PDA

View Full Version : Intelligence/Combat MOS

Echo9
08-04-10, 01:56 PM
Hi, I'll be in the DEP soon, and had a few questions before sitting down to figure out what job I want.

What I want to do is something in the Intelligence field, but I do not want to work behind a desk. I don't want to be listening to transmissions or staring at maps and satellite images. What I'm looking for is an MOS that combines intelligence and combat. I know 0321 fits that description, but I obviously can't shoot that high for my first job.

My goal is to eventually be in counterintel, but I believe I'll need to be at least a Corporal for that. Anyone have any suggestions?

I had wanted to go into intelligence and take 0311 as a secondary MOS, but I'm told that's impossible.

Lisa 23
08-04-10, 02:01 PM
Filling out your profile would be a great start in letting the Marines, who are going to answer your questions, know who you are....and you may want to familiaze yourself with the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums, also.

Lynn2
08-04-10, 05:33 PM
"I know 0321 fits that description, but I obviously can't shoot that high for my first job."

And why not? There have been others that have gone from SOI into the pipeline for Recon. IMO if you can make it you can make it. Extra time may or may not help you.

I have no idea how it is today but in my 12 and 1/2 months on a recon team in VN we never once had an intel person with us when we were out on a patrol.

We were the ones that directly collected the ground intel.

Intel people were those with the maps and desks back in the rear. The people we briefed on what we had seen once we returned to the rear.

Again that was how it was back in the day.

Echo9
08-05-10, 12:16 AM
I'm not considering Recon a viable option at this point because I don't even know how I'll do in recruit training, let alone in Recon training. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

For now, I really just want a job that has aspects of both intelligence and infantry. It was my understanding that counterintelligence as an occupation is generally much more active and field-oriented than other intel jobs -- is this true?

If counterintel does blend intelligence with infantry, then maybe my best bet is to go in as an 0311 and make a lateral move to counterintelligence?

I am very serious about my career and I want to join the United States Marine Corps with an outline of that career.

Covey_Rider
08-05-10, 12:32 AM
What do you consider to be intelligence? Every MOS that has you out on patrols is always collecting intelligence. Every time you arrest somebody out there you perform site exploitation and collect anything of value to be processed by somebody else. You also have a misunderstanding of counter-intelligence. What you are speaking of is human-intelligence (HUMINT). Both jobs are performed by 0211's, however the jobs themselves are different.

There are pros/cons for different MOS's. If you enlist to join the intelligence community, then if you decide to put in for CI/HUMINT, it will be smoother because you should already have a TS/SCI level security clearance. However you will have little to no experience in the field and interacting with locals. If you choose infantry or some other ground element, you won't have the clearance, but you will have the experience of dealing with indigenous personnel on a regular basis.

My suggestion is that you pick something that you think you would enjoy, and then worry about CI/HUMINT after you've served some time and have been promoted. That way, if you don't make it, you won't be stuck in some job that you hate. The process to get into CI/HUMINT is quite lengthy and it's not easy. Again though, something to worry about later.

Echo9
08-05-10, 10:54 AM
What do you consider to be intelligence? Every MOS that has you out on patrols is always collecting intelligence.

Well when I get out (if I leave) I'd really like to be able to say that I did actual intelligence work in a job geared toward that end. I really want to go into the FBI after my contract is up, and being able to say that I have extensive training in both combat and intelligence would really help me get a job.

My suggestion is that you pick something that you think you would enjoy, and then worry about CI/HUMINT after you've served some time and have been promoted. That way, if you don't make it, you won't be stuck in some job that you hate. The process to get into CI/HUMINT is quite lengthy and it's not easy. Again though, something to worry about later.

Well Infantry is something that I really want to do. I want to fight for my country, so I actually do want to be a trigger puller in some capacity. But intelligence is really interesting to me, and I know I can do it mentally.

So maybe the thing to do is just go in as a rifleman and try to get into CI/HUMINT when I make E-4.

Is it even possible to have an MOS in Infantry and another MOS in Intelligence at the same time, right off the bat?

Thank you for your help. I CANNOT WAIT to be a Marine.

Covey_Rider
08-05-10, 11:02 AM
While in an infantry unit, there is a billet for what's called a CLIC Marine, CLIC stands for Company Level Intelligence Collector I believe. What the CLIC Marine does is process all of the information that is collected to be sent up to higher. Basically all you will do is a lot of the paperwork thYat is necessary for things to get sent up. You may or may not go to a small school for this billet. It is only a billet to be held in country though.

Covey_Rider
08-05-10, 11:05 AM
Also, be careful about thinking that only infantrymen fight for their country. I understand what you're getting at, but just be careful with the words that you use around here. For instance, I'm not an infantryman but I'll be dammed if somebody says that I didn't fight for my country. I would consider other combat related MOS's besides infantry. Consider some of the other things that are out there that attach to infantry units. That way, you can work in the same aspect as the infantry, and get additional skill sets. Just something to think about.

Echo9
08-05-10, 11:35 AM
Also, be careful about thinking that only infantrymen fight for their country. I understand what you're getting at, but just be careful with the words that you use around here. For instance, I'm not an infantryman but I'll be dammed if somebody says that I didn't fight for my country.

First, let me apologize if I implied that anyone who does not have "03" in front of their MOS does not fight for their country and Constitution. I work with several people who were in the military -- some were medics, some mechanics, some involved in logistics, and I have no doubt that they all fought for their country.

I would consider other combat related MOS's besides infantry. Consider some of the other things that are out there that attach to infantry units. That way, you can work in the same aspect as the infantry, and get additional skill sets. Just something to think about.

This is kind of why I wanted to do CI/HUMINT. I'd been told that people in that MOS typically get attached to infantry units.

Covey_Rider
08-05-10, 02:51 PM
I understand why you want to do CI/HUMINT. I was referring to the MOS that you choose leading up to that goal.

hussaf
08-05-10, 03:08 PM
You will have a better chance getting a civilian world intel job working a CLIC or BN level S-2 than running around with HET....their are just more available unless you want to do screening, roleplaying, or teaching.

The FBI is very hard to get into...and it doesn't have that much to do about experience or qualifications, other people with federal experience will understand what I mean. Mostly you have to fill their most critical needs at the moment; sometimes that things like a language or advanced degree in a particular field, other times thats dependent upon filling AA quotas. All depends on when you interview and box.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-08-10, 12:54 AM
Further, CI is a 'lateral move only' MOS, one of the last of those in the Corps.

The posting referencing Intel 'only being in the rear' is from a perspective of 40 plus years ago. Take heed.

Also, check out the reference thread regarding Intel located in this section.

AmphibMarine
08-09-10, 07:38 PM
emac marine emac