PDA

View Full Version : what will he have to do...

MelB
08-01-10, 04:14 PM
My boyfriend is taking his ASVAB on tuesday. He is really excited about becoming a Marine but a few things are holding him back. He's got a misdemeanor on his record for party to a crime theft from 6 years ago when he was 18. He has a metal plate in his jaw and a screw in his ankle from a car accidnet he was in when he was 6. He has 2 tattoos he has to get covered up. What are his chances of getting in?? This is something he really wants to do, he feels as though hes taken so much from this country and he wants to give back ad right his wrongs. He's been studying for the asvab and hes hoping to do well as he wants to be an electrician or combat engineer. Any info on those MOS's??

Thanks in advance for the info and thank you for serving our country!!:)

Lisa 23
08-01-10, 04:19 PM
Tell him to come here and ask these questions himself....or better yet, go see a recruiter. His chances don't look good.

And how about filling out your profile so the Marines here know who they are talking to.

MelB
08-01-10, 04:42 PM
He is talking to a recruiter and the recruiter doesnt seem to think its a problem. He is just worried about it being a problem at MEPS. Thanks for your reply

Lisa 23
08-01-10, 05:00 PM
The Marines here aren't recruiters and have no idea what MEPS will do. And.....if he requires any waivers of any kind, we have no idea if they'll get approved or not, either.

hillbillyjar
08-01-10, 05:01 PM
Tell him to come here and ask these questions himself....or better yet, go see a recruiter. His chances don't look good.

And how about filling out your profile so the Marines here know who they are talking to.
Well said.

Any one of the things you listed could be waivered easily. With all of them combined, that may present a problem. Tell him to go talk with a recruiter. I'd be willing to bet something can be worked out.

MelB
08-01-10, 05:27 PM
The Marines here aren't recruiters and have no idea what MEPS will do. And.....if he requires any waivers of any kind, we have no idea if they'll get approved or not, either.

I completely understand that. I just simply thought someone here has been through a similar situation.

Big Jim
08-01-10, 07:11 PM
I don't know about him getting in right away either......I'm NOT a recruiter either but I will tell you like I told another young lad at my VFW post a few days ago, the Marine Corps is almost overstaffed right now and with recruiters having to choose the potentially best people with NOT having to get any waivers approved and with as least issues as possible....they can afford to be picky...and they are being so very picky right now. But your best bet is to go and go through a recruiter and see what happens at MEPS ok?

FattyTheFerret
08-01-10, 07:33 PM
I completely understand that. I just simply thought someone here has been through a similar situation.

Many have, the problem is that recruiting goals and other situations change frequently and vary by region. Unfortunately even a recruiter in one recruiting city wouldn't necessarily be able to give you a straight answer about your boyfriend's situation in a different city.

Old Marine
08-01-10, 07:45 PM
If your friend is looking for a waiver for anything tell him to report to the end of the line.

Quinbo
08-02-10, 01:10 AM
I'm taking a WAG at this. Screws in ankle is a automatic DQ.

Covey_Rider
08-02-10, 01:57 AM
As Big Jim has already stated, the Marine Corps is not hurting for people at all right now. I actually couldn't reenlist if I wanted to right now. The Marine Corps is actually pushing a lot of people out right now due to the fact that they're trying to reduce their numbers.

I'm not a recruiter by any means nor do I know whether or not he'll get in. However, from my personal experiences I don't see his misdemeanor being an issue. I had a few things on my record as well and one thing I have is worse than his incident. This was also 4 years ago when I joined, things may have changed. The only real complication he may have, as far as I see, is his ankle. He may be fine though since the injury was 18 or so years ago.

As far as the MOS's are concerned, I can answer most of your questions regarding those two jobs. I'm a combat engineer and I know the job of the electricians quite well. If you have any questions on them, feel free to ask. However, before you do I ask that you use the search box for the forum. Others and I have posted quite a bit of information regarding these jobs. If there is anything you can't find, feel free to ask.

hillbillyjar
08-02-10, 03:29 AM
<clipped>As far as the MOS's are concerned, I can answer most of your questions regarding those two jobs. I'm a combat engineer and I know the job of the electricians quite well. If you have any questions on them, feel free to ask. However, before you do I ask that you use the search box for the forum. Others and I have posted quite a bit of information regarding these jobs. If there is anything you can't find, feel free to ask.
An engineer with a recon unit; God knows what your job is, and he is waiting for you to show up, when you get around to it.

God bless ya and all of your kind Covey.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-03-10, 01:10 AM
As others have stated, they aren't trying to be difficult, but with this many waivers....the Marine Corps has been meeting 100 percent of it's recruiting goals for the past six months....those requiring more than a 'simple' waiver at this point, almost "Need not apply".

I'd be surprised if he gets through, truth be told. But anything is possible. Just don't hold your breath.