PDA

View Full Version : long-term USMC career?

dsacasa
07-31-10, 09:23 AM
Hi all, I'm planning on enlisting when I'm done with college, however, I'm not a U.S. citizen (I'm a permanent resident), so I can't enter as an officer right away.

I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to enlist, wait until I get my citizenship, and then enter OCS?

My main goal is to have a long-term career as a Marine, my salary not being the main issue. So my second question is: what path would let me have a longer career as a Marine? Enlisted or Officer? Also, what MOS would you recommend if I plan on staying for a while?

Lisa 23
07-31-10, 09:25 AM
Try doing a search on the site as this topic has been covered many times before.

FattyTheFerret
07-31-10, 12:25 PM
I don't think it hurts to go enlisted and then later pick up a commission. Don't think you're going to be in for a long career; some people plan on retiring but get out after their first enlistment, some people plan on never looking back after they EAS but wind up pinning on CWO bars down the road.

Having a goal is good but don't try to plan your entire Marine Corps career right now. As for the MOS, just about any will offer the opportunity to continue a long career. Pick something that you think you would enjoy doing. Doesn't necessarily mean you will but your choice of MOS should be based on what you have an interest in, not what's going to make for the longest career. Twenty years stuck in a job you hate is not good for anyone.

dsacasa
07-31-10, 12:52 PM
I don't think it hurts to go enlisted and then later pick up a commission. Don't think you're going to be in for a long career; some people plan on retiring but get out after their first enlistment, some people plan on never looking back after they EAS but wind up pinning on CWO bars down the road.

Having a goal is good but don't try to plan your entire Marine Corps career right now. As for the MOS, just about any will offer the opportunity to continue a long career. Pick something that you think you would enjoy doing. Doesn't necessarily mean you will but your choice of MOS should be based on what you have an interest in, not what's going to make for the longest career. Twenty years stuck in a job you hate is not good for anyone.
Thanks, those are good points.

Kegler300
07-31-10, 02:35 PM
You can enlist first, and obtain your citizenship during your enlistment. You will need to obtain U.S. citizenship to go beyond your first enlistment, and/or apply for a commission.

BR34
07-31-10, 03:34 PM
Take Fatty's advice. No one can say for certain what they want out of the Corps and their life in the next 20 + years.

Worry about enlisting first, then take it one day at a time (don't sign a 20 year contract).

Rocky C
07-31-10, 03:39 PM
Take it One step at a Time.
Enlist, Citizenship and go from there.

Good Luck to you........

Sgt Leprechaun
08-03-10, 12:52 AM
Concur. Fatty's advice is spot on.