PDA

View Full Version : Marine Impersonator Taken Into Custoday

Wrench3516
08-05-10, 01:06 PM
:evilgrin:
Marine Impersonator Taken Into Custody

July 27, 2010
UPI <!-- Uncomment this when the Jive comments functionality is available -->

An Arizona man convicted in absentia of fraud and forgery after his past as a U.S. Marine was revealed as a fabrication was taken into custody in California.

Authorities said John Rodriguez, 31, of Scottsdale had claimed to be a decorated Marine sergeant and used the lie to gain access to military bases, obtain discounts on airline tickets and attend the Marine Corps Ball in Las Vegas, The Arizona Republic reported Monday.

Rodriguez posted $5,400 bail after his arrest and failed to show up for court hearings, leading him to be convicted in absentia earlier this month of 12 felony counts of fraud and forgery. Most of the counts carry prison sentences of 2 to 3 years.

Authorities said Rodriguez was found by California detectives near Lake Tahoe this month and taken into custody.

Prosecutors said Rodriguez's ruse began to fall apart when former Marine Dan Ryan became suspicious of his Navy Cross award during a winter 2008 Republican committee meeting.
"I'm very, very sensitive about the Navy Cross. I happen to have written one of the citations for the Marine who was killed right next to me in 1967 in Vietnam in a firefight," Ryan said.

hbharrison
08-05-10, 01:34 PM
Nuts, oh well they will catch this t*rd some day what a d*ckweed.

spotts
08-05-10, 03:23 PM
What a piece of ****

Danny C Smith
08-05-10, 03:44 PM
This kinda crap makes me sick.
What goes around comes around though.
I don't understand what makes a dumb azz like this actually
think they can just keep getting away with this trash.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-05-10, 04:29 PM
He should be immediately sent 'to the front' and 'embedded' with a REAL Rifle squad.

Or, be forced to empty catheter bags at the local VA hospital for the next 10 years. With a dixie cup.

Wrench3516
08-07-10, 11:55 PM
:evilgrin:
Man gets probation in Stolen Valor case

The Associated Press
Posted : Friday Aug 6, 2010 7:34:56 EDT

WORCESTER, Mass. — A Millbury man who falsely claimed to be a Marine sergeant who had earned a Purple Heart, a Bronze Star and other medals has been sentenced to three years of probation.
Michael Frisoli was also sentenced Thursday in federal court in Worcester to 200 hours of community service. He pleaded guilty in May to wearing unauthorized military decorations under the Stolen Valor Act.
Prosecutors say the 46-year-old Frisoli, a former Marine reservist, appeared in public in uniform, wearing the medals, to pose for photographs with state and local officials. He was also honored by his home town with a plaque for his involvement in the Toys for Tots program.
The Telegram & Gazette reports that Frisoli said he recognizes the "egregious nature" of his acts, and apologized.

hbharrison
08-08-10, 07:36 AM
Well that is one down but why did ne have to lye about his record? That is just nuts and yes it makes me sick to.