PDA

View Full Version : Can A Reservist Sell Their Leave Days?

LoveOfCountry
07-25-10, 07:20 PM
Can I sell my 18 days of leave that I have accumulated during training? Someone said that you can sell them to admin.

How?

Zulu 36
07-25-10, 07:47 PM
Can I sell my 18 days of leave that I have accumulated during training? Someone said that you can sell them to admin.

How?

The only way I know you can sell leave back is if you are active duty and have a balance remaining at the end of your enlistment (and you are getting out). I sold back about 10-days when I got out.

Reservists have to "take" their leave at the end of their orders. Once you're home and not doing anything special, essentially you are selling the leave back. My oldest daughter just got done with a seven-month activation for Afghanistan. She is on her 14-days R&R time, after which she has to take her 19-days accumulated leave.

LoveOfCountry
07-25-10, 07:52 PM
Thanks, Sgt.

Does that mean that I will be getting paid during my leave days? If that's the case, then that hasn't happened either. MOL says that I have 19.5 days of leave remaining, and to be honest, I haven't gotten much help from my reserve unit.

hussaf
07-25-10, 07:54 PM
Yeah, are you a reservist or AD? Makes a difference as reservists technically separate from AD everytime you get off orders and get a subsequent DD214. I am assuming you are a reservist and speaking of days earned while at NMITC on AD for MOS school? In that case, you may sell your leave, as Zulu said, but understand you won't be getting BAH and per diem, etc. I am sure there is an SOP your unit follows for this situation. Oh, and if it is from your MOS school the BAH and per diem is pretty high for that area...maybe like 79+/day for per diem alone...so its usually best to just take that leave and collect the pay modifiers, then pop off orders when done (if you get the choice, usually schools and such aren't as lenient with this stuff than a full-on deployment).

Not to be a dick, but is that really a cool-guy barracks photo?

LoveOfCountry
07-25-10, 07:58 PM
LOL. "Cool-guy barracks photo?" If that's what you want to call it... it doesn't hurt my feelings at all.

Yeah, I just got out of training. I graduated from NMITC June 11th, but I haven't filled out any forms or been told anything yet. I don't drill for the first time until August because my unit was on AT when I checked in.

hussaf
07-25-10, 08:05 PM
Ah, who's your reserve unit? S-1 is trash everywhere, very very few exceptions on both AD and reserves. Their job is to make everyone else's job easier so pipe swingers don't have to worry about pay/admin issues. Unfortunately just the opposite is true as you have to spend countless hours keeping an eye on this crap, babysitting diary entries, etc. I just spent five weeks trying to get a Marine paid who's admin shop let his pay sit on their desk for two weeks and who's 1st Sgt acted like there was nothing that could be done and wanted to let the problem resolve itself. This sucks for young Marines who aren't making much money as it is. But I digress...a good lesson here is to take ownership of your own admin and pay. By that I mean keep track of this info, keep copies of stuff, and save copies of any email correspondence pertaining to pay/orders/medical etc. MOL could be wrong, your 1-shop could be wrong...it could be a lot of things. If you get a surplus of unexplained affluence from DFAS or whatever don't spend it! Make sure you weren't overpaid b/c they will gank that back as soon as they find out. Likewise, keep up on what you should be getting paid b/c the opposite will also occur. This is trick for reservists b/c admin sometimes disburses pay in odd ways so its harder to track travel claim pay vs. salary vs. pay modifiers.

Basically its a good idea to keep a copy of your SRB and medical/dental records and all correspondence related to the above. Anyway, sorry you're having issues but get used to it....you will always have these BS issues.

hussaf
07-25-10, 08:10 PM
LOL. "Cool-guy barracks photo?" If that's what you want to call it... it doesn't hurt my feelings at all.

Yeah, I just got out of training. I graduated from NMITC June 11th, but I haven't filled out any forms or been told anything yet. I don't drill for the first time until August because my unit was on AT when I checked in.

Yeah, that sucks checking in when no-one's around. Anyway, what unit you at? You prob will just have to wait until your first drill, I wouldn't try to sell back leave through MOL but it might be your only option. I guess since your off orders now so not sure if your unit will home-site AT you for a few weeks so you can take your leave during that time. Bring it up with I&I staff now or with your command during your first drill.

Beltayn
07-25-10, 08:11 PM
That avatar screams "Boot" lol. Is that a gortex?

LoveOfCountry
07-25-10, 09:10 PM
Thanks, everyone.

I'm with C. Co., IPT3 Intel Support Bn. in Georgia.

Yes, it's a Gortex. Went through boot and MCT in the winter. Fun times when you have one kid get hypothermia and another kid have a heat stroke in the same day. As far as it being a boot photo. I have no shame. I'm a 26 year old PFC in the Marine Corps, so things don't get too much more awkward that that. LOL.

I was older than all of my NCOs at MOS school... lat movers and instructors.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-26-10, 12:13 AM
I see you succumbed to peer pressure and changed the avatar LOL.

As far as leave goes, the only way you can 'sell it back' is if you have an overage at the end of the year, or you are getting ready to EAS. As a reservist, the gov't might just 'take' it back and pay you for it..but if I were you, I'd actually take it, since you get paid for it as if you were on duty. 19 days is over a half months pay.

FattyTheFerret
07-26-10, 12:45 AM
As a reservist, the day you graduate from MOS school is also your EAS. Once you check into your unit your you will sell back your leave days. There's no option in this. The problem comes in the fact that the school house admin won't want to deal with your leave days and your last pay but your new S-1 won't necessarily have access to it. Took me two months before they un****ed themselves and I got paid.

FattyTheFerret
07-26-10, 12:50 AM
Ah, who's your reserve unit? S-1 is trash everywhere, very very few exceptions on both AD and reserves. Their job is to make everyone else's job easier so pipe swingers don't have to worry about pay/admin issues. Unfortunately just the opposite is true as you have to spend countless hours keeping an eye on this crap, babysitting diary entries, etc. I just spent five weeks trying to get a Marine paid who's admin shop let his pay sit on their desk for two weeks and who's 1st Sgt acted like there was nothing that could be done and wanted to let the problem resolve itself. This sucks for young Marines who aren't making much money as it is. But I digress...a good lesson here is to take ownership of your own admin and pay. By that I mean keep track of this info, keep copies of stuff, and save copies of any email correspondence pertaining to pay/orders/medical etc. MOL could be wrong, your 1-shop could be wrong...it could be a lot of things. If you get a surplus of unexplained affluence from DFAS or whatever don't spend it! Make sure you weren't overpaid b/c they will gank that back as soon as they find out. Likewise, keep up on what you should be getting paid b/c the opposite will also occur. This is trick for reservists b/c admin sometimes disburses pay in odd ways so its harder to track travel claim pay vs. salary vs. pay modifiers.

Basically its a good idea to keep a copy of your SRB and medical/dental records and all correspondence related to the above. Anyway, sorry you're having issues but get used to it....you will always have these BS issues.This.

Everything he said is spot the frak on.

Uncle Sam owed me nearly a year of BAH. Took almost nine months to get that. Right now he owes me the equivalent of a lance coco's base pay from per diem and billeting during the AT.

Gotta love that green weenie.

FattyTheFerret
07-26-10, 12:51 AM
I'm a 26 year old PFC in the Marine Corps, so things don't get too much more awkward that that. LOL.

I was older than all of my NCOs at MOS school... lat movers and instructors.

yeah. been there. same with my entire DI team and all but two MCT instructors.

you get used to it. especially when people above you ask you for advice relevant to what you did before you enlisted.

edit: this thread might exist better outside of the poolee forum ;)

Sgt Leprechaun
07-26-10, 01:05 AM
As a reservist, the day you graduate from MOS school is also your EAS. Once you check into your unit your you will sell back your leave days. There's no option in this. The problem comes in the fact that the school house admin won't want to deal with your leave days and your last pay but your new S-1 won't necessarily have access to it. Took me two months before they un****ed themselves and I got paid.

FTF, thanks for clearing that up and setting me straight.

FattyTheFerret
07-26-10, 01:23 AM
No problem, though I should note that the above is from my own experience and I'm not an admin Marine. Hussaf may be right in saying different units or parent commands may have different rules regarding said leave for weekend warriors. To the best of my knowledge this is the SOP for 4th maw, unsure of the rest of marforres.

SongOfChaos
03-16-11, 01:43 PM
I know this is late, but I figured since I got directed here on a search, others will see it as well and could use updated information:

First, I am S-1. Like with all Marines, there are good S-1 Marines, and bad ones. Yes, ALWAYS, keep a copy of EVERYTHING, from check-in sheets, to travel claims. Strongly encourage you to have a water proof, fire proof, nuclear bomb proof safe to keep the important stuff. Your critically important stuff: DD214s, Orders, Travel Claims, Promotion Warrants, School Certificates, and Awards.

For the question itself, yes, all Marines can sell back leave. This is how it works for Reservists (and where alot of you are badmouthing your personal admins unjustly):

When you're a reservist on active orders, your pay is handled through the unit to which you are CURRENTLY ATTACHED ON ACTIVE DUTY. As in, if you're a Marine in the pipeline coming out of your MOS school, your pay is handled by the MOS school, not the reserve unit you're going to.

When you come off Active Duty orders, the admin at that unit will generate a NAVMC 11060. The 11060 is a Marine's separations pay. All Marines coming off active duty get this (obviously, that includes the Marines on Active Duty). Through the 11060, left over leave can be sold back. Outside the MOS school (where you're babied and told what to do), your admin 'should' be advising you that you have x'number of days, and should be inquiring well before you drop from active service what you want to do with your leave. It is YOUR choice if you'd like to sell the leave or take it.

Thus far, I do not see a limit on the amount of leave a reservist can sell back.

I say unjust badmouthing because when you come out of school, we do your audits to verify that you're getting your final pay. Sometimes, the school houses screw up, and we're aware of it. But outside of calling them and telling them to un@^#& themselves, we can't force them to fix your pay, and we can't run the 11060 on our end. After a point, we'll get the Staff involved, and we'll fix it, but it's rare it'd ever come to that. Point is, we cannot easily fix it, and even after the 11060 is made, Admin on either side doesn't actually give you money. Finance (yes, the man behind the man) is the one settling your pay. So cut your admin some slack, and keep copies of everything in case.

Notes of interest:

Active Duty Marines can also sell back excess leave when they reenlist and extend.

Active Duty Marines can only sell back 60 days leave.

Active Duty Marines should keep in mind if they save 60 days so they have two months off at the end of their contract, the CO 'can' still deny that leave, and you will not exceed your 60 days to sell back.

Only if you're coming out of the pipeline (Boot Camp, MCT, MOS) or if you're on orders for over 90 days will you get a DD214. Anything 89 and below, you will not get one.

'Active Duty' in this sense is orders over 30 days. If you're under 30 days, you do not accrue leave, you do not get the majority of entitlements, and you do not get paid on the 1st and 15th. Sometimes I-I staffs will ask reservists to come on orders 29 days at a time, then give you a weekend off orders, then pull you back on for 29 days. They are screwing you out of entitlements doing that. It's legal and you may be willing to make that sacrifice, but you should be aware of that.