PDA

View Full Version : Officer Questions.

Ellerman
07-31-10, 03:00 PM
I have done a lot of research on this, but i keep getting mixed answers. Can somebody just tell me? also, can you decline a promotion from Captain to Major? Another question. what is the job of a warrant officer and do they see combat? (i get mixed answers on that also) thank you. sorry for all the questions. im not even sure if this is in the right forum section.

Zulu 36
07-31-10, 03:56 PM
I have done a lot of research on this, but i keep getting mixed answers. Can somebody just tell me? also, can you decline a promotion from Captain to Major? Another question. what is the job of a warrant officer and do they see combat? (i get mixed answers on that also) thank you. sorry for all the questions. im not even sure if this is in the right forum section.

Need a completed profile before anyone will answer. Also, you're 15-years old, why are you concerned about refusing a promotion to major already?

Ellerman
07-31-10, 04:18 PM
i just wanna know before i start setting my sights too high if that makes any sense. but my original question that i meant to type was " how much direct combat do officers see?"

Ellerman
07-31-10, 04:24 PM
i just wanna know before i start setting my sights too high if that makes any sense. but my original question that i meant to type was " how much direct combat do officers see?"

Officers above captain is what i meant.

Zulu 36
07-31-10, 05:01 PM
Ready? This is the usual Marine Corps answer for these kinds of questions: It depends. <br />
<br />
It depends on what your actual job is at those ranks. As a battalion XO or CO, you might see a lot of direct...

hussaf
07-31-10, 06:07 PM
In addition to job, combat also relies on billet, unit assignment, and AO.

josephd
07-31-10, 06:14 PM
The answer to your question is also based on whether or not that officer got selected for 0-4/Major. Once you are a senior 1st. Lt./junior Cpt. you can put in for Major and you have to be selected. If you are not selected you can only stay in as a Cpt. for a certain amount of time.

Marine84
07-31-10, 06:23 PM
I got a stupid question....................WHY would you want to "turn down" a promotion?

Wyoming
07-31-10, 08:37 PM
I got a stupid question....................WHY would you want to "turn down" a promotion?

I don't think yours is a 'stupid question', as I been thinking the same thing.

Methinks the 'stupid question' was asked in the 1st post.

Do him being a 15yo have anything to do with the issue?

sparkie
07-31-10, 08:40 PM
What the hell is this???? If he is an ossifer, I'm a pregnant billy goat.

USNAviator
07-31-10, 11:03 PM

I'm a bit confused. I looked at your profile and several Marines have referred to you as being 15. Is that the truth? Yet you list your occupation as carpenter. Personally, I don't know many 15 year olds who have an occupation other than high school student

If you truly are 15, enjoy your high school time. It won't happen again. If you are interested in joining the Corps, go see a recruiter in 2 years.

A general breakdown on officers. O1-O3 are junior officers with little administrative duties. O4-O6 are field grade officers, much more administrative responsibilities. If you are Navy or Marine Air your flight time is curtailed. From O7 and above, they are considered flag rank. At that level it's politics!!!

Many good Marines on here have taken the time to help you. I hope you show them respect and thank them

Good luck to you

hussaf
08-01-10, 10:20 AM
While a Capt. is a very junior rank (think pureblood officers being around 28 when Cpt.), sometimes the Corps puts them in decent billets. I was just deployed with a Cpt. who was the CO of a line company (company commander...how ever you want to say it).

Ellerman
08-04-10, 05:55 PM
Thank you for giving me a legitimate answer and not asking a load of questions. An answer was all i wanted. I appreciate it.

Lisa 23
08-04-10, 07:55 PM
Ellerman, you're posting in the wrong forum. Open Squad Bay is for Marines only. Read the headings over each forum as a guide......and you also may want to familiarize yourself with the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums, too.