PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in Northern VA

Daedalus2040
07-27-10, 03:38 PM
I'm a reservist at Quantico going to school right now. My summer classes end in a week and with that so does my housing allowance. My regular job has lost the majority of our contracts so there is little work to go around. That being said, I also have a baby coming in 5 weeks and I need another job to keep the boat afloat. I tried going ADOS/ADSW, but the orders take too long to process in time. Anybody know of any jobs in the Northern Virginia area that are reserve/military/student friendly? Or any suggestions? Thanks and Semper Fi

SGTBrentG
07-27-10, 03:51 PM
What is it that you do?

Bdchi1
07-27-10, 03:52 PM
I'm a reservist at Quantico going to school right now. My summer classes end in a week and with that so does my housing allowance. My regular job has lost the majority of our contracts so there is little work to go around. That being said, I also have a baby coming in 5 weeks and I need another job to keep the boat afloat. I tried going ADOS/ADSW, but the orders take too long to process in time. Anybody know of any jobs in the Northern Virginia area that are reserve/military/student friendly? Or any suggestions? Thanks and Semper Fi

What is your MOS? What is your degree focus? Are you looking for a paycheck or something to build a career on? How many hours do you want and/or need and/or can handle? Are you transient to the area?

Daedalus2040
07-27-10, 08:22 PM
I'm an 0313/0311 and my degree focus is Global Affairs with a concentration in Middle Eastern Studies (basically international relations) and about a year left in school. So ideally I need something thats around 20 something hours a week that I can fit in to a school schedule. On the side I've been an armed security officer for clubs/bars, but we've lost a lot of our contracts so work is thin. I'd like to get something that a career could be built on, but realistically I'll take what I can get to get my family by.

USNAviator
07-27-10, 08:39 PM
I'm an 0313/0311 and my degree focus is Global Affairs with a concentration in Middle Eastern Studies (basically international relations) and about a year left in school. So ideally I need something thats around 20 something hours a week that I can fit in to a school schedule. On the side I've been an armed security officer for clubs/bars, but we've lost a lot of our contracts so work is thin. I'd like to get something that a career could be built on, but realistically I'll take what I can get to get my family by.

We lived in Centerville while I was stationed at the Pentagon, nice area bit pricey.

Have you looked into Fed Jobs? The Fed is always hiring. The downside is you need a Fed specific tailored resume to pass through their scanners. You can get that info on line

It takes the Fed about 6-12 months to hire unless you know someone but once in never out!! Think about it! It's a great place to work with plenty of benefits and great retirement

If you're looking to keep a roof over your head, temp work is plenty in D.C. Think about moving further south toward Q to save some bucks on rent. I live in the Richmond area and know people who commute to D.C. daily.

Wish I could help more but that's all I got

Good luck to you :thumbup:

Quinbo
07-27-10, 11:46 PM
I worked at the Lowes in Woodbridge for about a year. Evenings and weekends. If I called and said I had duty they worked with me. It was about 20 + hours a week. I'm trying to remember .... I think starting pay was $10.50 an hour. They like military.

echo3oscar1833
07-28-10, 12:45 AM
I worked at Target in the Asset Protection Program busting shoplifters while in the Corps at Jacksonville NC. It was skate, like Bulkyer said most places if they know your a Marine on AD they will work with you. I worked anywhere from 20-30 hours a week. It was a blast nothing wrong with moonlighting and making some extra cash, just make sure you keep your Command informed of what your doing. They don't like it when you go behind there back, and do that with you the First Sergeant, and CO's permission. Semper Gumby!!:D

SGTBrentG
07-28-10, 10:58 AM
I used to work for a security company that had some armed contracts in that area. I have put in a call to my old boss and will let you know if I get some good news for you.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-28-10, 11:30 PM
USAJobs is where I'd start if you want to go fed. I know that Quantico "Marine Police" were hiring at one time, if you want to go that route (Federal civilian cops).

dwhitehorne
07-29-10, 06:33 PM
Were hiring. Lots of former Marines in the ranks. David
http://www.nps.gov/uspp/

Sgt Leprechaun
07-29-10, 06:45 PM
Wish I could do that....too old LOL

USNAviator
07-29-10, 08:21 PM
Were hiring. Lots of former Marines in the ranks. David
http://www.nps.gov/uspp/

That's a great opportunity for young men and women. Thank you for posting!!

rheinmark187
09-03-10, 08:16 PM

Deliver pizza along with whatever job you can get together to feed your family. I did that in college and was surprised at what I took home every night.

rheinmark187
09-03-10, 08:25 PM
Do we have to block out our social security number when uploading our DD214 to usajobs.gov?

I'm uploading my DD214 with my profile and just have reservations on it. Surprisingly, it's not a question that's been asked on the site.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-03-10, 08:28 PM
Good question. Not sure, but I sure would.

MasterGunsmith
09-03-10, 08:41 PM
Finding a part time job should be no problem. There wont be much moneey with it though. I suppose if you are looking for the best federal job go for the Department of Energy. If not looking for a career and just looking for some quick cash you might consider getting pimped on the corners in DC. Quick cash and fast money. LOL...