PDA

View Full Version : Need help for 1 Yr Workout Plan!

almostaPOOLEE
07-30-10, 09:38 PM
I'm going to be in DEP program for another year because of high school. Now i would say I'm fit right now, ill list what i get on my IST(initial strength test) below. What I'm really looking forward to use is a really good workout plan. Now i have an ID to use the gym on base, they have weight machines, treadmills, pullup bar, etc. So any good workout would be good.

I am kinda looking for a long term plan. Not no 2week thing. Also i tried looking up all over the internet even on google to find a good plan and couldn't find one. So please, the help would be greatly appreciated.

IST:

Pullups - 18/19

Crunches - 105

1.5Mile Run - 11:ish

Other info:

Weight: 135lbs (i know very light but trust i can handle it)
Height: 5'10

Yonkers
07-31-10, 12:42 AM
I'm going to be in DEP program for another year because of high school. Now i would say I'm fit right now, ill list what i get on my IST(initial strength test) below. What I'm really looking forward to use is a really good workout plan. Now i have an ID to use the gym on base, they have weight machines, treadmills, pullup bar, etc. So any good workout would be good.

I am kinda looking for a long term plan. Not no 2week thing. Also i tried looking up all over the internet even on google to find a good plan and couldn't find one. So please, the help would be greatly appreciated.

IST:

Pullups - 18/19

Crunches - 105

Other info:

Your body type is exactly me. I weigh 3 more pounds and got 3 more pull ups.. but you have plenty of time to beat me.

I would work out hardcore for 2-3 hours every tuesday thursday and saturday in that gym. Value everything you do in push ups and or sit ups (say something over 100 calories is 20 push ups).

The most important thing for you to work on is endurance since you're already physically strong. Get on a treadmill etc for at least 5-6 miles each time you go.

almostaPOOLEE
07-31-10, 10:10 AM
yeah im sure next wed for PT im going to get 20. Im going to start hitting the gym crazy now cause i just got my military ID, but its just i don't know what workouts to do.

the workout im doing right now is this and requires no weights. I call it...

x10 Workout

x5 times

5 Pullups
10 Reg Pushups - 20 Crunches
10 Wide Pushups - 20 Crunches
10 Diamond Pushups - 20 Crunches

x5 Times

5 Pullups
4 Count Flutter Kicks 30 times - 20 Crunches
4 Count Hello-Dollys - 20 Crunches
30 V-Ups - 20 Crunches

Now, you need to complete each workout 5 times. you can do it in any way u want, u can do x2 the pushup workout then do x2 of the abs one. then rotate. whatever. but you need to keep going without stopping. If u do take a rest make sure its like 30sec-1min MAX. Now i need a workout that requires treadmills, weight machines, lifting bar, curl bars, EVERYTHING.

Yonkers
07-31-10, 03:32 PM
yeah im sure next wed for PT im going to get 20. Im going to start hitting the gym crazy now cause i just got my military ID, but its just i don't know what workouts to do.

the workout im doing right now is this and requires no weights. I call it...

x10 Workout

x5 times

5 Pullups
10 Reg Pushups - 20 Crunches
10 Wide Pushups - 20 Crunches
10 Diamond Pushups - 20 Crunches

x5 Times

5 Pullups
4 Count Flutter Kicks 30 times - 20 Crunches
4 Count Hello-Dollys - 20 Crunches
30 V-Ups - 20 Crunches

Now, you need to complete each workout 5 times. you can do it in any way u want, u can do x2 the pushup workout then do x2 of the abs one. then rotate. whatever. but you need to keep going without stopping. If u do take a rest make sure its like 30sec-1min MAX. Now i need a workout that requires treadmills, weight machines, lifting bar, curl bars, EVERYTHING.
Very good one :D The best part of it is the "don't stop" portion, that is really going to help when ya get down to MCRD :evilgrin:

berts78
08-01-10, 06:01 AM
If I can be of any assistance. I very much agree with Yonkers but what I do is:
Mon.- I do my chest, bicepts, abs(hardcore), sauna, then run that night.
Tues.- Swim(until failure-then keep going) steam room, swim again, and then steam room, then run later that day.
Wed.- Legs, back, abs(hardcore)(what i mean by abs hardcore is like working them for about 40min. all different kinds everyday, if you need examples let me know), then the sauna, then run later that day.
Thurs. PT with the Marines @ 17:30
Friday- Shoulders, Tricepts, abs(hardcore lol) sauna, then run later that day.
Saturday- Every 2nd saturday of the month poolee function.

Weekends usally take off but if you do these everyday? You should be going pretty good if not switch it up as well to shock your muscles I'm also 5'10" but I'm 185lbs. haha and yes some is a little fat not very notacable tho haha.
P.S.-need anymore of my advice please let me know?
I am thinking about moving over to P90x to but I dont knw quite yet.
Now i am running everyday but the weekends and not working legs but working everyother muscle twice a week.
Right now I switched up the schedule to everything twice a week run everyday but weekends and not working legs because running works them enough.

berts78
08-01-10, 06:06 AM
oh sorry and eat like crazy lol they will give you double portions in boot camp make sure its healthy food to not junk! high in calories and protein.

almostaPOOLEE
08-02-10, 09:08 PM
If I can be of any assistance. I very much agree with Yonkers but what I do is:
Mon.- I do my chest, bicepts, abs(hardcore), sauna, then run that night.
Tues.- Swim(until failure-then keep going) steam room, swim again, and then steam room, then run later that day.
Wed.- Legs, back, abs(hardcore)(what i mean by abs hardcore is like working them for about 40min. all different kinds everyday, if you need examples let me know), then the sauna, then run later that day.
Thurs. PT with the Marines @ 17:30
Friday- Shoulders, Tricepts, abs(hardcore lol) sauna, then run later that day.
Saturday- Every 2nd saturday of the month poolee function.

Weekends usally take off but if you do these everyday? You should be going pretty good if not switch it up as well to shock your muscles I'm also 5'10" but I'm 185lbs. haha and yes some is a little fat not very notacable tho haha.
P.S.-need anymore of my advice please let me know?
I am thinking about moving over to P90x to but I dont knw quite yet.
Now i am running everyday but the weekends and not working legs but working everyother muscle twice a week.
Right now I switched up the schedule to everything twice a week run everyday but weekends and not working legs because running works them enough.

Thats a really good way of breaking down what muscles to workout. Now my thought is or lets say my schedule is.
Monday & Tuesday - All Upper Body, meaning from front to back, wrists to shoulder, and abs to back.
Wednesday - PT @ 18:00 x10 Workout Before
Thursday & Friday - Lower Body, meaning thighs to ankles, and whatever else there is..lol

Now, the advice i need from you is, what kind of workouts can i use, maybe this is something i need learn on my own and figure it out at the gym and maybe make up a schedule(i just thought of all this just now too..lol) but if u can, send me a good chest, shoulder, tricep workout or show me a picture of the weight machine and how many reps. Also i just thought of this, before i start the workout, each day, is try and do max IST, but the run do like 2Miles, start off at 1.5 but work up to 2 then 2.5 then eventually run 3 on a regular bases. Stay at three miles, cause thats plenty of enough plus you run 3miles everyday your gonna be so use to it 5 miles is gonna be cake.

Now for you, I have ALL videos of the P90X and watched them all, the thing is you need a lot of equipment, it says no gym needed, but u do need some of the stuff, like a pullup bar, the long rubber band thing that u stretch idk.. but anyways if you want i can send you all the videos if u need. just let me know if u need them. its a good workout if you have all the stuff it asks you for.

BTRoorah
08-05-10, 12:08 AM
RUN, RUN, and RUN some more ha get your endurance and conditioning as high as you can. I talked to a Marine Corp Colonel the other day at a Marine Corp function and that was his biggest advice to get ready for bootcamp he said.

Good Squire
08-05-10, 04:46 PM
Hey bert when you mention your workout, do you lift weights? I used to play football but quit for my upcoming senior year because I put on too much mass benching and squatting all the time. I weighed 193 when I started going to the PT functions at the beginning of June, now 182. Also have terrible shin splints, as you can see from my run time. :cry:

berts78
08-06-10, 11:49 PM
almostaPOOLEE and Good Squire-

almostaPOOLEE thats alot ill just send you a message lol so we can talk back and forth.
Good Squire- I do actually. I just recently switched it around a little bit tho. About the weight thing it depends on how tall you are. Im 70inches so 205 is my max weight for boot camp. Id say put it all on but dont lose stamina or speed. Speeds a big deal whether we think so or not. I never thought it was until i talked with Dave Pierson lol he showed me alot. By the way with shin splints try cutting down your running and iceing them and build your way back up: the reason you get shin splints is bcuz your heavier like me and the way you run i also have the same problem so when you run when your foot lands let the heel touch first and make strides this will also help with your lung capacity but make sure you breathe through your nose and out through your mouth believe me it helps and dont ever think about the distance just keep going lol.
hey guys excuse me if i sound over confident i hope im not. im just sharing my opinions. im sure you may have better ways of doing things than me to. if i wanted to know how to be good at halo or call of duty id ask you guys lol or for somethin else.

Nate2004
08-07-10, 12:19 AM
If for some reason you want to try out any type of video workout, do Insanity, requires zero equipment/gym and it is very intense

berts78
08-07-10, 04:12 AM
thanks Nate2004.

Good Squire
08-07-10, 05:43 PM
@berts78: Yeah I'm 5'8 and max weight is 181 which I'm basically already at. I've lost weight by running and doing the basic USMC exercises, and it's hard for me to depart from weights because that's what I've been doing since 7th grade. Whenever I lift I gain crazy size, it sucks because I also have to maintain cardio.

... If that makes sense.

PARKER93
08-07-10, 05:47 PM
I'm doing Stew Smith's Recon workout and It's working awesome so far, it is 12 weeks and you can repeat it until you ace the PFT. But it does cost a little and you would need access to a pool. He also has other workouts if your interested.

almostaPOOLEE
08-07-10, 06:10 PM
I'm doing Stew Smith's Recon workout and It's working awesome so far, it is 12 weeks and you can repeat it until you ace the PFT. But it does cost a little and you would need access to a pool. He also has other workouts if your interested.

what is Stew Smith's Recon Workout? If its the pyramid pullups,pushups,and crunches then nvm lol

Good Squire
08-07-10, 07:55 PM
Those are the ones on military dot com right?

berts78
08-08-10, 12:54 AM
Good Squire-that sounds good lol just dont get to big.

PARKER93-no offense or anything but stew smith was a navy seal not a Recon Marine or a Marine at all for that matter, I tried some of his workouts and they were crap i didnt improve at all. he did train with Recon Marines but he wasnt a Recon Marine so he doesnt know exactly what they go through just bits and pieces. So for Recon I think id ask an actual Marine that is Recon.
Navy seals deal alot with water and Recon Marines hide out and study a certain area for a period of time. What ive heard and know about it all is that Navy seals are mainly water and Recon is just all combined. I think it was on here even i was looking at a Recon Marine and a Navy Seal talking about which is better and they BOTH came to the same conclusion that Recon is actually a little more well trained than a Navy Seal.

PARKER93
08-08-10, 06:21 AM
The workout I'm doing is off of Stewsmith.com, Iv'e also done his OCS workout which is great.

Berts78-No offense taken. Iv'e talked to people that have used the same workout, and the workout is designed to ace the indoc and PFT that ill be going through. And I agree with you on the Recon vs. Navy Seal, depending on the job they are performing.

DJD
08-08-10, 10:16 AM
Berts are you implying that a Navy seal wouldnt be able to give fitness advice relevant to Recon training? The two programs are very similar in there fitness requirments and recon Marines spend a great deal of time in the water.

I personally think stews workouts are very good, they focus heavily on body weight exercise and building serious cardio strength...

Its not bench presses or curls or any other weight lifting that will get you best prepared, its building raw funtional strength. I will take someone who trains in a manner similar to stews workout than someone who trains with weights.

ScarSniper
08-08-10, 11:08 AM

IST:

Pullups - 18/19

Crunches - 105

Other info:

-----------------------------------

Seems to me like you're good to go as it stands right now, you'll be at 20 in no time. I wouldn't sweat the weight thing. It's hard for skinny people like us to gain weight (I'm 141 at, 5'8) but once you start hitting the gym on a constant basis you'll be amazed at how your arms start to structure. Looks like the only thing you need to work on is your Run. I do a lot of speed training, like Indian runs for for 3 miles with 5 or more people, and running at full sprint, then pacing, then sprinting..it works for me, and I usually run 8 miles every other day...doing 4 miles at Prospect park, waiting about 5 to 7 minutes and then running again. If you run on hill-based regions constantly, you'll find it easy to run a regular 1.5 or 3 miles of straight asphalt. But work on your stamina because it's better to be a wolf then a cheetah. (A cheetah runs at incredible bursts for short periods of time before burning out, a wolf can run all day, endlessly, without tiring.)

IST:

Pull-ups - 16
Crunches - 97
Run-time for 1.5 - 9:50

berts78
08-08-10, 11:35 PM
The workout I'm doing is off of Stewsmith.com, Iv'e also done his OCS workout which is great.

Berts78-No offense taken. Iv'e talked to people that have used the same workout, and the workout is designed to ace the indoc and PFT that ill be going through. And I agree with you on the Recon vs. Navy Seal, depending on the job they are performing.

But I do think ill go check out that workout and try it just for fun.(it is a workout cant be to bad)

berts78
08-08-10, 11:37 PM
Berts are you implying that a Navy seal wouldnt be able to give fitness advice relevant to Recon training? The two programs are very similar in there fitness requirments and recon Marines spend a great deal of time in the water.

I personally think stews workouts are very good, they focus heavily on body weight exercise and building serious cardio strength...

Its not bench presses or curls or any other weight lifting that will get you best prepared, its building raw funtional strength. I will take someone who trains in a manner similar to stews workout than someone who trains with weights.

DJD- honestly i would have to agree with you. and what do i know im just a poolee lol. yeah i tried some of his workouts and i guess they just werent for me but im sure they work for others very well.

Good Squire
08-10-10, 01:26 AM
So should I keep squatting? lol I've also heard that having excess leg muscle(have that) can be bad for 0311(what I want) because they run all the time. I am in such a dilemma about working out it's not even funny. :(

berts78
08-11-10, 12:02 AM
just run no leg workouts really maybe wall squats?

Good Squire
08-11-10, 08:44 PM
Alright cool. Thanks man.

Cellinheim
08-17-10, 06:55 PM
As for an actual workout routine that is already set and proven... Check out this book. "The Complete Guide to Navy Seal Fitness" by Stew Smith. Dude this is intense but with your IST you should be able to handle it. The only thing is that on certain days there is a swimming routine. If you have no access to it do not worry about it, it will help you on the swim in MCRD however, it breaks everything down with proper technique and everything.

Good Squire
08-18-10, 04:44 AM
Have anyone of you guys ever heard of Crossfit? This looks interesting, apparently lots of Marines use it as well.

www.crossfit.com (http://www.crossfit.com)

Cellinheim
08-18-10, 03:37 PM
I am not going to say that it is not "good" for ones health seeing as many of the exercises are basic calisthenics anyhow. However, there are certain things that will actually do more harm than good in the long run, Kipping, jerking, ect.

berts78
08-19-10, 11:39 PM
im gunna check that stuff out to thanks. whats helped me tremendiously also is www.oo-rah.com (http://www.oo-rah.com) if you guys wanna try some of that stuff.

Tony Fleri
09-07-10, 01:44 PM
So should I keep squatting? lol I've also heard that having excess leg muscle(have that) can be bad for 0311(what I want) because they run all the time. I am in such a dilemma about working out it's not even funny. :(

Okay look man...youre worrying about this way too much. Yes infantry runs alot but they also ruck alot and really the key to being good at rucking and running is strong legs. But the main thing is that you have to also focus on endurance because if you only have strength your legs wont last as long. Like you said earlier that you already have strong leg muscles then I would keep squatting at a minimum. One of the best training tools you could use to train to go infantry would be rucking. You can pick up an ALICE pack at a surplus store. Start rucking with around 30 pounds then build up to 50-60. The cool thing is about this is that maybe you wanna ruck 3 miles then stop and do pt with your ruck (ex. squats, lunges, pushups...whatever you can think of but in many sets with many reps to build muscle endurance) then ruck back 3 miles. This way your working your cardio, strength, and endurance at the same time :) But still dont forget running because theyll be running you without weight too...hope that helps