PDA

View Full Version : Marine Security Guard- requirements/MP 5811/12- requirements

DevilDogsSon269
07-30-10, 05:24 PM
I am researching more into other jobs since I do not currently have a job. I was wondering what are some requirements in getting into the Security MOS feilds 815x. More specific, is it an entry level feild? Please and Thanks.

Also, the Military Police 5811/12. Any opinions, or information not easy found about it would be appreciated.

I am sure this has been covered many times before but, currently the search bar isn't working or at least not on my computer and what i have found isnt really specific. I'd like to find out more on these jobs, what they do, the prerequisites, and opportunities found in this job such as promotion, entry into special teams or other job feilds.

I made an 83qt on my asvab. I know I should take advantage of the job opportunities provided like a technical job but, I want to research all over. I know that just because the name or basic description is simple doesnt mean the job is anything like the civilian equal, blahblahblah etc. You get the picture I am quite sure. Thanks for your time, patience and guidance Marines.

DevilDogsSon269
07-30-10, 05:28 PM
I am also interested in the MOS 8154. I already have my two references that gets me PFC and I do believe I am contract PFC due to JROTC. The research I have done says its open to E-3. I know I have to be a 8152 I believe it is just to get in first but I kinda want to know what else is required or what its all about, insight into the field. Thanks.

Zulu 36
07-30-10, 08:58 PM
I am researching more into other jobs since I do not currently have a job. I was wondering what are some requirements in getting into the Security MOS feilds 815x. More specific, is it an entry level feild? Please and Thanks.

Also, the Military Police 5811/12. Any opinions, or information not easy found about it would be appreciated.

I am sure this has been covered many times before but, currently the search bar isn't working or at least not on my computer and what i have found isnt really specific. I'd like to find out more on these jobs, what they do, the prerequisites, and opportunities found in this job such as promotion, entry into special teams or other job feilds.

I made an 83qt on my asvab. I know I should take advantage of the job opportunities provided like a technical job but, I want to research all over. I know that just because the name or basic description is simple doesnt mean the job is anything like the civilian equal, blahblahblah etc. You get the picture I am quite sure. Thanks for your time, patience and guidance Marines.

Marine Security Guard (i.e., Embassy Marines) is NOT an entry level job. You must be a Cpl or above, or a really squared away LCpl. Basically they won't look at you unless you have at least a couple of years in the Corps to develop a track record.

You can Google Marine military police and you will get the info you need. To be an MP you must be 19-years old by the time you graduate from the MOS school for 5811. Google will give you the rest.

As far as picking an MOS, pick a field you will be happy with for at least four years of your life.

DevilDogsSon269
07-31-10, 03:54 AM
Thank you sir.

BlackHills
07-31-10, 09:49 AM
There are several requirements for MSG Duty but the main ones are that you have to have 18 months time on station, be a US citizen who is capable of getting a Top Secret clearance and if a Sgt or below be unmarried. You can see the full requirements here (http://www.usmc.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN379-10.aspx) and decide if it's something you may want to do down the road.

DevilDogsSon269
07-31-10, 11:19 AM
Thanks Sergeant.

brian0351
08-02-10, 04:11 AM
...and it should be. MSG duty is the best assignment in the Marine Corps. I tell every new Marine I find to do it. It will change your life and the way you look at the world!

Beltayn
08-02-10, 09:52 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what countries were you stationed at and do you have any advice? I ship to MSG school in a matter of days.

DevilDogsSon269
08-02-10, 11:18 PM
...and it should be. MSG duty is the best assignment in the Marine Corps. I tell every new Marine I find to do it. It will change your life and the way you look at the world!

Why is it the best assignment? Why will it change my life? I'm just wondering because you are the second person to tell me this. I have my job choices down to 3 and that is number 1 or 2 on the list haven't really decided what place its gotten as I'm still torn between two.

DevilDogsSon269
08-02-10, 11:26 PM
Also since FAST is apart of the few Security Force jobs what is it exactly I mean i find descriptions of the requirements easy but nothing explaining like what the job is or what they do... I presumed that it is not my concern right now since i cant get that job for a while and if the information isn't easy to find its probably due to them covering their tracks on what they do well but, I'm just wondering because I have found almost nothing on it and the name kinda left a hook that baited me in a bit. I don't need major details just some idea of what it is so that if i chose to be a Guard I know what opportunities job wise are available in the future with out leaving that field. Also, not that this is concern but would be good to know, is the job relatively hard to get promotions in for whatever reasons or is it something that is possible and not super competitive due to size or whatever other reasons. Though Paygrade and promotion isn't my main concern, it would be nice to know when scouting my job wishlist to know some of these things. Thanks Marines.

brian0351
08-03-10, 01:25 AM
Why is it the best assignment? Why will it change my life? I'm just wondering because you are the second person to tell me this. I have my job choices down to 3 and that is number 1 or 2 on the list haven't really decided what place its gotten as I'm still torn between two.

DDS,

MSG duty allows you the opportunity to live and work in a foreign country. You gain exposure to different cultures. Exposure to the State Dept. The ability to travel in your area. Meet the Sec. of State or the President. You gain a Top Secret clearance which pretty much guarantees your employment once you get out. Finally not to mention that you have the opportunity to be one of 6 Marines in a country. It's good to be treated like a god!

BlackHills
08-03-10, 07:51 AM
MSG duty is the best assignment in the Marine Corps. A big +1.

I guess that makes me the third person to tell you that DDS. On MSG you're given a great deal of responsibility, far in excess of what a Marine of the same rank in the Fleet usually has. As Brian said, you may also get to experience places where few others have been and it can open many doors if you decide to get out. If you decide to stay in it looks really good to a promotion board. However, as it is something you can't do right out of Boot Camp you have plenty of time to weigh the pros and cons of applying for MSG Duty.

brian0351
08-03-10, 08:36 AM
Also another piece of advice regarding MSGs. You can't be married in order to join the program. Also, DO NOT have a girlfriend in the states if you plan on going. Trust me it will never work out! Lol.

thewookie
08-03-10, 09:30 AM
I am also interested in the MOS 8154. I already have my two references that gets me PFC and I do believe I am contract PFC due to JROTC. The research I have done says its open to E-3. I know I have to be a 8152 I believe it is just to get in first but I kinda want to know what else is required or what its all about, insight into the field. Thanks.

8154 and 8152 are not related to Marine Security Guard duty.

Those MOS's are, CQB team member and Marine Security Force guard, respectively.

You are correct that you need to be a 8152 before you can become an 8154, for the most part.

Beltayn
08-03-10, 12:04 PM
Again, for clarification, don't confuse the "B-Billet" secondary MOS of Marine Security Guard (which is embassy duty), with the Security Forces MOS. They are two different things.
I am a cook, and I leave to go do MSG duty in approximately 30 days.

DevilDogsSon269
08-03-10, 01:33 PM
Ah okay. Thanks. I know I cant go into it out of boot camp. I just want to see what else is out there once I get to point A. Why are MSGs not allowed to be married prior to going into the duty? Is MSG a permanent MOS or do you leave the program after so long?

BlackHills
08-03-10, 06:40 PM
Ah okay. Thanks. I know I cant go into it out of boot camp. I just want to see what else is out there once I get to point A. Why are MSGs not allowed to be married prior to going into the duty? Is MSG a permanent MOS or do you leave the program after so long?

The housing in many locations is very limited so there may not be room to house dependents, therefore it was decided to make the rule that no Sgts and below may be married. All of the Watchstanders live in the Marine House; they have their own room but may share a head with others depending upon the House. The DetCmdr, who can be married (SSgt and above) lives elsewhere.

You do one tour on MSG and then you go back to your MOS. If you desire to do a second tour on MSG at a later date then you have to go through the entire process again; applying, selection, MSG School, etc. (at least that was the case in my day).

DevilDogsSon269
08-03-10, 09:21 PM
Thanks Sergeant. I appreciate it as I am engaged and am trying to figure this one out. I think doing MSG may be very hard because of this. How long is a tour? and I will ask my current recruiter about it to see if there has been any changes I should know about. I am not worried. Yeah it would be nice to be able to live in many different places in the world but, I find that if I cannot do it due to my marital status than oh well. There's other things I can do I am sure. One question I do have is, what if your married are you entirely inelligible to apply for the job or if you have family stay in other housing and are you able to join? Also, are you required to live in the Marine housing given while on MSG duty? Im just curious about some of these things. Thanks.

So earlier I was told that FAST has nothing to do with security force Marine jobs. What is the job besides CQB work and anti-terror? How do you get into it? Finally, what are the prerequisites? Ive heard E-5+, E-4+, and E-3+ Which one is right and I take that the marital status rule is the same as MSG?

Beltayn
08-03-10, 09:47 PM
One tour as MSG is a 3 year commitment, consisting of 3 1-year long tours of duty in 3 different countries. A MSG detachment can be and often is as small as 6 Marines; 1 SSGT or above as the det commander, with 5 Marines under him.
While serving MSG, Marines are under the care of the Department of State and part of the personnel of the embassy. Because of this, too many dependents is impractical, so the watch-stander Marines under the det commander are required to not be married or be single parents. Additionally, you need to be in good long-term health because if you find yourself in Zimbabwe with the closest thing to a dentist for thousands of miles being a witch doctor with a rock and a rattlesnake, you better hope you don't get a toothache.
You will be required to live in the Marine House while at the embassy, and in third-world countries that house is often the best house in the country. You'll want to live there. Some of those places are straight mansions compared to normal billeting. Indoor swimming pool, the works.

FAST is somewhat of a different beast. Their job is essentially glorified firewatch. They are essentially grunts, but rarely do anything more than stand post. They will spend an enlistment signing log books at whatever port or nuclear power plant they happen to be assigned to protect. Most grunts I've spoken with view FAST Marines as sort of amateurs. My understanding is that FAST is composed mostly of Marines with the Security Forces MOS. Yes you can be married because they don't really go anywhere.
If you want my honest opinion, FAST is one of those jobs that sounds like it should be really cool...but isn't. If you want to fight terrorism, go infantry and actually get to fight it.

Beltayn
08-03-10, 09:54 PM
Any MOS can be MSG. Like any B-billet, you put in a package for it and are evaluated and then accepted, and then basically do it as a temporary job for however long the commitment is. MSG is the longest commitment in that it is 3 years, so if you apply for it in your first term you should be planning to either reenlist or extend your contract by a year or two. You need to either by an NCO or a squared away LCPL to be able to get the recommendation by your chain of command. There is also a minimum Time On Station requirement of 18 months (how long you've spent at your current duty station doing your actual MOS) before the Monitor for your MOS will agree to release you to go do a B-billet like MSG. If they spent all that time and money training you to be a supply guy or a computer technician or an air traffic controller, they expect to at least get a year and a half of work in that field out of you before letting you run off and do something else.
So make sure you pick an MOS you will enjoy. It won't be irrelevant, and you'll spend a significant portion of your enlistment doing it, not matter what happens.

BlackHills
08-04-10, 01:45 AM
Thanks Sergeant. I appreciate it as I am engaged and am trying to figure this one out. I think doing MSG may be very hard because of this. How long is a tour? and I will ask my current recruiter about it to see if there has been any changes I should know about. I am not worried. Yeah it would be nice to be able to live in many different places in the world but, I find that if I cannot do it due to my marital status than oh well. There's other things I can do I am sure. One question I do have is, what if your married are you entirely inelligible to apply for the job or if you have family stay in other housing and are you able to join? You're welcome. You can't be married period unless you're a SSgt or above. As Beltayn stated it's 3 years right now though that's always subject to change; when I was on MSG it was 30 months divided equally between two posts. I believe the rest of your questions were answered and I can't give you any insight into FAST as I had no experience with it.

Beltayn - Best of luck at MSG School.

thewookie
08-04-10, 07:11 AM
Their job is essentially glorified firewatch.

Well, what would you call the person on MSG duty who is opening doors for people? Glorified door openers?

Yes you can be married because they don't really go anywhere.

Such an ignorant statement. Do some research Devil Dog. Actually, if you can't find out what they are doing, or where they have been, then they are doing something right.

If you want my honest opinion, FAST is one of those jobs that sounds like it should be really cool...but isn't. If you want to fight terrorism, go infantry and actually get to fight it.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion, even the cooks.

Good luck at MSG school: you're going to be a glorified door opener. ;)

Beltayn
08-04-10, 07:29 AM
Perhaps I have FAST and Security Forces confused.
If I have a mistaken understanding, I'll get accurate info and report back later today.

thewookie
08-04-10, 08:42 AM
I'm not saying they are as high speed as they come, but they have been a few places and most of the time you or I have no clue where or when they are going next.

And I wont deny that fleet 03's will talk smack about MCSF basic level Marines, but not so much about FAST company Marines.

Someday, if you are unfortunate to have some terrorist attempt blow up your static position on Embassy duty,, more than likely FAST Company Marines are coming to reinforce and help you.

http://www.fastcompanymarines.com/index.php

I'm not trying to knock MSG, there are plenty of advantages to doing MSG over basic MCSF or even FAST.

DevilDogsSon269
08-04-10, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the link wookie. Thanks guys for all the information that has been given. I think I have the information that will help me in my decision now. If there is any thing else im sure some one or one of you Marines will continue posting. I appreciate the help that I received. It was quite helpful.