PDA

View Full Version : Something my mother wanted me to find out...

DevilDogsSon269
08-01-10, 01:34 AM
Are letters the only thing allowed to be mailed to a recruit while he or she is at training?

Komenko
08-01-10, 01:49 AM
Your Drill Instuctors will let you know what your parents can mail you. When I went through Powder Gatorade was high in demand for my platoon! My DIs always had 3 large 5 gallon jugs mixed and ready on the quarter deck! any food mailed will be taken and either saved at the end of training or thrown out if it gets spoiled!

Covey_Rider
08-01-10, 05:23 AM
She can send anything that she wants, it's just a matter of whether or not you'll be the one that gets to enjoy it :)

scarver007
08-01-10, 10:18 AM
Powder gatoraide mix, protein bars and vitamin C pills that's what our platoon was allowed to get and protein powder if you were under weight

Beltayn
08-01-10, 12:03 PM
Protein bars are pretty commonly allowed, at drill instructor's discretion.

DevilDogsSon269
08-01-10, 12:07 PM
Alright cool. I asked because she wanted an idea what to send me. Such as Powder Gatorade... I go through that like its water and the protein bars. Idt my mom would send me any vitamins but ok this gave me idea. Basically anything thats for health during training, non perishables, what about things that we even get when were at training like DO, Socks, tooth brushes etc?

I guess while im at it when they take you to get the stuf you need what are we allowed to buy and/or what should i get?

Beltayn
08-01-10, 12:17 PM
what about things that we even get when were at training like DO, Socks, tooth brushes etc? There's a little mini Recruit Store at Boot Camp that your drill instructors will regularly take you to. They have stocks of all your basic necessities like DO, mouthwash, socks and underwear, green shorts and undershirts (because yours will invariably somehow disappear in the laundry process), pens, stamps, writing materials, cleaning supplies, etc.
You'll be issued a card with a chip programmed with your money on it which you use to buy stuff from the Recruit Store.

I had my folks send me constant stocks of 3 things; pens, Blistex chapstick, and stamps. The chapstick for obvious reasons, and the pens and stamps because they are hot items on the recruit black market that are yet small enough to be mailed to you.

Potato Salad
08-01-10, 12:19 PM
You'll be allowed to buy hygiene/PT supplies about every 3 weeks. I wouldn't recommend to your mom to send toothbrushes, socks, etc. It's just too much trouble.

Beltayn
08-01-10, 12:22 PM
Tell her to not try and be sneaky and send you a snickers bar in a toothpaste box either. The ruse won't make it past mail call, where the drill instructors are required to witness you open all packages to check for contraband and have seen every trick in the book.

DevilDogsSon269
08-01-10, 12:24 PM
yes sir. Recruit Black Market, what are you talking about?
Any other advice on this subject?

Beltayn
08-01-10, 12:44 PM
Recruit Black Market.
Eventually, the recruits in a given platoon will get smart enough to realize that they are tired of getting destroyed because people are missing things they are supposed to have, and for having to admit that they don't have said items. A recruit underground black market will develop where those who have excess gear either by accident or by tactical acquisition will trade it off to those who are missing things either by accident or by negligence in exchange for certain commodities such as pens, stamps, green skivies, chapstick, toilet paper, etc.

A note about toilet paper. Each time the TP rolls are newly replaced in the squad bay head, be sure to grab yourself a reserve of enough for a few trips, because the TP always seems to run out in short order and if you don't have some of your own, you're out of luck.

Zulu 36
08-01-10, 12:53 PM
Recruit Black Market.

A note about toilet paper. Each time the TP rolls are newly replaced in the squad bay head, be sure to grab yourself a reserve of enough for a few trips, because the TP always seems to run out in short order and if you don't have some of your own, you're out of luck.

And this is a good tip too for when you're in the Fleet and going to the field. Always pack along your own roll of TP, just in case. Put it in a freezer weight zip lock bag and you're "good to go." :D

Komenko
08-01-10, 01:13 PM
And this is a good tip too for when you're in the Fleet and going to the field. Always pack along your own roll of TP, just in case. Put it in a freezer weight zip lock bag and you're "good to go." :D

This is SOOOOOOOO true!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Quinbo
08-01-10, 01:34 PM
Geeze you all brought back a memory. The toilet paper in oki was several rolls on a long metal bar with a padlock on it. You wanted your personal roll you bought it. Same went for hot sauce in the chow hall. Never was left on the tables. You wanted hot sauce on your food you had to sprinkle it on while still in the chow line and give it back. Them grunts will steal everything not nailed down or locked up!

sparkie
08-01-10, 01:39 PM
Bob,,,,I got a C-Rat roll in my tackle box if you need it.

DevilDogsSon269
08-01-10, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the advice Marines it really helps. Also since my pool bible is still in tally. What is wise to bring with me. I have black running shoes but, I dont remember if them or white was required. Thanks for the advice again. Just making sure I got my s**t straight when I leave. Better to prepare for what you know than not prepare at all even if the level of prep will never be enough no?

Lisa 23
08-01-10, 04:27 PM
You'll need your ID, a small address book, the clothes on your back, and probably about $20.....nothing more. Whatever it is that you'll be needing as far as hygiene items are concerned, they'll be issued to you.
You'll get new go-fasters at boot camp so everyone is the same.

DevilDogsSon269
08-01-10, 06:46 PM
Thanks WMarine. I didn't know if I needed my running shoes but, that cleared it up.

micarr57
08-02-10, 10:27 PM
you can never have enough ****paper

DevilDogsSon269
08-02-10, 11:13 PM
hahaha. This is true.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-03-10, 04:05 AM
Condoms....lots of condoms....

Sorry, this one is too easy....

Your recruiter will (or should...or they USED to...) give you a list of what you could get.

Beltayn
08-03-10, 11:41 AM
Comdoms. They make great field expedient water balloons for ambusing 4th Bn during the crucible.

DevilDogsSon269
08-03-10, 01:36 PM
Hahaha. Too funny.

sparkie
08-03-10, 03:29 PM
send me your address,,,I'll send you some Coast Guard posters.

DevilDogsSon269
08-03-10, 09:09 PM
may I ask who that was aimed at sparkie?

sparkie
08-03-10, 09:10 PM
Your demise,,,,,,,,,,,

Sgt Leprechaun
08-03-10, 09:22 PM
And we've had our fun...this one is over to avoid further....issues LOL