PDA

View Full Version : A moment of history

kman311
08-01-10, 08:49 PM
Yesterday, I was in a furniture store killing some time when I noticed an older gentleman slowly walk in with a cane. He had a USMC Veteran ball cap on his head and as he walked past me I gave the honored greeting "Semper Fi"
His eyes lit up as he replied in kind. "Who did you serve with, youngster?" (I'm 47) When I told him the 3rd Marines he told me he had started with the 3rd Marines but shipped over to the 5th Marines and fought at Okinawa.
Now I spent some time in Oki on two deployments in the 80's and spent a little liberty time seeing the sights on the island. But it hit me pretty hard that maybe the ground I had walked over in peace had once been crawled over under fire long ago by this 90 year old man. I talked just a few minutes with him, didn't even get his name. But we both knew each other and called each other by name as we parted. Marine.:flag:

hbharrison
08-01-10, 09:54 PM
Thankyou for your post and we shall remember all those Marines who have walked before us on those lands so far away.

hillbillyjar
08-01-10, 10:18 PM
There's no such thing as an Ex-Marine.

Your testimonial gives present day truth to that fact.

I'll see ya in Heaven; or in Hell as we fight our way through.

Danny C Smith
08-02-10, 07:43 AM
This is a great post Sgt. Thank you.

We can never forget the Marines that went before us.

Semper Fi.

kenrobg30
08-02-10, 09:17 AM
Some of the ' Old Timers ' have difficulty, striking up a conversation with younger warriors. I've heard some of my old friends, and relatives say, they always felt as though they were being judged, by the younger People., so they avoided that contact. I believe they should talk to the young myself,but it's hard, when you're rebuffed, by the person you'd like to talk to. Just a thought. Gotta shut down for a while. S/F!! Ken

vipere6
08-02-10, 12:30 PM
Great post.

Simper Fi

The DUKE
08-02-10, 01:02 PM
I agree with the Cpl, we have to talk to the older generation, but more than talk we must listen, they have a plethora of information and wisdom beyond compare, as they've been there and done that.
Its a sad commentary to todays younger generation that they are so much more concerned with the latest gizmo or electronic device for there stereo or car or video game.
When the old die the inforation in their head is lost with them unless someone from the younger carries it to the next gen.
I remember very fondly asking my father all about his youth and his growing up and his days in korea in the 82 Airborne.
I have passed that knowlege and experiance on to my three so it will live forever, isnt that what he motto means?
Marines die, thats what we do, but our honor and code will live forever!
Sempr Fi my brothers, ask, remember, tell your young, spare them no detail no matter how painfull you think it might be, they will grow to be the better for it.

hbharrison
08-02-10, 02:06 PM
I agree with the Cpl, we have to talk to the older generation, but more than talk we must listen, they have a plethora of information and wisdom beyond compare, as they've been there and done that.
Its a sad commentary to todays younger generation that they are so much more concerned with the latest gizmo or electronic device for there stereo or car or video game.
When the old die the inforation in their head is lost with them unless someone from the younger carries it to the next gen.
I remember very fondly asking my father all about his youth and his growing up and his days in korea in the 82 Airborne.
I have passed that knowlege and experiance on to my three so it will live forever, isnt that what he motto means?
Marines die, thats what we do, but our honor and code will live forever!
Sempr Fi my brothers, ask, remember, tell your young, spare them no detail no matter how painfull you think it might be, they will grow to be the better for it.

Could not said it any better, thankyou Brother :thumbup:S/F Butch