PDA

View Full Version : Recon Training Pipeline

SMR101587
08-03-10, 06:05 AM
http://www.forcerecon.com/strongmenarmed2.htm

from a 2000-2001 publishing, this mentions that you go to Basic Reconnaissance Course, Diver School, Army Airborne School, SERE School required for all members and then some schools that one per platoon or team or team leaders above must complete.

This one,

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2009/06/marine_recon_062209w/

from 2009, and it said well you go to Basic Recon School, and then you go to your unit.

So I am curious as to what training you undergo after SOI this day in age...was the special schooling was subsidized to more quickly produce troops for OEF, OIF?

Any one here graduated BRC recently? This year or last?

Thanks.

Covey_Rider
08-03-10, 06:42 AM
Somebody here correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

If you pass the indoc etc and go to BRC and pass, you will then go to your unit. Once you get to your unit you will then attend your follow on schools such as Jump, Dive, SERE, etc. The reason for this is not to quickly produce more troops, it is so that that Marine will have a parent command while attending these schools. If they were to just get sent out to these schools, without ever being assigned a unit, then they'd be in limbo when it came time to take care of all the garrison stuff. Just because you get to your unit, does not mean that you are done attending schools. It's actually quite the opposite. Your time not deployed while at your unit is the units chance to send Marines to different courses to hone the skills of their reconnaissance Marines.

SMR101587
08-03-10, 08:13 AM
Oh okay. Thanks.

So basically no Marine will deploy after BRC unless he has attended Jump, Dive, and other schools?

My reason for asking is that on a different forum, not this one, someone had mentioned that the BRC instructors were telling the students there would be no more schools they would just go to Iraq right away.

Unfortunately I do not remember the source...

Covey_Rider
08-03-10, 09:22 AM
The source is dumb. Yes you will attend schools. Just because you are a reconnaissance Marine doesn't mean that you WILL attend all of those schools. Jump, dive and SERE are pretty standard though. Your unit can deploy you if you haven't completed those courses, but you'll go through them at some point or another.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-03-10, 10:38 AM
There is a possibility that you'll deploy without the follow-on schools if that is what is needed. There's no way that we can look into the future and know exactly what you'd be facing once you got...

Sgt Leprechaun
08-03-10, 11:49 PM
Check out the sticky, last post, above. It also explains, to a certain extent, what Recon actually DOES (besides attend cool schools).

martinj
08-04-10, 07:56 AM
Alright i graduated BRC in february, im at my unit right now. I havent done and probably will not do any of the school they want you too have before we deploy. And even then its hard to get seats to go too schools...extremely hard. Most Recon Marines haven't been to dive school, airborne however is pretty standard. All actual 0321's that are with a Recon unit have been through BRC, we do however have 0621 (radio operators) that have not been through BRC. But from what we have been told from now on they will be sending 0321's straight from BRC to jump, not for sure just rumors. If you have any questions feel free to ask, If your thinkin about doing Recon do it, your life will be sooo good, and your cutting scores are nice as well ( i picked up CPL less than a year into the Marine Corps)

Respectloyalty
08-26-10, 03:59 PM
Tell me about BRC... My package got approved by the recon monitor, just waiting for head quarters for the green light.. I'm ****in sick of this head game, Tell me about RIP.. Why do people get dropped? Why do people quit? .. I've been in for 3 years.. You've just graduated BRC (congrats brother, I'm sure you've made your family proud) Tell me what you saw and what you had to do.. A brother Im not a poolee.. Dont dish out hype I alrdy know RECON's ****in BA...Again Congrats

Anything you can throw my way will be greatly appreciated.

Quinbo
08-26-10, 05:04 PM
If you actually are a Marine then your first step from here will be an indoc. You will have to make it through that to continue. A careerist can not contract for recon without passing an indoc.

Respectloyalty
08-26-10, 05:26 PM
RIP/MART is the indoc.. My package will enable me to start/finish ITB.. And enable me to be put into RIP/MART.. Mart preps you for BRC that's all it does.. If you suck at life and can't hack MART..then you will get dropped..sure I guess you could consider that a indoc.. I posted my first comment on accident..It was ment to be a private message.. No more comments, regarding my first post.

"well if you are really a marine.." HA

Respectloyalty
08-26-10, 05:32 PM
RIP/MART is the indoc.. My package will enable me to start/finish ITB.. And enable me to be put into RIP/MART.. Mart preps you for BRC that's all it does.. If you suck at life and can't hack MART..then you will get dropped..sure I guess you could consider that a indoc.. I posted my first comment on accident..It was ment to be a private message.. No more comments, regarding my first post, thank you..

"well if you are really a marine.." HA

Somedude0321
09-13-10, 10:48 PM
thats true of what Martin is saying but not all Recon units are the same, im currently with 1st Recon. and of the bat when i first got to my unit i had HRST Masters (helicopter rappel suspension techniques), Jump School, SERE C...and more schools after that. We have guys in my platoon at Sniper school, Ranger School (Army), ARSLC (Army Reconnaissance Survailance Leaders Course), Mountain Leaders course. Its never really in that order. My buddy that i graduated with went to Dive school before i could. After you have gone through your school phase which could last from a week up to when ever you start your work up.

martinj
09-16-10, 09:44 AM
thats true of what Martin is saying but not all Recon units are the same, im currently with 1st Recon. and of the bat when i first got to my unit i had HRST Masters (helicopter rappel suspension techniques), Jump School, SERE C...and more schools after that. We have guys in my platoon at Sniper school, Ranger School (Army), ARSLC (Army Reconnaissance Survailance Leaders Course), Mountain Leaders course. Its never really in that order. My buddy that i graduated with went to Dive school before i could. After you have gone through your school phase which could last from a week up to when ever you start your work up.

Must be nice lol