PDA

View Full Version : Any info on 2111 armorer as a reservist

Armorer87
08-04-10, 06:32 PM
Hey guys first off wanted to thank everyone for there service to our country I'm 23 years old and have takin a few gunsmith courses and am very active in rifle competitions etc I think this mos is for me and I was wondering if anyone has experience with this mos and what it's like thanks guys

polizei
08-04-10, 06:36 PM
Well you obviously haven't read the rules, which is where you might want to start. After you do that, Marines will help you with your question.

Big Jim
08-04-10, 08:35 PM
Hey guys first off wanted to thank everyone for there service to our country I'm 23 years old and have takin a few gunsmith courses and am very active in rifle competitions etc I think this mos is for me and I was wondering if anyone has experience with this mos and what it's like thanks guys

Hey there Marine "friend".....it would be a good idea to fill out your profile before any questions of yours will get answered. I was a 2111/2112 Armorer and match-grade Armorer when I was active duty. SO please complete your profile and I will definitely answer any/all your question you may have on this particular MOS, deal?

Armorer87
08-04-10, 10:05 PM
Thanks big Jim look forward to hearing from u

Big Jim
08-04-10, 10:17 PM
Well thats better, Nick...nice to meet you. So what can I tell you about an Armorer's MOS....? First of all....a basic Armorer's job is NOT shooting or have anything to do with shooting. A basic Armorer does do a job concerning the up keep and storage and proper teaching of maintenance of the unit's weapons and supporting gear.....now a match-grade Armorer's job does....they work on rifles and pistols set up for competition shooting. But if you want a job that teaches shooting and marksmanship than a Primary Marksmanship MOS might be for you but as it is with alot of secondary MOS's in the Corps....this job is considered a secondary...meaning you have to have a weapons background at least AND pass a basic course concerning teaching marksmanship to Marines.

Does that answer your question? Any more questions...?

Armorer87
08-04-10, 10:27 PM
Yes sir thank u I compete in local NRA long range competitions and I love building firearms so this mos I think is as close to being a gunsmith as I can get I love handling weapons and such so I think I'm on the right track thank u for the information also what was an average day/duty like for u

Big Jim
08-04-10, 10:36 PM
Well it all depends on what kind of duty station you get as an Armorer.....and what kind of maintenance echelon you get pushed into.....you can be just a mechanic which will help you greatly in your job ....or you can be a unit Armorer which will give you the chance to actually play with the weapons you work on and actually get to repair a little bit. But if you get a Unit Armorers job your maintenance abilities will become lower as you will be more of a line supervisor of those weapons and ship them out to higher echelon levels of maintenance if the repairs they need are more severe. So the repairs you will be doing would be minimal, ok? Its all good duty but as an Armorer....you will have to learn EVERY small arms firearm the Marine Corps has in service. When I went through Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Maryland...thats where the Armorer's School is for small arms ordnance is located.....we had about 40 different calibers of weapons we had to learn within 3 month period.