PDA

View Full Version : bus ride from airport to PI?

Ferreira92
08-04-10, 10:58 AM
i was wondering where you get flown into typically for Parris Island and how long it takes the bus to get to PI,
thanks

Lisa 23
08-04-10, 11:15 AM
22 years ago, I was flown into Charleston, SC... and not sure how long the bus ride was to Parris Island was.
Today....they may fly you into either Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA...and the bus ride might take about and hour to and hour and a half.
You'll be bused in during the night, so get as much sleep as you can while you're at the airport waiting for others to arrive and on the bus, because after you get to Parris Island, you won't be getting much sleep, if any, for about 2 days.
Someone else can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but that's how it was when I went to boot camp.

Good luck to you!

spotts
08-04-10, 11:56 AM
Thats what I recall from 1989 also WMarine

Artemis
08-04-10, 12:21 PM
Sounds about the same that I went through. Oh and at the airport in the holding cell there are chips and sodas and what not. Enjoy them while you can because it will be your last for 3 months.

Lisa 23
08-04-10, 02:05 PM
I remember being in what seemed like a conference room at the Charleston airport and getting a bag lunch.....sandwich, chips, an apple or banana, and something to drink. Then when you were done, you put your head down on the table and closed your eyes until everyone had arrived. When everyone had arrived, it was off to the buses and the journey to where it all begins.........Parris Island.

Wyoming
08-04-10, 02:14 PM
I remember being in what seemed like a conference room at the Charleston airport and getting a bag lunch.....sandwich, chips, an apple or banana, and something to drink. Then when you were done, you put your head down on the table and closed your eyes until everyone had arrived. When everyone had arrived, it was off to the buses and the journey to where it all begins.........MCRDSD.

FIXED!!:bunny:

Lisa 23
08-04-10, 02:19 PM
Haha....very funny, Big Al! :evilgrin:

polizei
08-04-10, 06:33 PM
Worst bus ride I've ever experienced. I knew what was coming, but it was all too late...And yea, you won't sleep for almost 2 days (literally). The best part is when the bus stops and the lights come on, because you then know the party is mere seconds away! Have fun!!!!

But overall...IIRC, it's about what WM said, 1-1.5hrs. I think they flew us into Savannah but not sure...

GySgtRet
08-04-10, 06:49 PM
from Pittsburg. We flew into Charlotte NC and the intent was to continue the flight the same morning into Charleston, there was 12 of us in all. The airplane broke so we stayed the night in Charlotte NC. About 7 of them went to a bar and got hammered, big mistake. The next morning around 11:00 we headed back to the airport. We boarded at about 14:00 and arrived at Charleston airport about 15:00. We all got onto a bus and headed for Parris Island and arrived at about 16:30. Nobody greeted us at the gate infact the MP had to call receiving to let them know that we had arrived. Another hour went buy a Cpl showed up and a cattle car following him. Yep a cattle car for 12 of us. Would you expect a sedan, not...!! I didn't get the 2 days of sleep deprivation that you all spoke of here. What happened for the next 10 days however was forming yep for 10 days while new recruits arrived to form 3rd battalion.

Good memories for 20 years I am glad that I did it and would do it again.

Gunny out
Semper Fi
:usmc:

gonzo4
08-04-10, 08:04 PM
Well I got into Savanah, GA and wasnt smart enough to chill in the Airport before i checked in. But the bus ride is like an hour fifteen min and our bus driver was kool we got music and to talk. Then you get to the Bridge and it goes quite and heads down. At the gate they check the IDs and then a few min later you meet your receiving DIs. Then the fun... Good Luck!

josephd
08-04-10, 08:58 PM
that long bus ride must be hell!....at MCRDSD the bus ride is like 30 seconds long

Capital M
08-05-10, 09:47 AM
Flew into Savannah, last flight to get there, hustled off the plane, did accountability, got put on the bus, head down, no talking. I recommend getting some sleep