PDA

View Full Version : Things You Don't Hear Anymore

Phantom Blooper
07-27-10, 09:01 AM
THINGS YOU DON'T HEAR ANYMORE

*Be sure to refill the ice trays, we ' re going to have company.

*Watch for the mailman, I want to get this letter to Willie in the mail today.

*Quit slamming the screen door when you go out!

*Be sure and pull the windows down when you leave, it looks like a shower is coming up.

*Don't forget to wind the clock before you go to bed.

*Wash your feet before you go to bed, you've been playing outside all day barefooted.

*Why can't you remember to roll up your britches legs? Getting them caught in the bicycle chain so many times is tearing them up. You have torn the knees out of that pair of pants so many times there is nothing left to put a patch on.

*Don't you go outside with your school clothes on!

*Go comb your hair; it looks like the rats have nested in it all night.

*Be sure and pour the cream off the top of the milk when you open the new bottle.

*Take that empty bottle to the store with you so you won't have to pay a deposit on another one.

*Put a dish towel over the cake so the flies won't get on it.

*Quit jumping on the floor! I have a cake in the oven and you are going to make it fall if you don't quit!

*Let me know when the Fuller Brush man comes by, I need to get a few things from him.

*You boys stay close by, the car may not start and I will need you to help push it off.

*There's a dollar in my purse, get 5 gallons of gas when you go to town.

*Open the back door and see if we can get a breeze through here, it is getting hot.

*You can walk to the store; it won't hurt you to get some exercise.

*Don't sit too close to the TV. It is hard on your eyes.

*If you pull that stunt again, I am going to wear you out! Don't lose that button; I'll sew it back on after awhile.

*Wash under your neck before you come to the table, you have beads of dirt and sweat all under there.

*Get out from under the sewing machine; pumping it messes up the thread!

*Be sure and fill the lamps this morning so we don't have to do that tonight in the dark.

*Here, take this old magazine to the toilet with you when you go, we are almost out of paper out there.

*Go out to the well and draw a bucket of water so I can wash dishes.

*Don't turn the radio on now, I want the battery to be up when the Grand Ole Opry comes on.

*No! I don't have 10 cents for you to go to the show. Do you think money grows on trees?

*Eat those turnips, they'll make you big and strong like your daddy.

*That dog is NOT coming in this house! I don't care how cold it is out there, dogs don't stay in the house.

*Sit still! I'm trying to get your hair cut straight and you keep moving and it is all messed up.

*Hush your mouth! I don't want to hear words like that! I'll wash your mouth out with soap!

*It is time for your system to be cleaned out. I am going to give you a dose of castor oil tonight.

*If you get a spanking in school and I find out about it, you'll get another one when you get home.

*Quit crossing your eyes! They will get stuck that way!

*Soak your foot in this pan of kerosene so that bad cut won't get infected.

*When you take your driving test, don't forget to signal each turn. Left arm straight out the window for a left turn; left arm bent up at the
elbow for a right turn; and straight down to the side of the door when you are going to stop.

*It's: ' Yes Ma'am! ' and ' No Ma'am! ' to me, young man, and don't you forget it!

You kids be home when the street lights come on.

Eat all your vegetables. People are starving in China.

Be sure to go to the Standard station for gas. I need some more of their glasses.

Help me get the clothes in off the line. It looks line rain.

Take this lard with you when you go to the butcher so that he can render it.

Give this dime to your teacher today so that you can buy another savings stamp toward your war bond.

Will one of you kids squeeze this oleomargarine bag so that the color spreads through it?

Put that BB gun away. You're going to put someone's eye out.

I don't know where you put your skate key. If you expect to go roller skating, you have to take better care of your things.

Take these shoes to the shoemaker and have him put Cats' Paws half soles on them and cleats on the heels.

sscjoe
07-27-10, 09:15 AM
If you are going out put on clean underwear in case you have an accident and have to go to the doctor.

"Wait till your father gets home."

gkmoz
07-27-10, 09:29 AM
God Bless America !! Moz :flag::thumbup:

Skosh59
07-27-10, 12:56 PM
extra! Extra! Read All About It .............

kenrobg30
07-27-10, 01:08 PM
You could tell where people stood in local society, by the number of seats they had in their outhouses. We had three, two for adults, and one for kids. Please, don't ask !! :beer: S/F!!! Ken

Danny C Smith
07-27-10, 02:07 PM
You could tell where people stood in local society, by the number of seats they had in their outhouses. We had three, two for adults, and one for kids. Please, don't ask !! :beer: S/F!!! Ken
Ours was a one holer, one size fit all.
I reckon we were poor folks that didn't quite know it.
The one at the Church had three though.
I was very young at this time maybe 5 or 6 but I do remember it well.
Again, don't ask. Please. LOL:confused:

DevsDad
07-27-10, 08:22 PM
I only need 2 more books of green stamps for a new coffee pot.
I allmost have a full set of dishes, I hope they dont stop giving them away before next payday when I get groceries

jetdawgg
07-27-10, 08:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoPL7BExSQU

USNAviator
07-27-10, 09:37 PM
Great thread Chuck

To this day I can still hear my Mom saying "turn out that light. we're not keeping Eddison" Still confused about that one LOL

Here's an old one "All Aboard" at an airport!!

Mail twice a day! It did happen

Cobblers

Women hat stores

Air Mail Stamps

Long distance operators LOL

" Number please?"

Two or three local TV stations and you were trans-fixed

Typewriters and carbon copies

Oh I could go on but I'm sure there are many more memories from all on here

Phantom Blooper
07-27-10, 09:52 PM
Wait for me to go to the feed store with you,I want to pick out the feed sack with the pretty flowers on it.

I always buy this soap because it has the nicest dinner plates in it.

And don't forget to check the tires and make sure you replace those dust caps on the valve stems after you put in the $3.00 worth of gas.

Hurry home from school, you can still pick 600 lbs of cotton before dark.

If you cough one more time, you'll get a spoonful of kerosene with sugar.

Take those shoes off when you get home from school, don't want to wear them out. It summer you go barefooted.

Be careful, those are your Sunday-Go-To-Meetin' clothes.

Behave our you can't read the funny paper next Sunday.

Here's your quarter for the picture show, popcorn and coke. Make sure you bring me back the change.

Get a haircut, you look like a girl!!!!

Make sure you lock the door on the pickup when you get to school, you don't want somebody to steal the rifle in the back window rack.

Be careful driving that pickup with all those kids in the back, somebody could fall out accidentally.

Go get me a switch off that peach tree, you gonna get a whoopin'. Make sure its big enough our you'll have to go back until you get a bigun'.

Go get the razor strap, you got a whoopin' commin'.

josephd
07-27-10, 10:20 PM
I am not even that old but I remember hearing a majority of those from someone in my family when I was growing up.

USNAviator
07-27-10, 11:25 PM
Saturday afternoon movies. Where fifty cents got you into a double feature with cartoons. Big box of popcorn was 25 cents LOL.

To all of you who read this under 30, yes it's the truth. It's the way it was. But y'all will will be dreaming how great things were in 2010 in 2040 LOL

Time passes

josephd
07-28-10, 01:03 AM
Saturday afternoon movies. Where fifty cents got you into a double feature with cartoons. Big box of popcorn was 25 cents LOL.

To all of you who read this under 30, yes it's the truth. It's the way it was. But y'all will will be dreaming how great things were in 2010 in 2040 LOL

Time passes

I am under 30 and I heard a lot of this/was used to this, very correct though...

Hell I remember filling up gas in my truck in HS at $0.89/gallon. There never used to be a need for a dollar menu at the fast food chains because everything was still cheap enough anyway.

The the generation gaps between even similar ages is amazing sometimes. It all depends on where you lived/grew up though too

kenrobg30
07-28-10, 06:30 AM
I was laid off from my driving job, so I went to work in a gas station. Try these:
Check your oil, Sir ?
Fill it up, Ma'am ?
Let me check those tires for you , Sir.
Let me get that windshield for you ,Ma'am.
Thank you, Sir .
The services were free, and the gas was $0.25, to $0.28 a gallon. Kinda brings tears to your eyes don't it ?:cry: OH yeah, Beer was a nickel a glass.:) S/F!!! Ken

Phantom Blooper
07-28-10, 06:42 AM
Check your oil, Sir ?
Fill it up, Ma'am ?
Thank you, Sir .
The services were free, and the gas was $0.25, to $0.28 a gallon.

And free road maps to any where in the U.S. :evilgrin:

silverdollar
07-28-10, 06:53 AM
I remember buying cigarettes for 16 cents a pack and there were three new pennys in the side of the pack, diesel fuel for 8 cents a gallon, gas at 15 cents a gallon and stations would have gas wars, no telling how low it would go, 16 cents for movie, 5 cents for popcorn, 5 cents for coke.

Mongoose
07-28-10, 07:31 AM

Time passes
If you remember they also had a news reel. Showing news of national intrest.

DrZ
07-28-10, 07:34 AM
Lets see....

Boy... here is 25 cents. Run down to the store and get my a pack of Lucky Strikes and bring me my change!

Yes Sir... that was 22 gallons of Ethyl which came to $4.18 and you get 82 cents back and 4 green stamps.

So you have 3 Tootsie Rolls, 5 pieces of Double Bubble chewing gum, and a Snickers Bar...that will be 25 cents.

Make sure you take the milk jug with you so we don't have to pay the 10 cent deposit.

Good Morning Ma'am. I am collecting for the Dallas Times Herald. That will be $3.00 for the month.

You damn kids.... the electric bill this month was $13.00! I DON'T OWN THE ELECTRIC COMPANY...TURN OFF THE DAMN LIGHTS!

Happy 50th Anniversary (Very rarely hear this now... thinking it over.... the same is often true for 40th, 30th, 20th...and 10th)

I would like to offer you employment as our Senior Engineer. Your starting salary will be $22.5K a year! (Back then.... I was hoping for $20K... YES!!!)

Did you feed the chicken and pick eggs? Slop the hogs? Feed and milk the cows? Feed the horses? Good...then go get ready for school while I make your breakfast.

Well Larry.... you have been a really good employee for the past year. I am giving you a $1.00 a week raise! It's OK.... I know I am being generous but you did well!

So you want my old '56 Chevy huh? I will sell it to you for $75 and you can pay me $5 a week until you pay it off.

Liability insurance only? That will be $100 a year. I know it is expensive but damn kid.... you are 16!

If you kids want to go to the movies.... you can walk to town and collect soft drink bottles on the way. Sell them at the store. If you get 50 cents... that will be enough for both of you to get in, have a hot dog and pop corn. You be back home before bed time!

There are so many more.... but I have to quit. I am depressed now! lol

Mongoose
07-28-10, 07:35 AM
You could take a ten dollar bill. Fill your car up, buy a carton of cigs., and a case of beer. And still have a little change left.

USNAviator
07-28-10, 08:03 AM
I was laid off from my driving job, so I went to work in a gas station. Try these:
Check your oil, Sir ?
Fill it up, Ma'am ?
Thank you, Sir .
The services were free, and the gas was $0.25, to $0.28 a gallon. Kinda brings tears to your eyes don't it ?:cry: OH yeah, Beer was a nickel a glass.:) S/F!!! Ken

Ken did you wear a bow tie and hat? LOL. Like the men from Texaco?

And gifts if you bought enough gas?

Free air and water!

kenrobg30
07-28-10, 08:34 AM
I wore dungarees, a t-shirt, with my cigs rolled in the sleave, and steel-toed work shoes. In the fall, I changed summer tires to snow tires, for $0.50 a wheel, and said, "Thank you, bring it back in the spring. " ;) S/F!! Ken

Old Marine
07-28-10, 10:17 AM
Don't forget to wash your hands before mixing the color in the margarine.

ameriken
07-28-10, 10:29 AM
Even though I grew up with a refrigerator, my parents didnt, and in the 60's they still had the habit of calling it the 'ice box' so I grew up with the terminology. Even today I'll find myself using the term once in a while.

kenrobg30
07-28-10, 10:56 AM
Even though I grew up with a refrigerator, my parents didnt, and in the 60's they still had the habit of calling it the 'ice box' so I grew up with the terminology. Even today I'll find myself using the term once in a while.

Hey Ken, I remember the iceman delivering ice, with his horse and wagon, and how excited us kids got when he pulled up in his new, second hand Model-T truck. I also remember my Mom buying Vegetables from an old farmer, with his Huckster Wagon, also a Model-T.We kiuds didn't know there was a depression.:thumbup: S/F!! Ken

Danny C Smith
07-28-10, 03:16 PM
How many of you Marines remember killin' hogs in the fall?
Hey! I'm an Okie.
Hunting whatever the heck you wanted to on your own land?
No license required.
Your Grand Mother churning butter in an old crock?
Grand Pop making kraut out in the yard?
Both of them making and canning home made ketchup?
Both making home made preserves from fruit grown on
their own land?
The smoke house?
Giving away fruit and vegetables to "poor" folks because we
had to much anyway?
Grand Pop killing a deer, processing it himself, and taking it to
"the widdow(name here)? The one with 5 or 6 kids.
I was raised by these people and I remember it well.
My Grand Parents actually took their bed outside in the Summer
and slept under a huge Osage tree. All Summer. Every Summer.
They married young and stayed that way their entire lives!
He was 19 and in the Army. She was 16.
Yep times change.

Sgt Jim
07-28-10, 06:59 PM
Remember getting a bath in the washing machine after grandma would take the ringer off and the agitator out,she used the home made lye soap to wash everything even us then rinsed us off with water from the hand pump at the kitchen sink,that well water was cold!!.how many got a spit bath before getting out of the car at church?

ecfree
07-28-10, 07:12 PM
Yeah JIM,also the spit to the hair to make it neat for church...
How about the man yelling loud,,,HEY GET YOUR COLD BEER,,,at the ball park.....
Slice of pizza and a coke for 25 cents...
Songs on the juke box,5 for a quater.....

Phantom Blooper
07-28-10, 07:37 PM
Always pick up the phones ear piece quietly and make sure no one is already talking before cranking to get the operator.

Listening on a party line

[I]Brylcreem[/I

Bryl-creem, a little dab'll do ya,
Use more, only if you dare,
But watch out,
The gals will all pursue ya,--
They'll love to put their fingers through your hair.
Bryl-creem, a little dab'll do ya,
Bryl-creem, you'll look so debonair.
Bryl-creem, the gals will all pursue ya,
They'll love to RUN their fingers through your hair.

USNAviator
07-28-10, 07:37 PM
Actually writing letters and sending them off with Air Mail stamps (Par Avion) For quicker US Delivery

Baseball cards in the spokes of your bike

PF Flyer sneakers

Reading in TV Guide that certain shows were in Color not B&W

Banks open from 10:00 till 15:00. Bankers hours

Some states had Blue Laws, nothing was open on Sunday

Transistor radios, no tubes

Some of you country gentlemen may remember band concerts on Sunday afternoons in the town square

Your Mom hanging clothes on the line because no one had a dryer. And you cold weather gentleman, all those clothes would be frozen stiff in the winter

One TV, one car

Unless you lived in the country, you walked to school

No such thing as "play dates" you simply hung out with the kids in the neighborhood. Played pick up sports depending on the season. Nothing was organized by adults

Sgt Jim
07-28-10, 07:43 PM
Burma-shave signs on the side of the road

DrZ
07-28-10, 07:46 PM
From what my children told me about 10 years ago was you got a friend who was your intermediarywho would ask the girl or guy you were interested in...if they were interested in going out. If they were... you were an exclusive couple. Anyone who dated a bunch of people was a ho or simply a person of loose morals who you didn't want to hang with.

So how many remember going out with a different girl every day until you found the one who was special enough to give your high school ring or letterman jacket...or God forbid.... BOTH?

Damn....I am feeling older by the minute!

SlingerDun
07-28-10, 08:02 PM
I want to pick out the feed sack with the pretty flowers on itPurina checkerboard was popular for backroom drapes and cupboard liners because it collected high desert grit and was easy to replace. We used it, but when driving past a shanty decorated with gingham, pop's still could not resist saying: "Wonder what the poor people are doing today"

Mongoose
07-29-10, 07:28 AM
I remember us taking tubes out of the t.v. We would take them to Safeway to test them on a tube tester. If you found a bad one, you could buy one there.

AKA HITMAN
07-29-10, 07:33 AM
All I heard growing up was: Keep doing that and you'll go blind!

Phantom Blooper
07-29-10, 07:40 AM
All I heard growing up was: Keep doing that and you'll go blind!

And did you ask,"Can I do it at least until I need glasses?"

:evilgrin:

kenrobg30
07-29-10, 07:48 AM
DAN, that Bryll cream jingle got stuck in my head, so I'd go around all day, singing it, and Jim, I used to watch for those Burma Shave signs every time I got in the car. I hated it, when I missed one. I think it was an obsession. If you People keep this up, I'm gonna cry all over my keyboard. :beer: (12oz glass of beer $0.05 ) :D S/F!!! Ken

vipere6
07-29-10, 07:50 AM
:evilgrin: I remember hearing alot of these sayings. I remember my grampa saying he had two bits. Meaning 50 cents. You guys are really making me feel my age. Ha. Ha. Ha. :cry:

Simper Fi

kenrobg30
07-29-10, 08:01 AM
Welcome to the OLD folks home Viper. You have to furnish your own DEPENDS though. :beer: S/F!! Ken

ChuckH
07-29-10, 08:08 AM
And did you ask,"Can I do it at least until I need glasses?"

So THAT'S why I wear glasses now.....:banana:

AKA HITMAN
07-29-10, 02:49 PM
So THAT'S why I wear glasses now.....:banana:
And shave my hands every week.....:sick:

sparkie
07-29-10, 02:55 PM
Coal delivery, and I had to bust it down smaller with the sledge so it would burn better in the furnace. The ashes were great to throw on the lane in the winter, so you could drive. Better than shoveling.
My first job around 6. Shoeshine Boy. Bar to bar, after dark. Good tips. Dad helped me make the box, and fronted me the supplies till I could pay him back. Remember Oxblood?

kenrobg30
07-29-10, 03:07 PM
Coal delivery, and I had to bust it down smaller with the sledge so it would burn better in the furnace. The ashes were great to throw on the lane in the winter, so you could drive. Better than shoveling.
My first job around 6. Shoeshine Boy. Bar to bar, after dark. Good tips. Dad helped me make the box, and fronted me the supplies till I could pay him back. Remember Oxblood?

I've got a can of it in my shoe kit right now Sparkie, along side of the Cordovan. :D S/F!! Ken

sparkie
07-29-10, 03:17 PM
"Run out and pick some dandylions for supper".

Mongoose
07-29-10, 03:46 PM
I remember in school, most boys went to shoe shops and had taps put on thier shoes. Made a lot of noise going down the halls. Flat tops was the hair style of the day.

sparkie
07-29-10, 03:50 PM
We had a stick cut to the perfect length to hold the TV tuner knob for 1 station. It was out of synk for years.

Old Marine
07-29-10, 05:36 PM
:evilgrin: I remember hearing alot of these sayings. I remember my grampa saying he had two bits. Meaning 50 cents. You guys are really making me feel my age. Ha. Ha. Ha. :cry:

Simper Fi

Two Bits = $.25
Four Bits = $.50
Six Bits = $.75

Two Bits, Four Bits, Six Bits, a dollar.:evilgrin:

Danny C Smith
07-29-10, 06:00 PM
Remember Grand Pop smaking the hell out of the t.v. set
when the news was on and the picture went all wavy?
That was rich!
I remember Granny shouting, "Bud, that's enough"
He would growl something under his breath and go sit down.
Take a sip of hot, black coffee, take a drag of a hand rolled
P.A cigarrett and sit there until the picture came back.
Then everything was just dandy untill the picture went wavy again.

Phantom Blooper
07-29-10, 06:29 PM
Had a B&W TV as a kid...parents didn't get a color set for years and it was a big floor console in a wood case...no remote.

They found in the 5&10 store some colored film that was advertised to cut to your TV screens width and length to have a pseudo colored TV....

Heads were Red....Breasts were Green....Stomach and Chest were Yellow and Feet were Blue.....

A Rainbow prism.....

Matched all the Avocado appliances in the Yellow kitchen and the Pink bathroom with the doll baby crocheted/knitted spare toilet paper holder...shiat paper slid up on the doll babies legs.:evilgrin:

sparkie
07-29-10, 09:09 PM
My bathtub had feet,,,,,,,,,, My father-in-laws was a galvanized tub in the kitchen on Saturday nite. The girls went first.

micarr57
07-29-10, 09:43 PM
get up and change the channel

sparkie
07-29-10, 10:00 PM
get up and change the channel

Don't change it,,,,, Lawerance Welk,,,,,,,,:p

Big Jim
07-29-10, 10:30 PM
My Gramps raised me on a horse ranch in North Dakota...we had an out-house and he grinded his own coffee every morning and made me breakfast and cooked my dinner and cut my hair and whipped the hell outta me when i needed it.....I miss that old man.

I remember it being cold as a well digger's azz in the early morning and waking up to the smells of his after shave of old spice and the noise of him grinding his coffee and frying me some bacon and eggs before school. Those smells still make me think of him and the frost on the windows in the winter time back home....and this was on the mid to late 70's...!!

micarr57
07-30-10, 06:48 AM
those fabulous lennon sisters

DrZ
07-30-10, 06:58 AM

Roflmao....

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z258/doczachary/lw.jpg

"A-one, an-a-two" and "Wunnerful, Wunnerful!"

Gawd.... how I hated that show!

Mongoose
07-30-10, 07:02 AM
Or Mitch Miller

Mongoose
07-30-10, 07:15 AM
I know every Marine here around my age remembers getting small pox shot. I was in elementry school when a cure for polio came out. All school kids in U.S. got it ( I think) on a sugar cube.

sscjoe
07-30-10, 07:25 AM

"Sing Along with Mitch"

sscjoe
07-30-10, 07:32 AM
Or Mitch Miller

"Sing Along with Mitch"

Phantom Blooper
07-30-10, 07:49 AM
I know every Marine here around my age remembers getting small pox shot. I was in elementry school when a cure for polio came out. All school kids in U.S. got it ( I think) on a sugar cube.

For the polio vaccine you had to show your arm where the scar was at....and sometimes some old battle axe nurse would circle it in red.

Fallout shelters because of the "threat".....in schools....civic centers...under ladderwells.....,"The Russians are coming,the Russians are coming!"

kenrobg30
07-30-10, 08:18 AM
For the polio vaccine you had to show your arm where the scar was at....and sometimes some old battle axe nurse would circle it in red.

Fallout shelters because of the "threat".....in schools....civic centers...under ladderwells.....,"The Russians are coming,the Russians are coming!"

Now, that was a funny movie PB ! "Get-up! The cows are out, and we've gotta fix the fence !:D S/F!!! Ken