was ordered to remove any and all affiliates and were not allowed to patrol because of inaccurate reporting. There were also a few cases of some reporters contacting family members of Marines who had passed before they could be notified by the Govt. In one case, there was a NY times reporter that was riding in a truck with my company and saw a Marine get shot in the head. Once the medevac and the patrol were done, he called around and got contact info for that Marine's mother. He called shortly thereafter and notified the woman that her son was dead. She was suprised to hear from here son two days later, alive and well. He had been shot in the front bridge of his kevlar, the bullet following the grooves of the helmet and the remaining fragments of that round exiting the back leaving only some minor cuts. He was only knocked out but did suffer a class 3 concussion.

Not an attack on the validity of the article; just not a big fan of NY Times. And they don't even capitalize Marine -- boot move on their part.

tdrt
08-05-10, 02:57 PM
What an ass to call his mom...like the reporter got some kind of perverted joy in notifying the family. Dickhead. Should have shot him instead. Always thought imbedded reporters of any kind were more of a pain in the ass, hinderance and overall threat to the mission.

hussaf
08-05-10, 03:04 PM
I don't think the reporter got joy out of notifying the parents...he probably just thought he would be cool/important if HE were the one to notify the parents before the government...maybe hoping to get an interview or something. Not that that's any better....

tdrt
08-05-10, 03:08 PM
You're right, Hussaf, that it really doesn't matter what the reasons were. Wrong is wrong and what's done is done. Thank God he was wrong though.

Phantom Blooper
08-05-10, 06:16 PM
Who cares?

Has nothing to do with boot camp,DEP,or entry related questions....shouldn't even be asked...because this can be constituted as of political nature!:evilgrin:

crazymjb
08-05-10, 09:14 PM
When you become a Marine you will find the political thoughts of Marines are really all over the place. What most Marines here or there think is irrelevant. There is no "right answer." I've met Marines who are full blown communists, I've met Marines who are fascist war mongers, I've met Marines who could be considered "liberals," Marines who could be considered
"republicans" and everything in between (I'd consider my self to be none of those).

Because someone speaks out against the war (as long as they do so factually) does not make them a POS enemy of the state. We have free speech in this country for a reason. The government must be kept in check, and IMO that hasn't been happening this past 50 years or so.

Mike

Vandrel
08-05-10, 09:21 PM
I just wanted to know what Marines thought of this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/19/world/americas/19iht-torture.html

http://www.stealthygoat.com/uploaded_images/Nick2_GrandmasBoy-752806.jpg

shltz wizeak

Covey_Rider
08-05-10, 09:39 PM
You need to read the rules of the forum. Political posts are not allowed in Poolee sections for a reason.

Hotel4341
08-05-10, 10:14 PM
And they don't even capitalize Marine -- boot move on their part.

Just a quick heads up, they changed this a year ago. I'm not sure if all the reporters got the memo, but Marine and Coast Guardsman are both capitalized according to the NY Times stylebook.