PDA

View Full Version : weapon moding

REMUSMC
08-01-10, 03:38 AM
Before I was in the Marines I loved working on weapons everything from pistols to ARs. When I got to MCI I was told that you can only do some modifications to an M16. So I was wondering if I could get some info on what can be moded and what can not. It would be nice if the intell could come from a 2111.

Quinbo
08-01-10, 03:42 AM
What????

REMUSMC
08-01-10, 03:50 AM
Weapon mods like changing the pistol grip or the RIS system or using flip up sights and removing the forward sight post or changing the bold carrier group or a different type of magazine.

Quinbo
08-01-10, 04:48 AM
Couldn't you just walk over to the armory and ask?

Covey_Rider
08-01-10, 05:00 AM
Weapon modifications in general are not authorized, technically you're only allowed to use what the Marine Corps issues. Now, outside of that, it is up to command approval of what you are allowed to do and what you are not. You being a Motor T Operator, I'm not really sure what type of modifications you would even want to do...you will be seen as a gear queer for trying to create your own little tricked out weapon. I did however modify my weapon in country with my commands approval. I'll just give you my personal scenario...my battalion ran out of M4's so I was issued an M16A4. I had issues with the size of the weapon while searching for IED's, the thing had a nasty habit of swinging off my back and landing on pressure plates...So I had the upper receiver and butt stock swapped out and pretty much created an M4. Again, this was with the proper approval and the work had done be done by an armorer. It doesn't matter if you know how to do it, it still has to be done by an armorer. Now, as far as magazines are concerned...I personally carried PMAGs, however your command can tell you that you can't use them. Don't change out the bolt carrier group, there is no reason for it. You will probably get punched square in the face if you even think about taking off the front sight post...There's no reason to change the pistol grip at all, there are different grips that you can put on to the current one that will be more ergonomic, but again, only with approval. The basic gist of all of this is, don't change anything at all, until you have the go ahead...and if you do get the go ahead to make slight modifications, then be practical about it. You'll know when you cross the line because everyone will look at you like you're a retard.

Danny C Smith
08-01-10, 09:02 AM
Weapon modifications in general are not authorized, technically you're only allowed to use what the Marine Corps issues. Now, outside of that, it is up to command approval of what you are allowed to do and what you are not. You being a Motor T Operator, I'm not really sure what type of modifications you would even want to do...you will be seen as a gear queer for trying to create your own little tricked out weapon. I did however modify my weapon in country with my commands approval. I'll just give you my personal scenario...my battalion ran out of M4's so I was issued an M16A4. I had issues with the size of the weapon while searching for IED's, the thing had a nasty habit of swinging off my back and landing on pressure plates...So I had the upper receiver and butt stock swapped out and pretty much created an M4. Again, this was with the proper approval and the work had done be done by an armorer. It doesn't matter if you know how to do it, it still has to be done by an armorer. Now, as far as magazines are concerned...I personally carried PMAGs, however your command can tell you that you can't use them. Don't change out the bolt carrier group, there is no reason for it. You will probably get punched square in the face if you even think about taking off the front sight post...There's no reason to change the pistol grip at all, there are different grips that you can put on to the current one that will be more ergonomic, but again, only with approval. The basic gist of all of this is, don't change anything at all, until you have the go ahead...and if you do get the go ahead to make slight modifications, then be practical about it. You'll know when you cross the line because everyone will look at you like you're a retard.

I don't think you are going to get a better answer than this.
Semper Fi.

il duce
08-01-10, 08:17 PM
Pmags, handguards for the rails, broomstick, and a 1pt sling... That's all we're allowed to change

I did ask for a M4-style collapsible buttstock on my M16A4 several weeks ago but no luck yet

Zulu 36
08-01-10, 08:43 PM
I was Motor T in Vietnam, and I know darned well the job hasn't changed that much up to now. Your #1 job is to drive the darned vehicle, not Rambo off after the bad guys.

Just make sure the rifle you get is cleaned and properly maintained. That is what will save your butt faster than any high-speed attachments and mods.

Covey_Rider
08-01-10, 09:02 PM
Bump to you Zulu

Big Jim
08-01-10, 10:29 PM
Before I was in the Marines I loved working on weapons everything from pistols to ARs. When I got to MCI I was told that you can only do some modifications to an M16. So I was wondering if I could get some info on what can be moded and what can not. It would be nice if the intell could come from a 2111.

I can give you some good info on weapons modifications as I was once a 2111 and 2112 Armorer. The Marine Corps used to issue "10" manuals....specifically for the weapons' operator as set up by the echelons of maintenance levels. I'm sure they still issue them.....and according to them AND some specific Marine Corps orders....NO weapons operators are allowed to apply any modifications outside of standard use of any weapons systems.

When any weapons systems need any modifications...I'm talking about Marine Corps issued weapons and firearms now.....or any piece of Marine Corps equipment really...a modification order will come out on that specific model number of weapons or equipment and will order what exactly needs to be done by the proper maintenance level of mechanic.

I'll use the M9 9mm Barrett pistol for example, the Marine Corps was issued those in 1986 or so....and in 1988 it was deemed the pistols had a design flaw with the slide receiver. When they have a high number of rounds put through them they have a weak ejection port which tends to crack with high rounds count and they have a tendency to cause harm to the shooter. We applied a new hammer pin which deflected the slide receiver if cracked or blow back should happen when shooting a pistol with high rounds count. Then a specific count of rounds being put through the weapon had to accurately accounted for which would then cause the weapon to be replaced when reached a high rounds count.

Hope this answers your question...........:nerd:

Covey_Rider
08-01-10, 10:55 PM
Big Jim, good to see you're still around.

hbharrison
08-01-10, 11:17 PM
I was Motor T in Vietnam, and I know darned well the job hasn't changed that much up to now. Your #1 job is to drive the darned vehicle, not Rambo off after the bad guys.

Just make sure the rifle you get is cleaned and properly maintained. That is what will save your butt faster than any high-speed attachments and mods.

Like Julu 36 I was Motor-T in the VN and he is correct the job has not changed much your job is to make certain that what you hual get to who needs it a trickout gun is not going to help you drive that truck.

Big Jim
08-01-10, 11:19 PM
Big Jim, good to see you're still around.

Yeah buddy.....the older the bull the stiffer the horn...LOL....how you doing brother....??

Covey_Rider
08-01-10, 11:31 PM
Not doing to bad at all, getting ready for school this fall up in DC. I get out on friday. It's hard to believe that I started here as a poolee and now I'm at the end of my enlistment already. It's madness!

Big Jim
08-02-10, 03:53 PM
Not doing to bad at all, getting ready for school this fall up in DC. I get out on friday. It's hard to believe that I started here as a poolee and now I'm at the end of my enlistment already. It's madness!

Yeah....I remember that too.....that's an interesting fact about life...its always moving on....you've come a long way from that banana show on the rock...!! LOL....sorry I had to say something about that......lol.....I knew some other drunk jar-heads who ate the banana but NOT me...!! I was NOT going to eat something that came out of something that looked that beat up....HAHAHA!!

Good luck in your endeavors brother...I know you'll be a success at whatever you choose....afterall....you're a Marine...! SEMPER FI....!!

REMUSMC
08-03-10, 05:58 AM
Thanks for every ones input, its very appreciated. The main reason I wanted to know was because I'm really considering doing MARSOC and I know thoughts hard chargers do lots of crazy stuff with their...

Covey_Rider
08-03-10, 06:28 AM
Oh boy.

Big Jim
08-03-10, 09:27 AM
So you already know that MARSOC does crazy things with their weapons?? Did you even read the responses? Those crazy things are ALL done by certified, properly trained Armorers, Lance Corporal.