PDA

View Full Version : Question about moving while in Marine DEP as a Reserve

Doberman
08-02-10, 10:04 PM
Marines,

I'm currently about to go to MEPs here in the next couple of weeks to sign a reservist contract. I'm also in the process of taking the written tests for several cities in the nearby region as a Police Officer. I currently live in Florence Al, so based on my address, would drill in Huntsville. However, if I continue through the pipeline for this Police Job, in Hoover Al, I would obviously move down there, and would be closest to the nearby Bessemer base which is in the next town over. If I'm working and living around the Hoover area I would be beyond the 100 mile mark to go Huntsville. I'm wondering what you all would reccomend, or if anyone foresees any problems with this. Would I simply be able to report to a different kind of job training because the Reserve base in Bessemer has different jobs than the one in Huntsville? Or would I have to complete one job training and then get retrained later for the reserve base I moved too?

Thank you in advance.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-03-10, 01:21 AM
Good question. First, discuss this with your recruiter. Next, check out what is IN Bessemer and see if it's anything you like/want, and finally, if they'll take you if/when you get this other job. Lots of moving parts to this one.

Doberman
08-03-10, 10:46 AM
Thank you. I've discussed it with my recruiter. He seems to make it sound like when I go to MEPs that I would be obligated to the Huntsville base because of where my address is now, based on when I...

Sgt Leprechaun
08-03-10, 09:15 PM
I would, yeah...but since you don't have the job yet, I can see where the recruiter is coming from as well. But it wouldn't hurt to contact the other unit and explain. However, they may not do much for you, as, again, you don't have the job yet, and you are not yet a Marine.