PDA

View Full Version : DQd over scars?

Murdoc
07-29-10, 03:21 PM
I spoke to the local Sgt. Recruiter today and completed my ASVAB. However he was unable to give me an interview due to a set a scars on my left forearm. He brought up the Marine Corps tattoo policy, stating that he was unsure if scars fell into this category or not. He asked me to come back the following Monday and speak to the PT leader. The scars were "professionally" done at a local tattoo parlor, quite awhile ago. I am aware of how stupid and sophomoric of me it was to have them done, but lay into me anyways. The recruiter wasn't able to give me much information, only telling me it should be fine as I have already taken steps to remove them, and how it has already nearly faded. He asked a few more Q's, wanting to make sure I didn't do it to my self for some sick fetish, or something along those lines.

Sorry for the bad photo quality, these were taken on a cell phone. As you can (sort of) see from the photos, only a few of the deeper scars remain.

Lisa 23
07-29-10, 03:27 PM
How about filling out your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to.
I believe the best answers you are going to get are from a recruiter. The Marines here aren't recruiters and can only offer advice.

Good luck to you.

FPM
07-29-10, 03:32 PM
You have got to be kidding me, You paid to have professional scars tattoos put on ?? (Shaking my head)

:flag:

Murdoc
07-29-10, 03:35 PM
All right, filled out my profile. I spoke to a recruiter, he was uncertain on what to do.
All I am asking for is advice.

sparkie
07-29-10, 03:36 PM
Why would the Marines want you if you look like a cutter? That's just messed up. Next time save money, do it yourself.

Murdoc
07-29-10, 03:38 PM
You have got to be kidding me, You paid to have professional scars tattoos put on ?? (Shaking my head)

:flag:

I know.

Murdoc
07-29-10, 03:42 PM
Why would the Marines want you if you look like a cutter? That's just messed up. Next time save money, do it yourself.

I've got many things to offer to the Marines, and I guess I'm just hoping they won't brush me off as a "cutter" when I have never had a suicidal thought in my life.

sparkie
07-29-10, 03:46 PM
I've known a few young cutters. Not too stable if you ask me. At best, I bet you have a lot of explaning to do. DQd? I would say that is a strong possibility now a days. I'm bettin you grew a few more brain cells since then. Good luck to ya.

Murdoc
07-29-10, 03:51 PM
Yes sir. My main concern is whether or not it would be considered a tattoo.

sparkie
07-29-10, 04:08 PM
I would consider the implications worse than a tat. Only your recruiter knows for sure.

usmchauer
07-29-10, 07:38 PM
What was the design you had done? I can't really distinguish much.

sparkie
07-29-10, 09:02 PM
So what is the newest rock and roll bullcrap today? No stupidity new under the sun.

FattyTheFerret
07-29-10, 09:43 PM
hahahahahahahahaha that's the third dumbest tat I have ever heard of

That being said, I'm sorry to tell you that waivers for that kind of thing are few and far between. We're overstrength right now...maybe wait until the economy gets better and we invade another country.

sparkie
07-29-10, 09:49 PM

That being said, I'm sorry to tell you that waivers for that kind of thing are few and far between. We're overstrength right now...maybe wait until the economy gets better and we invade another country.

Yea,,,, Like Fatty said,,,,,, Wait to join the Space Marines. On the bounce.

Murdoc
07-30-10, 12:01 AM
What was the design you had done? I can't really distinguish much.

I've been taking measures to remove it. About 90% has now been faded away almost entirely. It originally had been a block of Polynesian pattern, stretching around my arm. It looked awesome for about a week, then I started slowly removing it.

Murdoc
07-30-10, 12:02 AM
So what is the newest rock and roll bullcrap today? No stupidity new under the sun.

You lost me, what are we talking about on this thread now?

Murdoc
07-30-10, 12:04 AM

Are there ACTUALLY two tattoos dumber than mine? Really?

Sgt Leprechaun
07-30-10, 12:04 AM
You'll note the harsh responses....

Hard, but true. Def. one of the stranger questions I've seen, but who knows? Might get a waiver after all. I've seen stranger things.

But don't count on it I'm afraid.

Murdoc
07-30-10, 12:08 AM

There will be no waiting. I'm just busting my ass in PT, trying to show that I belong in boot camp. My recruiter says that there is a VERY slight chance it might fall under the tattoo policy. However if that is the case I need to have it photographed. I also apparently need to undergo a psych evaluation, just to prove I'm not insane, or perverted, or whatever.

Murdoc
07-30-10, 12:12 AM
You'll note the harsh responses....

Hard, but true. Def. one of the stranger questions I've seen, but who knows? Might get a waiver after all. I've seen stranger things.

But don't count on it I'm afraid.

These are harsh responses? Thank you all for the advice, and whatnot.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-30-10, 12:19 AM
No worries. You never can tell. It's certainly worth a shot.

FattyTheFerret
07-30-10, 12:57 AM
Are there ACTUALLY two tattoos dumber than mine? Really?

Mr Cool Ice.

Quinbo
07-30-10, 01:13 AM
I can't picture a way to remove a scar that would not leave another scar.

Beltayn
07-30-10, 08:49 AM

I want to join the Space Marines.

gwamo1
07-30-10, 09:18 AM
I dont understand why this would even be a big deal? Just don't even mention it. "Hey, I fell on some knifes" END! I have scars all over my body from a car wreck I had in 2000. My entire left upper arm is covered in scars as well as a huge scar going across my head and 2 scars from chest tubes on my ribcage. Obviously a few more than you have. Just went to MEPS, showed them the medical records, no problem. Again, why is this ANY type of problem?

Quinbo
07-30-10, 09:42 AM
I dont understand why this would even be a big deal? Just don't even mention it. "Hey, I fell on some knifes" END! I have scars all over my body from a car wreck I had in 2000. My entire left upper arm is covered in scars as well as a huge scar going across my head and 2 scars from chest tubes on my ribcage. Obviously a few more than you have. Just went to MEPS, showed them the medical records, no problem. Again, why is this ANY type of problem?

The problem would be self inflicted scars indicating attempted suicide. Hello??? Could make any story you want about how you got them. Satanic ritual and it is part of my religion. Fixing the hay bailer and the folder smashed down on my arm and when I yanked it out it left all these cuts. Went to a tatoo parlor willing to carve me up like a thanksgiving turkey, I did it on a dare. I'm from somoa and they do that as a right of passage.

Perception is reality and the perception is that it is attempted suicide.

Tall hill to climb to proove it was not attempted suicide and even then there will be skeptics.

gonzo4
07-30-10, 11:32 AM
I think falling on knives sounds better than professionally done scaring. WTF is it anyway?

Beltayn
07-30-10, 12:57 PM
Space Aliens did it.

Wyoming
07-30-10, 02:30 PM
You weren't DQ'd over scars, you were DQ'd over stupidity.:thumbdown

Murdoc
07-30-10, 07:04 PM
Mr Cool Ice.

You win.

Murdoc
07-30-10, 07:06 PM
I can't picture a way to remove a scar that would not leave another scar.

It leaves a scar, but it's a lot less noticeable than the body mod.

Murdoc
07-30-10, 07:09 PM
I think falling on knives sounds better than professionally done scaring. WTF is it anyway?

It's for people who would prefer a few cuts over several thousand needle pricks I suppose. I didn't have too many brain cell back then.

Murdoc
07-30-10, 07:12 PM
You weren't DQ'd over scars, you were DQ'd over stupidity.:thumbdown

Thank you sir may I have another?

I haven't been DQd at all. They have more sense than that at the recruiting office to at least allow me to present my case.

FattyTheFerret
07-30-10, 07:30 PM
yeah, don't feel discouraged by these guys. everyone makes mistakes and does hilariously retarded stuff as a kid.

sparkie
07-31-10, 07:51 AM
Let me see,,,,in the 50s, tatoos, nope. piercings,,nope. Skateboards, nope. Dirt bikes,, nope. Turning over the neighbors outhouse,, yep, stupid.

FattyTheFerret
07-31-10, 09:01 AM
people had tattoos in the 50s. nothing stupid about dirt bikes or skateboards or even piercings

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/skateboarding_is_not_a_crime.png

no skateboards in the 50s....no wonder people didn't have a sense of humor :D

sparkie
07-31-10, 09:21 AM
no skateboards in the 50s....no wonder people didn't have a sense of humor :D

We laughed at different things,,,like saggy stockings on little old ladies. Or an old fart spittin tobaccy on his shoes.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-02-10, 05:16 PM
Ahh, the memories. I think this one ran it's course.