PDA

View Full Version : getting out and TMO

christ0ph0311
07-30-10, 03:14 AM
Anyone here ever EAS'd after getting married while Active Duty? I'm trying to find out if TMO pays to move both of you and your belongings back home, or just yours? Thats what I heard, since you entered the military single, they will only pay to move your stuff...

Quinbo
07-30-10, 03:35 AM
It's considered all your stuff. There is a weight limit. You won't have to go through and say this is hers and this is mine.

Garyius
07-30-10, 07:33 AM
This was a lot of years ago, but I rented a ryder truck and self moved and got a lot of money over expenses.

I have read that personal admin has moved out of the squadrons, which is too bad because it removes that base of knowledge away from you where you can easily ask a friendly face.

Vandrel
07-30-10, 07:37 AM
It's considered all your stuff.

Yup, TMO doesn't care who's trash it is... they just check the weight and then that's that. Only difference if you got married before getting out is you'd be allocated MORE on your weight limit for TMO.

ArtyOps
07-30-10, 07:37 AM
They'll move your family belongings. There should be a TMO class you can take on base at TMO. They can answer all of your questions. If you're getting out and will need some extra cash I would suggest a DITY move. Keep in ming they will only pay to move you back to YOUR home of record so if you are from, say Ashland, NC and your wife is from Cali, they will only pay to move you as far as Ashland.

ArtyOps
07-30-10, 07:39 AM
I am from Rhode Island, got out from Camp Pendleton, but moved to Maine. The money I got from my DITY move more then covered the extra 106 miles I moved.

gwamo1
07-30-10, 08:42 AM
Yep, the ol DITY move. Some people break even, some people come out on top like Artyops. Rarely do people ever lose money.

christ0ph0311
07-30-10, 08:59 AM
ok. the TMO website has a limit of 8,000 lbs w/dependents, etc.

what about cars? if we have two cars, will they pay for the gas to get them both where your going?

i know there is a TMO class, i got ahwhile before I can go though. i am still in A-stan but will be back next month, and getting out early next year. just trying to plan ahead.

thanks for all the info and tips

Quinbo
07-30-10, 09:04 AM
You've never did a TMO move until you've done one from overseas. We have stuff in long term storage (I think it is in Illinois but not sure) that counts against the weight. We already did our pack out. We have an unaccompanied baggage pack out in a couple weeks. That all falls into the grand scheme of the weight. They'll ship one car and if you drive it you get paid milage. More than one car is on you. Plane tickets etc are covered. Some of the stuff has to be paid up front then re embursed. If it is a EAS move you may or may not be able to apply for advance TLA.

Vandrel
07-30-10, 10:25 AM
what about cars? if we have two cars, will they pay for the gas to get them both where your going?

That falls under disbursing, you get paid gas money at a certain rate for each licensed driver and vehicle IF they are on different days.

Ex: You and your wife drive 2 seperate cars, you leave on Monday she leaves Tuesday, you both rate money on individual rates for gas plus food, etc.

TMO only handles your stuff, as far as getting repaid that goes on a claim form to disbursing and they cut you a direct deposit payment to cover your expenses. Only applies to EAS, not PCS.

christ0ph0311
07-30-10, 12:20 PM
ok. well we are gonna just buy the second car after we get to where we plan to settle down.

looks like we will just pack all our crap into a uhual, and tow our one car and be done with it. How does a DITY move work that way? Do you cover anything out of your pocket intially?