PDA

View Full Version : Nicknames given by your Marines.

terran1996
07-26-10, 08:12 AM
What nicknames have you been given by your Marines or have called other Marines.

My Marines took to calling my "Feisty-Old-Goat" after a bar-fight in Kin-ville. I was a 33yo Sgt who had returned to active duty after a 4year break so I was quite a bit older than my peers.
Other names I have bee called are, Old-Man, Red Foreman(that 70s show dad)and Water Matthau(Actor in the Movie "Grumpy Old Men" now deceased).

I guess they thought I was a bit grumpy.

We used to call one of our Lieutenants, "Lord Helmet" he was a short guy with a huge melon and when he put on his Kevlar he looked allot like Rick Morainus in the movie "Spaceballs".

Lets hear your names.

NeverQuit
07-26-10, 08:27 AM
One that followed me the most was Chaps, apparently i resembled a chaplain that one of my senior marines knew, had a few other ones Melroid, motorose. Last name is Melrose so throw things in i'm sure i was dubbed with it.

swilliams115
07-26-10, 11:56 AM
Not sure how I wound up with that one. One of my brothers called me that while partying at Willies in Subic. Just kinda stuck.

jungholee90
07-26-10, 02:15 PM
Ree.
It does have something to do with me being Asian and Asians not being able to distinguish between "L" and "R" but it didn't start from that. When I was the new guy in the shop we went on a food run and my Sgt (whose initial "R" was on the cup) and I (not even thinking what "R" stood for) were practically drinking off the same cup with one straw. Wondering who kept on moving my drink I just finished the damn thing off and threw it away. Of course the whole shop knew it all along and ratted me out when he started asking around for his drink. Still knowing nothing about what that "R" meant I just said I drank it all and threw it away.

Then there came phrases like "ROR (Raugh Out Roud)," "Dericious," and so on... And I am the only 'real' Asian in the shop so I get all that attention. Lol, we still joke around whenever we send someone to get Jamba Juice.

kenrobg30
07-26-10, 07:22 PM
After I 'graduated' from Comm school, I was sent out with 'Easy Co. on a two day patrol. The Company Gunny, asked me a question, I forget what it was, but he called me 'Sparks'. I told him, that my name was Ken, not 'Sparks, sparks is what you get when you scratch your ass in a dark room. The Gunny thought that was funny, but he never called me 'Sparks' again. We became good friends. :beer: S/F!!! Ken

AdirondackDog
07-26-10, 07:31 PM
Ive been called Bear and Houserbush. My last name is Houserman. I have more hair on my chest than Bigfoot. My sweetheart called me Bear too.

TunTvrnWarrior
07-26-10, 07:32 PM
Before transfering from Active Duty to Reserves, I repaired Duece Gear, GP and CP Tents and Jeep seats. When I got to my Reserve unit, VMO-4, as an aircraft mechanic, they called me "Omar" as in "Omar the tent maker" and because of my affinity with knives they also called me "Rambo". I wont repeat the nickname the Drill Instructors called me, but it was well earned.

Marine84
07-26-10, 08:42 PM
I earned La Gata & Casper.

La Gata because the guys said I looked like I was on the prowl when I walked. Casper because I was the only white spot in a group that cliqued at A School.

echo3oscar1833
07-26-10, 09:21 PM
The one I used to get called was Osama Ben Otten used to make me mad as hell, still does lol:D

Skosh59
07-27-10, 01:03 PM
Short round and skosh.

SlingerDun
07-27-10, 03:40 PM
The one I used to get called was Osama Ben Otten used to make me mad as hell,hehe did ya commence stretching muhdafruckers out cold

gonzo4
07-27-10, 04:19 PM
Gonzo... It has been and always be Gonzo.

HurricaneRJ
07-28-10, 09:08 PM
I got different ones, I'm the only blk guy in my squad.
Jigga Bear
Johnny Boy (No ****)
Scarlett Johanson (Because I'm the exact opposite of her)
And a couple other that I will not post that are internal to my platoon that are funny.)

ArtyOps
07-28-10, 09:32 PM
"Guido" and "WOP" from my Lt.

"The Don" by the Cpl that worked for me in the office and "Old Man" from the Marines down in the shop.

"Fat kid" from one Marine that I saw regularly throughout my 9+ years in.

"Hey Fat Kid"
Good morning Corporal (Me as a PFC and Lance)

"Hey Fat Kid"
Good Morning Sergeant (Me a Corporal)

"Hey Fat Kid"
Good Morning Staff Sergeant (Me as a Sergeant)

If there was ever one Marine I would call my mentor it was him. Excellent NCO and SNCO. When I checked in he didn't take it easy on me by any means and I owe my promotion to Lance Corporal and Corporal to him and in part my promotion to Sergeant because of the awesome training and leadership he provided. I am glad I got to see him throughout my career. Interestingly, after he left the unit and went on recruiting duty I stopped by my recruiters office on leave to say hi and talk to poolee's and there he was, in RI, recruiting.

charm1110
07-29-10, 01:42 PM
In I.T.S. at Camp Pendleton someone started calling me Mookie, forget why and it stuck, but everyone called me that. It was like " oh, that's pfc Mookie, L/cpl Mookie"...etc. Then we got a big guy in our platoon whose nickname was Dookie so we were referred to as 'Mookie and Dookie' in wpns. plt.

Dragonscript
07-30-10, 05:52 PM
Currently: Cpl. J, a combo of my rank and last name.

In the past:

"Sniper J", due to a rifle range incident
"The walrus", a beatles reference i guess, i never understood why

irpat54
07-30-10, 06:32 PM
with me it started of as Chesty I gess for two reasons 1) I had no chest, no uper body phesic at all, I work My but off building it up it was inbaresing, but it grew back unfortunitly( my but I meen), 2) a play off my name. then after I got some uper body looks it changed to Chezzy, weard how things change.

Enigmatic
08-02-10, 06:45 PM
Gonzo... It has been and always be Gonzo.

What she said. If your last name is Gonzalez, you're gonna be Gonzo while in the Corps.

The DUKE
08-02-10, 10:25 PM
The nickname I got was only used after duty hours by any of my platoon/squad depending on any given time in our history while there.
I have to say they respected the job, uniform, and our code to not dis me while on duty or in front of anyone outside our clice'.
It was "ROACH" if you lived through the 60"s youll probably figure out what it means, if not then good luck guessing.

terran1996
08-03-10, 06:02 PM
The nickname I got was only used after duty hours by any of my platoon/squad depending on any given time in our history while there.
I have to say they respected the job, uniform, and our code to not dis me while on duty or in front of anyone outside our clice'.
It was "ROACH" if you lived through the 60"s youll probably figure out what it means, if not then good luck guessing.

Hmmmm? I wonder what the Gunny could possibly be talkin bout.;)

Artemis
08-03-10, 06:14 PM
Willie.....don't know why but it stuck with me for a long time. As well as Coach because I had a SgtMaj that couldn't pronounce my maiden name of Cohee so he called me Coach.

Wyoming
08-03-10, 06:45 PM
Willie.....don't know why but it stuck with me for a long time. As well as Coach because I had a SgtMaj that couldn't pronounce my maiden name of Cohee so he called me Coach.

I have a special name for you, but that is between us.

Esposito
08-03-10, 06:48 PM
Everyone down at Pensacola NAS calls me Forrest Gump because I'm always running. I run anywhere between 6-12 miles a day, everyday. Even in black flag conditions!

Phantom Blooper
08-03-10, 06:53 PM
Willie

Did you play with a bunch of WEE WILLIES WONKAS when you were younger?:beer:

This may be the reason.:evilgrin:

BlackHills
08-05-10, 09:29 PM
I had two. In the Fleet one of the Sgts decided I was too smart so he loved to call me Poindexter. When I got to my first duty station on MSG everyone had a nickname that we as callsigns; the rest of the guys decided I looked like an officer so I became Skipper.

In I.T.S. at Camp Pendleton someone started calling me Mookie, forget why and it stuck, but everyone called me that. It was like " oh, that's pfc Mookie, L/cpl Mookie"...etc. Then we got a big guy in our platoon whose nickname was Dookie so we were referred to as 'Mookie and Dookie' in wpns. plt. I seem to remember another one you had as well. :D (Charm and I were in the same Plt.)

agerry
08-06-10, 02:55 AM
Frodo for my foot haha and Shrek because I was the tallest recruit in my Company

manilalaguna29
08-06-10, 03:19 AM
Troops called me big D. I guess because of my last name.

cucinae5
08-06-10, 11:57 AM
just about everyone called me cooch..

my last name is cucina and most can't say it right so cooch it was....

Waveslide
08-06-10, 04:47 PM
Doc Spicolli
Because I am from San Diego, surf(my whole life),have blonde hair, blues eyes, and regularly said things like "dude" "chill" "no worries". One Marine, who I never met, was in for sick call and and I said "right on" to him. He immediatley said that I must be from SoCal and called me Spicolli, which was already in use.

tdrt
08-08-10, 10:34 AM
B!tch comes to mind

Danny C Smith
08-08-10, 04:06 PM
With a last name like Smith you can guess.
I have always been Smitty.

Being 1st squad leader in Boot, the squad called me Boss.
The recruit that started that was Kerry Degan.
He was a snap and pop recruit and I'll never forget him.
to everyone else I was Smitty.
Smitty, get on my quarter deck! LOL.
In the fleet.
Co.
Xo.
1st.Shirt.
Gunny. On down the ranks.
They all called me Smitty.
When I picked up E-4, I was Cpl. Smitty.

florczak2287
08-10-10, 04:58 PM
Lips (I have big lips)
Bubba gump
Gerber baby (baby face)
Armory todler
Kirby(because of how my arms elevate when I sprint)

MeierT
08-11-10, 10:13 PM
There was a SGTMJR at SOI who was universally known as the Daywalker because he looked like the giant version of Wesley Snipes and was known for trekking all around the area.

bgsuwoody
08-11-10, 10:17 PM
I am Woody, Woodcock, Woodman, Woods, Old Man, etc. etc.

Roger Shepherd
08-11-10, 11:43 PM
Shep; Was what they call me because of my last Name

m14ed
05-28-12, 03:31 AM
"CRASH" Was my first good nickname................
Was earned by goofing off one day. I and another
Marine , We were "trail riding" the tank trails that we used to
road test equipment (insert goof off )= rough terrain cranes and forklifts. When i was supposed to follow a mechanic testing a
rough terrain forklift, while i was on an identical type lift.
HE stopped at an intersection ( TANKS ,couldn't be heard over
our engine noise) - good thing i operated with the fork and boom section low!)

"WINGS" Was my second/permenatn nickname...I pushed the
"Envelope" when it came to " High and Tights", Some of my JARHEAD hair, always came out from under the utility cover.

Apache
05-28-12, 10:09 AM
I recall Col ****bird

"boys" wanted to frag him----
NO not authorized
On his last day in country the "boys" set a bobby trap in the O,s ****ter
He came out kinda spotty (all over)

Mader than a wet cat !

LMFAO

thewookie
05-29-12, 08:31 AM
the wookie -- big surprise there.... I guess I have a hairy ass and showed it alot. So they say.

I was also called Vinny and Vern, and a bunch of cuss words that will only be censored out -- so use your imagination.

Captain Kirk
05-29-12, 10:48 AM
After Star trek came out I became Capt. Kirk

jp2usmc
05-29-12, 02:29 PM
My nick name, given to me by a few others, was Foo-Ya.

jp2usmc
05-29-12, 02:31 PM
the wookie -- big surprise there.... I guess I have a hairy ass and showed it alot.

And here I was thinking you were Chewbacca!

Nichols
06-02-12, 06:50 PM
Mine currently is Nicky, probably going to stick for a while.. >.>

lazyluke
06-22-12, 01:54 PM
Having a typical Polish last name I was called "Ski" most often. If someone came into the squad bay and yelled "hey Ski" they usually got a couple of resonses from the various Pollacks. Good friends called me "Luke" as my last name starts with Luk.

a2591
06-23-12, 12:56 AM
You would have to ask them since I never heard one in my presence. Except a boot camp platoon buddy, called me Sandbelly. There not being any water in the Rio Grande, where they think I crossed over at, I low crawled over the river rock.

MintusMaximus
06-23-12, 01:51 AM
Comm Company - MintusMaximus

MarForEurope - Minty Virus ( for accidently stepping on a plug that brought down a Danish dish...that supplied the base w/ internets)

ANGLICO- Cpl Slayer, All Ranks Slayer, Chuck Norris Slayer, Rock 'em Sock 'Em (Funny stories behind these... but won[t repeat them ;) the firts one evolved into the second, which then evolved into the third)

advanced
06-23-12, 08:57 AM
Some Marines call me Kirk Douglas, I don't know why.

ChuckH
06-23-12, 09:19 AM
Ontos
Was on a fire base in Nam and 3 of the "Ontos" had a night fire mission... I was in awe of them and in Greek Ontos means "Thing", plus the nick name of them are pigs.
SOOOOOO Me back then (1968) being the svelte 250 pounder I was.... was nick named Ontos...
I like to think I got that nick/Road name for the punch I threw and NOT cuz I was a thing or a pig... lol

SGT7477
06-23-12, 09:23 AM
The Bruiser,lol,Semper Fidelis.

corporalpizza
07-08-12, 12:22 PM
When I reported to MB PHILA in 1967, as soon as the NCOIC heard that I could type he moved me into the Company office.
SSgt Bill Platt couldnt pronounce my last name (Priolo) so he said "from now on you are "Pizza".
It just kinda stuck from then on; I became Cpl Pizza to everyone at the Barracks.

jfmario
07-08-12, 02:01 PM
I've been called Sgt Anarchy.

DrZ
07-09-12, 08:06 AM
I was called HD after getting to my first real duty station. Guess it had something to do with the 67 FLH Electra Glide that I struggled to keep running.

After I re-enlisted, I was still called HD but the younger Marines called me Lifer behind my back.

Didn't think I was a hard a** but guess the kids did.