PDA

View Full Version : I'm basically done with High School

Jarthura
07-29-10, 07:58 PM
Hi. I'll be an upcoming Senior in High School this year and this year is basically going to be a waste because I've basically have all my credits already. I'll also be DEPing in on the second and was wondering if I can still enlist if I get a GED after I DEP in. I got an ASVAB score of 88 if that helps at all.

Lisa 23
07-29-10, 08:07 PM
Finish your senior year and get your high school diploma!!! Getting into the Marine Corps with a GED is getting harder these days. You need 15 college credits to go along with it.

josephd
07-29-10, 08:10 PM
you cannot enlist with just a GED, you must have the GED plus 12 or 15 college credits. If you are already "basically done" why would you go and just get a GED??....that doesn't make any bit of sense.

If you really are that close to being done and graduating, I would DEP in and try to graduate early and it may be possible to ship to boot camp early.

echo3oscar1833
07-29-10, 08:41 PM
Hi. I'll be an upcoming Senior in High School this year and this year is basically going to be a waste because I've basically have all my credits already. I'll also be DEPing in on the second and was wondering if I can still enlist if I get a GED after I DEP in. I got an ASVAB score of 88 if that helps at all.

Thats stupid, and your an idiot. Stay in school for one more year, and get your Diploma. Unless you want to be flipping burgers for the rest of your life. You fail:thumbdown

DrZ
07-29-10, 08:46 PM
You need to enjoy your senior year.... from the sound of it...you will never have another like it. Drive your car, party, and chase the ladies. Keep your nose out of trouble.... THEN when you get your diploma and sign up.

Get ready to work.... because no matter what you got for an ASVAB.... Boot is geared to kick your butt and make you into a Marine.

Wyoming
07-29-10, 08:49 PM
Thats stupid, and your an idiot. Stay in school for one more year, and get your Diploma. Unless you want to be flipping burgers for the rest of your life. You fail:thumbdown

You want fries with that??

sparkie
07-29-10, 08:55 PM
Never underestimate the depths of human stupidity,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ArtyOps
07-29-10, 09:11 PM

Listen very closely. You are going into the last year that you can screw off for the rest of your life. After your senior year there will be nothing but work for the rest of your damn life. Do not rush it. I know you're probably shaking your head saying "I've heard that a million times." Do not rush it because after this, real life begins.

sparkie
07-29-10, 09:15 PM
Arty,,,,,, you are so right. I'm 59, and workin a young man's job.

josephd
07-29-10, 09:16 PM
Listen very closely. You are going into the last year that you can screw off for the rest of your life. After your senior year there will be nothing but work for the rest of your damn life. Do not rush it. I know you're probably shaking your head saying "I've heard that a million times." Do not rush it because after this, real life begins.

truer words were never spoken

FattyTheFerret
07-29-10, 09:41 PM

He should certainly stay to get his diploma in order to enlist but beyond that, a GED makes absolutely zero difference in flipping burgers versus a high diploma. Other than the military and ivy league schools, no one gives a flying crap about high school diplomas versus GEDs. And even both of those groups will completely ignore the type of diploma once you've taken a single semester of college.

sparkie
07-29-10, 09:45 PM
Ged, go work at Denny's. Real Diploma,,,,,, At least you'll be above the Mexicans.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-29-10, 11:58 PM
Disagree with ya Fatty. The Marine Corps certainly cares, and unless you have a college degree in something other than "Modern Folk Dance", such as one of the sciences, it DOES matter.

Dropping out in this economy, these days, is just about the most boneheaded play you can make, unless you decide to do drugs and get a criminal record for Domestic Violence on top of it.

But, hey, you go right ahead and give it a shot. The Marine Corps is FULL. Get it? FRAKKIN FULL dude. Do you really think they want to recruit some HS Dropout with a GED no matter what your ASVAB is? Do you reallly think they NEED TO? If you do, then you've been lied to, or just aren't paying attention. Either way, your chances of enlistment are about on equal of winning the scratch off lottery at 7-11. Sure, you can win, but it's usually only 10.00.

Think long and hard on this, cause once you do it, your life path is gonna go in a whole new direction....and not in a good way.

FattyTheFerret
07-30-10, 12:54 AM
Well yes, the Marine Corps and other government jobs care but even if they're just working on a degree no one lists high school on their resume. "Pursuing X degree" when you have a dozen credits on the your transcript makes more of a difference than listing one's high school. If you're applying for a job where the difference between a HS diploma and a GED makes a difference, run away.

Not everyone gets an option to drop out and some people get out early because they already know all the crap high school will teach them the last two years. GEDs don't matter these days to any job beyond entry level phone center or cell phone salesmen. Dropping out doesn't mean a bad new direction unless you're dropping out because you're lazy or school is too hard.

But yes, he should stay if he plans on enlisting. The government needs to work off statistics, not a case-by-case consideration of an individual's assets. It has to. Play the game, be one of the good statistics.

FattyTheFerret
07-30-10, 01:00 AM
my two cents :p

Sgt Leprechaun
07-30-10, 01:10 AM
Fair enough. And you might very well be closer to the tip of the spear on this than I am. I do know that as an employer, I would look very, very, hard at someone with a GED versus someone with a HS Diploma; asking why, etc. Maybe I'm just 'old school' too much, but I see that as an 'Oh crap'.

No problem in having two different views though. Your insight's just as good as mine, just from a different level.

FattyTheFerret
07-30-10, 01:17 AM
so uh....where can I shoot you my resume? :D

Sgt Leprechaun
07-30-10, 01:19 AM
LOL. I don't think I could afford you. Wanna be a PI?

Jarthura
07-30-10, 02:40 AM
Thanks for all your inputs. Well I guess I won't be getting a GED. I just wanted to get to boot camp ASAP and not waste time learning useless electives that aren't even fun. But if I won't be eligible for boot camp, I would rather go through my last year of high school.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-30-10, 03:07 AM
Good thinkin.

FattyTheFerret
07-30-10, 08:24 AM
See if your school has an OJT program. Some schools allow you to spend the second half of the day in your senior year at work, getting credit and paid.

Another option is to see if your school has a learning program with a local college. They'll bus students over to the college or university to take the basic core curriculum classes all the while still receiving credit for them toward the high school graduation. It'll give you a head start on a college education and if you manage to get 15 college credits out of it your recruiter will love you for it.

crazymjb
07-30-10, 08:35 PM
Finish and finish strong. Most Marines aren't lifers, and your gonna want the best leg up when you get out of the Corps and go to work or apply to school. I hated high school with a passion, loved senior year. It will be especially fun if you've got all the hard crap out of the way. Good luck and again, finish strong.

Mike