PDA

View Full Version : VA Prescription Copays

TMM54
07-28-10, 06:05 AM
I just figured out that the VA is charging $8.00 copays for medications that cost only $4.00 at Walmart. Even worse, the VA likes to give you 90 day supplies of the med's their doctors prescribe, so the copays are $24.00, and at Walmart, the cost is only $10.00.

Metformin for diabetes is an example.

My question is if Walmart can negotiate such a good price, why can't the VA? And if the cost is available to Walmart then it is probably available to the VA, and this means that the VA is charging disabled veterans for their health care - how can this be?

Please everyone, start writing your Congressmen/Women and U.S. Senators about this.

And get a written prescription for your medications - I never thought that I would say go to Walmart - but in this case, it beats the VA.

Semper Fi, Tom

TMM54
07-30-10, 08:37 AM
From the Federal Supply Schedule, which is the negotiated prices (I think) that the Government gets for goods and services, the cost of metformin (diabetes med) is $.05/or $.10 per day. For a 90 day...

ggyoung
07-30-10, 11:01 AM
There must be some state laws governing this kind of stuff. In Utah if you go the the drug store the most you can get is a 30 day supply. But if you get your meds through the mail you can get a 90 day supply.