PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for jump school :ANGLICO

PoolieM
07-27-10, 12:22 AM
A Marine friend of mine visited me recently before shipping to Afghanistan, i told her how i'm joining an ANGLICO unit and how i get to jump.

She told me i will likely have to wait years to get to jump school.Iknow many people have to wait years to go, but it's literally apart of my job so i think i won't have to wait nearly as long.

I hope this is the right thread because i was suggested to ask it here.I used the search feature and couldn't find a post like mine

Any thoughts?

josephd
07-27-10, 12:38 AM
If your MOS demands you go to jump school then you won't wait, you will go straight there and pick up with a class. Kinda like being a rigger I would assume. SOI to Ft. Benning, then to MOS school after that

PoolieM
07-27-10, 12:52 AM
Thank you for the answer Marine.

Capital M
07-27-10, 09:18 PM
1) Youre a poolie, how the hell do you know if your joining ANGLICO or not?

You haven't made it through boot, MCT, 0861/FRO/JTAC/FAC school yet sooooo.....

You don't.

2) If you were really doing your research, you would know that although it used to be required, Jump school is not mandatory for ANGLICO members anymore

It's also most definitely not 'literally part of your job' nor is it essential for mission accomplishment yet.

I'd do a little more research before you go bragging about how you're going to be in ANGLICO, unless ofcourse you're somehow moving across the country to long beach, CA to be a reservist with 3rd.

Oh and I know you arent going around telling people it's special operations either there.

Capital M
07-27-10, 09:26 PM
*I also stand corrected if you going to be a reservist with 4th too

supermanlives22
07-28-10, 05:34 AM
look at the big bad pfc in the forums now lol you sure told him

PoolieM
07-28-10, 10:27 AM
1) Youre a poolie, how the hell do you know if your joining ANGLICO or not?

You haven't made it through boot, MCT, 0861/FRO/JTAC/FAC school yet sooooo.....

You don't.

2) If you were really doing your research, you would know that although it used to be required, Jump school is not mandatory for ANGLICO members anymore

It's also most definitely not 'literally part of your job' nor is it essential for mission accomplishment yet.

I'd do a little more research before you go bragging about how you're going to be in ANGLICO, unless ofcourse you're somehow moving across the country to long beach, CA to be a reservist with 3rd.

Oh and I know you arent going around telling people it's special operations either there.

Yes sir i am a reservist so i do know i am filling a billet at 4th ANGLICO, and i spoke to a 4th ANGLICO member a few months ago and he said it will be required of me to jump.No braggin here sir. And i know it's not special ops.(Would be awesome though)

thewookie
07-28-10, 10:28 AM
You leg! :usmc:

Get some Army, Whoa -- Airborne! :flag:

PoolieM
07-28-10, 10:35 AM
You leg! :usmc:

Get some Army, Whoa -- Airborne! :flag:

Call me dumb but i don't get what just happened lol

Capital M
07-28-10, 11:35 AM
Are you an 0861?

PoolieM
07-28-10, 11:39 AM
0621 sir.

IVIanOnTheIVIov
07-28-10, 12:30 PM
For what it's worth PoolieM, most ANGLECO guys I cam accross did have their lead sleads "Jump wings". These Marines that I speak of were active duty however, this is congruent with their possible job demands. They have a unique comunications job that entails schooling that includes, but certainly not limited to, JFO and JTAC schools. These jobs at times dictate that they be temporarily detached from their unit and attached to a unit that is jump orriented.

thewookie
07-28-10, 12:36 PM
Call me dumb but i don't get what just happened lol

When and IF, you go to Army Airborne training the Sgt. Airborne's - black hats who basically act like DI's and run the place, they will call you a dirty nasty leg, among other things (they love Jarheads) which basically means that you are not jump qualified, and have not earned your led sled. I know, I know, what does a leg have to do with jumping? Someone who knows, or cares could probably trace some meaning or reason to calling a non-jump-qualified person a leg, but I just think it's part of the whole madness that is the Army.

Whoa.

:usmc:

PoolieM
07-28-10, 01:02 PM
I see now, thanks to all the Marines who gave the valuable advice.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-28-10, 11:43 PM
Thank you Sergeant Airborne Wookie!

"Leg" comes from a post WWII-Mid Korea term. Those who were 'Airborne' qualified were allowed to 'blouse' their trousers. Those who were NOT Airborne wore there trousers 'straight legged'. Therefore, you were a 'leg'.

(Recall in Band of Brothers where the kid gets reamed in the first episode for his trousers looking wrinkled because he was blousing them prior to earning his wings?)

Of course, nowadays, and since the 60's or so, everyone in the army blouses so it doesn't mean as much.

Airborne soldiers are still the only ones allowed to blouse their 'Alpha' trousers and wear jump boots with them, although that is likely going to go by the wayside with the introduction of the 'blue' uniforms. Personally I think it looks sorta stupid, but I understand the history behind it.

v/r
The Airborne Leprechaun....Benning, '84, 42nd Company.

Beltayn
07-29-10, 10:45 AM
My understanding was it also had a connotation that such people are so inexperienced/dumb that they would attempt to land from a jump with locked out straight legs, and thus break them.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-29-10, 06:59 PM
Certainly possible...but hadn't heard that one before. True, though. It's a VERY good way to faceplant.

FROC YOU
08-24-10, 02:57 AM
PoolieM,

I just sent one of my buddies in 4th ANGLICO an email about you question hope to hear form him soon. Also are you are trying to become a 0621? An witch 4th ANGLICO
company you trying to join?

hussaf
08-24-10, 07:27 AM
Doesn't ANGLICO have to do an "in-house" screening like HET or (back in the day) STA?

GyPhrog
08-31-10, 02:01 PM
Hussaf/FROC you:

4th ANGLICO does not have a formal RIP (Recon Indoc Plt), which is what you are referencing. However. to go to jump school at Ft Benning , GA (3 weeks) you will need to pass an Airborne PFT - 1.5 mile run w/i time limits, pull ups, sit ups, & pushups - as many as you can within 2 minutes.

SF
ANGLICO Marine

hussaf
08-31-10, 02:19 PM
Gy,
by screening I meant sending potential Marine in front of a screening board. As in a process by which members of an ANGLICO unit determine MOS suitability of the candidate before sending them to MOS school. I used to share an office with STA and I remember their candidates sitting out in the hallway studying over map tests, knowledge books, etc, while waiting their turn to get "boarded" by a panel of STA members. I was thinking ANGLICO was the same way...but really my only experience with ANGLICO was occasionally BSing with some ANGLICO guys in Iraq. Anyway, sorry for the confusion.

As far as the ARMY PRT, pull ups are not required...however to get into jump school one must be able to do something like 2 or 3, but this was not tested in my class...at least not to any of the Marines. This is above and beyond the PRT and is supposed to ensure candidate and manipulate the risers of an MC-1 parachute. Currently Marines have to arrive the weekend before class commencement and report to the MARDET, although most Marine units will have a Soldier or other designated Marine run guys through the PRT at their home base before even stepping off. When they arrive in Columbus, MARDET personnel will ensure all Marines can well exceed the Army PRT minimum requirements before allowing them to start class the following Monday. This is due to a large amount of Marines failing the PRT (which is hard to believe but true). I never saw, or heard of second hand, Airborne instructors giving Marines a hard time during PRT. In fact, they only let students do the minimum reqs as their are some 400 people they have to get through, and Marines are often automatically placed as platoon Sgts (their are rumors going around that Marines get messed with at Jump and thats why they fail the PRT).

thewookie
08-31-10, 03:14 PM
The Marine that I lived with out in town in Greece was a prior admin guy from ANGLICO. With nice and pirty gold wings. He was as wide as he was tall. He must have never missed a meal, from birth; but, overall he was a good Marine.

I bet the only screening they did for him was to see if he could make the chow line. ;)

I think if you are assigned to ANGLICO, regardless of MOS that you are going to get gold wings, eventually. Must be SOP.

GyPhrog
08-31-10, 03:23 PM
ALCON:

Appreciate the extensive thread by "Hussaf." The Airborne PFT to which I'm referring is a local unit requirement to ensure 4th ANGLICO Marines don't go to Benning and embarrass themselves or the Marine Corps.

I understand and appreciate the STA team screening process. However, as a Reserve unit, we are required to take new Marines who live within 50 miles of our center. Most are in good shape, and strongly desire to attend jump school. The remainder are part of the usual 10%.

There is obviously a great deal of knowledge on this thread, especially by "Hussaf." Appreciate your continued interest in the Marine Corps.

SF
ANGLICO Marine

hussaf
08-31-10, 03:45 PM
Well thanks for clearing that up...its tough getting good training in a reserve unit. Nobody in my unit even lives within 50 miles...we all have waivers. I'm about 7 hours out from mine. I'm guessing with a limited MOS like ANGLICO you guys have a lot of long-distance commuters as well.

Our unit actually requires us to have an Army PRT run by an Army SNCO before going to Jump. Got to love the Corps making it easy to get stuff done.

I've heard its not a requirement to get jump qual in ANGLICO, but I have no idea. That was said on this forum somewhere recently. All the ANLGICO guys I've met were in pretty good shape...used to lift with some of them in Habbaniyah. Might of been 4th ANGLICO actually, but I don't remember.

I can't find any 4th ANGLICO units outside of FL, are there others?

thewookie
08-31-10, 03:56 PM
Well thanks for clearing that up...its tough getting good training in a reserve unit. Nobody in my unit even lives within 50 miles...we all have waivers. I'm about 7 hours out from mine. I'm guessing with a limited MOS like ANGLICO you guys have a lot of long-distance commuters as well.

Our unit actually requires us to have an Army PRT run by an Army SNCO before going to Jump. Got to love the Corps making it easy to get stuff done.

I've heard its not a requirement to get jump qual in ANGLICO, but I have no idea. That was said on this forum somewhere recently. All the ANLGICO guys I've met were in pretty good shape...used to lift with some of them in Habbaniyah. Might of been 4th ANGLICO actually, but I don't remember.

I can't find any 4th ANGLICO units outside of FL, are there others?

I don't know much about the unit to be honest. But after I was jump qualed I wanted to know more: It was one of my picks for duty station on my fitreps. My buddy I mentioned in Greece w/ MCSF was in Admin, so that might be the reason for the weight thing,,, He actually ran a decent 21 minute or so PFT. One of those fat guys who could run. ;)

I'm sure the rest of the Marines in ANGLICO that are out in the bush doing the deeds are slim-and-trim, hooking-n-jabbing, and good-to-go.

hussaf
08-31-10, 10:21 PM
Lol,

well since I met those guys at the gym (my guys and those guys lifted at odd hours to avoid the crowds) I'm guessing they would logically not be the fatties. We had a fatty in our team....he didn't go to the gym. Lol.

PoolieM
09-10-10, 02:39 PM
ALCON:

Appreciate the extensive thread by "Hussaf." The Airborne PFT to which I'm referring is a local unit requirement to ensure 4th ANGLICO Marines don't go to Benning and embarrass themselves or the Marine Corps.

I understand and appreciate the STA team screening process. However, as a Reserve unit, we are required to take new Marines who live within 50 miles of our center. Most are in good shape, and strongly desire to attend jump school. The remainder are part of the usual 10%.

There is obviously a great deal of knowledge on this thread, especially by "Hussaf." Appreciate your continued interest in the Marine Corps.

SF
ANGLICO Marine

Just so you know this is the Poolie you interviewed a few days ago, Poolie Mcneil, i was there with gunnery Sergeant Chancey and Staff Sergeant Uribe.

HOWARDROARK3043
09-11-10, 11:47 AM
after you said she,,,,, i didnt believe her//////////////

PoolieM
09-13-10, 04:01 PM
Lol

FistFu68
09-08-11, 05:18 PM
:evilgrin:During My Era,Bn.Ricky Recons did not go too The Formal U.S.Army Infantry Airborne Jump School.Only Force Recon's did,and when they allowed Women in Tha AIRBORNE that's when it became a Wussie Joke.Chit I saw more than 1 SEAL Sent home Packin His SEABAG cause He couldn't handle tha Chit Physically.Oh and The Height of the Jump ain't gonna Kill Ya if You have a MAJOR MALFUNTION...It's tha SUDDEN STOP!!! :scared: :iwo:

ggyoung
09-08-11, 06:26 PM
FIST You are right about that. But........The Marine Corps had a pre-jump school that made the Army air borne look like little wimps. As I understand when the running was done for the day the Marines would make the run one more time.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-08-11, 06:38 PM
When I did "Pre Airborne" I trained for just about six months prior to going. Running, pushups, situps....daily. In addition to our other regularly assigned duties. At the end we were running with Medium ALICE's and 2 full sandbags.

Phantom Blooper
09-08-11, 06:40 PM
I just want to know....did anybody call him dumb yet?

Sgt Leprechaun
09-08-11, 06:41 PM
Considering this is a year old thread...LOL

FistFu68
09-09-11, 10:25 AM
:evilgrin: Anyone know where Some of The USMC RAIDERS of WW11 and Tha Parachute Regt...Had gone through Jump School? Does Lakehurst New Jersey sound Familiar seem's like a Uncle of mine that Has Passed away was a Leaping Leatherneck,but can't remember Why New Jersey would Pop up in His Conversations when I was a Boy. :confused: :iwo: