PDA

View Full Version : How do I get Base Privilages now that I am 100% disabled

marine40
08-01-10, 11:55 AM
Now that I am 100% disabled by VA standards, how do I get Base privilages again?

Ed Palmer
08-01-10, 01:32 PM
H.R. 4071, The Disabled Veterans Right to Commissaries and Space Available Travel Act (75 comments ↓ | 3 wiki edits: view article ↓)
•This item is from the 110th Congress (2007-2008) and is no longer current. Comments, voting, and wiki editing have been disabled, and the cost/savings estimate has been frozen.
H.R. 4071 would amend title 10, United States Code, to support disabled veterans by extending military commissary and exchange store privileges to such veterans and their dependents and by authorizing space-available travel on military aircraft for such veterans and their dependents.

Detailed Summary
Status of the Legislation
Points in Favor
Points Against
Detailed Summary
Disabled Veterans Right to Commissaries and Space Available Travel Act - Requires veterans with disabilities rated at 30% or more to be permitted to use commissary and exchange stores on the same basis as members of the Armed Forces eligible for retired or retainer pay. Extends such benefit to dependents on the same basis.

Directs the Secretary of Defense to provide transportation on Department of Defense aircraft on a space-available basis for any veteran with a service-connected disability rated at 50% or more on the same basis as members entitled to retired or retainer pay. Extends such benefit to dependents on the same basis.

Deduke
08-01-10, 03:30 PM
Your VA medical center has a benefits office. Take them your letter awarding you 100%, and they will write a series of letters for you. One will be for getting your base ID card. Other letters are for any state benefits you may rate, such as free car tags, hunting & fishing license, break on your property tax, etc.
Take the appropriate letter to where ever you will be using the commisary, and they will make an ID card for you. You will need to take other forms of ID with you, so it would be a good idea to call ahead to find out what is required.
(For instance, if you are married, and your wife wants a card, you will have to provide an original marriage license, with the embossed seal.)

thefedgotme
08-21-10, 10:14 AM
This is the language that we put into the notification letters for 100% disabled ratings: <br />
<br />
&quot;We enclosed a VA Form 21-8760, &quot;Additional Information for Veterans with Service-Connected Permanent...

Big Jim
08-21-10, 02:11 PM
All good info...thanks brothers......!!! I didn't know some of that info.....I do now...!!