PDA

View Full Version : Former Marine looking to go back

willjr75
08-04-10, 05:35 PM
I'm a former active duty and reserve Marine I got out as a Corporal. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this because I was not able to post in the poolee forum, but here goes my question. I tried to get back in recently but like many others, the prior service recruiter does not return calls. I have been out for 12 years now. I am 35 years of age so even with my 4 years active and 1 reserve, I am still missing the cutoff age by 1 year. I know waivers can be given, but lets face it, Marines have no problems getting their quotas so they would rather have a youngin instead of an older guy like me. If I tried to fight for an age waiver and a tattoo waiver, it can take years which will make me even older.

I have 2 options. I can become a Corpsman and fight with Marines or go in the National Guard. If I go the Corpsman route, I may not be put into an infantry unit and end up with a reserve pouge med battalion or some reserve pouge air wing. The navy recruiter told me that I would go where the navy needs me. That's a no no for me. I want infantry. If I go in the Guard, I get to be infantry, but I'm dealing with undisciplined bastards.

If you were in my shoes, which route would u take? I don't want to miss the war!:evilgrin:

AAV Crewchief
08-04-10, 06:11 PM
Go into the Navy. I am sure that once you get out of the Corps school for docs going into the FMF you'll get your shot. Not all corpsmen want to go to the FMF and that will benefit you.

Nick Valdez
08-04-10, 06:56 PM
Go Navy, like AAV Crewchief stated, they are not knocking down the doors to go in the FMF. With your Marine background and you know how we treat our corpsmen you will be in good shape.

Danny C Smith
08-04-10, 07:12 PM
DO IT!
If you can go, do it.
I would kill to be in your shoes.

brian0351
08-04-10, 07:13 PM
"War hero? No. I was a doc in Vietnam. My job was to say "This is what happens when you screw a hooker, kid. Put this cream on your p3cker."

-****mydadsays.com

usmc3521
08-04-10, 07:56 PM
why cant you go back reserve? Active side of the house is overfull and pretty much any psep packages are SLIM to NONE.

Your age should be 31 in the Corps eye so you are fine. The reserve side will run a tat waiver which is 2-3 weeks and then an age waiver (out over 3 year waiver basically) the age waiver is just to verify that you can put in 20 years and retire before the age of 55. That waiver takes 30 days or less. Thats it and your back in. Go for it.........

DanM
08-04-10, 10:16 PM
Go Navy, like AAV Crewchief stated, they are not knocking down the doors to go in the FMF. With your Marine background and you know how we treat our corpsmen you will be in good shape.

I guess at least a number of Marines do not know that Corpsman are ordered to FMTB out of HM"A" school,it is not a choice for them.There are many who want FMF ,request the school and are made to wait at least 2 years for PCS orders to FMTB.

If you fail FMTB,there is a possible loss of the HM rate and then sent to the fleet as undesignated.

Nick Valdez
08-05-10, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the information Doc.

willjr75
08-05-10, 10:21 AM
Well I'm looking for to get in the Reserves. I've been told that Reservist HM's are the only ones that get a guarantee for FMTB. After that, there is no guarantee and I can end up in a nearby reserve airwing unit which I am not feeling. If that happens and I don't get the infantry, I will not be happy.:evilgrin:

Muztang11
08-05-10, 04:02 PM
why cant you go back reserve? Active side of the house is overfull and pretty much any psep packages are SLIM to NONE.

Your age should be 31 in the Corps eye so you are fine. The reserve side will run a tat waiver which is 2-3 weeks and then an age waiver (out over 3 year waiver basically) the age waiver is just to verify that you can put in 20 years and retire before the age of 55. That waiver takes 30 days or less. Thats it and your back in. Go for it.........

What he said....
The max age cutoff is actually 35 once prior service is deducted,So you have a while yet.It is much harder once you get older to get the paparwork put through but not impossible.If your constructed age is over 32 then you have to have a physical before any waivers will be approved(You would have to have one anyway to enlist)Normally the PS Recruiter has a Navy Doc that handles this for him so you can bypass the whole MEPS doctor experience again.Don't call the recruiter,show up and camp on his doorstep until he can see you.You will need to do the legwork to get your paperwork(OMPF,CRCR,RQS,etc)but if you know where to look its not bad.I didn't and it sucked,I finally have gotten together everything that I need paperwork wise ,now I just have to drop the lbs that I picked up this year when I quit smoking and I'll be all set.

Supersquishy
08-05-10, 04:25 PM
Willjr75, PM me. Im in/was in your shoes, Im like a frogs hair away to being back in (reserves). Really depends on your PSR's motivation. "Knock on wood" LOL

cucinae5
08-06-10, 12:56 PM
Willjr75, PM me. Im in/was in your shoes, Im like a frogs hair away to being back in (reserves). Really depends on your PSR's motivation. "Knock on wood" LOL

i am in the process of this myself. I started dealing with this back in 2008, got a bad PSR who wouldn't do anything for me. He is finally gone and I have a Gunny now who I am meeting with on Monday to get everything done. Let me know how your process is coming along.

He did tell me that you have to have an interview with the reserve unit you are trying to go to. Any idea what that is about?

Muztang11
08-06-10, 03:40 PM
i am in the process of this myself. I started dealing with this back in 2008, got a bad PSR who wouldn't do anything for me. He is finally gone and I have a Gunny now who I am meeting with on Monday to get everything done. Let me know how your process is coming along.

He did tell me that you have to have an interview with the reserve unit you are trying to go to. Any idea what that is about?

Basically they set up a meeting with the CO and he gets to look at your paperwork to make sure you are not a dirtbag.The recruiter knows what MOS/Ranks they need at what unit,He wouldn't send you to a unit that didn't need you.

cucinae5
08-06-10, 03:41 PM
Basically they set up a meeting with the CO and he gets to look at your paperwork to make sure you are not a dirtbag.The recruiter knows what MOS/Ranks they need at what unit,He wouldn't send you to a unit that didn't need you.

Quess you pretty much answered my email here. Did you already do this? What MOS are you?

cucinae5
08-06-10, 03:43 PM

Oh and one last thing... Did you have to do your PFT or is that after you get into the unit?

Muztang11
08-06-10, 03:49 PM
Oh and one last thing... Did you have to do your PFT or is that after you get into the unit?

PFT has to be completed and passed prior to the swearing in process.I was told that I couldn't do it until my waivers had been approved (this keeps us old guys from suing if we have a heart attack during the PFT)If your constructive age is over 32 then a complete physical will be done before any waivers are submitted to make sure you are not wasting everyones time.

cucinae5
08-06-10, 03:53 PM
PFT has to be completed and passed prior to the swearing in process.I was told that I couldn't do it until my waivers had been approved (this keeps us old guys from suing if we have a heart attack during the PFT)If your constructive age is over 32 then a complete physical will be done before any waivers are submitted to make sure you are not wasting everyones time.

my constructive age is 29 if i am not mistaken. 4 years active and i am 33 now.....

don't think i will have any issues with the interview either.. i was meritoriously promoted twice, have a nam, and cercom, plus a lot of things good on the civ side.... director of security for my company and all....

Muztang11
08-06-10, 03:57 PM
my constructive age is 29 if i am not mistaken. 4 years active and i am 33 now.....

don't think i will have any issues with the interview either.. i was meritoriously promoted twice, have a nam, and cercom, plus a lot of things good on the civ side.... director of security for my company and all....

You should have no trouble....

usmc3521
08-06-10, 05:47 PM
hmmmm I asked if I had to take a pft and my psr said no. he said I will do that at my unit.

Supersquishy
08-06-10, 06:56 PM
hmmmm I asked if I had to take a pft and my psr said no. he said I will do that at my unit.

Ditto..., but Im not complaining I could do a first class anyways.....:p

viper1833
08-06-10, 07:02 PM
Ditto..., but Im not complaining I could do a first class anyways.....:p

I couldn't I would be puking 5 min into it. Drink to much beer these days Squish :D

USMarine0161Vet
08-07-10, 02:07 AM
Just odd information..
I just reup'd back in the reserves this month. MOS 0311. Didn't lose my rank, and the MC has a Prior Service bonus of 10k for qualified Marines.. Now whatever Qualified ment.. I have no clue.. However, Nothing more here than 5 years active duty service with an Honorable Disch. RE-1 reenistment code..
Long story short.. I had to harass the Prior Service Recruiter and make an unplanned visit..
But good luck to you...
DMac

Supersquishy
08-07-10, 05:10 AM
Just odd information..
I just reup'd back in the reserves this month. MOS 0311. Didn't lose my rank, and the MC has a Prior Service bonus of 10k for qualified Marines.. Now whatever Qualified ment.. I have no clue.. However, Nothing more here than 5 years active duty service with an Honorable Disch. RE-1 reenistment code..
Long story short.. I had to harass the Prior Service Recruiter and make an unplanned visit..
But good luck to you...
DMac

Congrats!!! Were you off contract over 3 years? What was the time frame from when they submitted you package until you got it back approved?

cucinae5
08-07-10, 03:36 PM
I know i have been off contract for about 8 years and my PSR doesn't think i will have any issues. I doubt i qual for any type of bonus though. ha ha

my biggest issues is when i got out the Corps we didn't have the digitals... i found out later on after i was off contract that i could of gotten the digitals while i was still on contract..

now i think i have to buy them myself.. any one have any ideas on this. i also have to buy everything else because all my stuff is too small. haven't turned into a fat slob by any means, just went up one size...

any one got some advice on uniforms?

cucinae5
08-07-10, 03:39 PM
oh and i went running today for the first time in like 4 years...

did my 3 mile in 24:52... not bad for not running in so long and being 33 ha ha ha

shocked myself...