PDA

View Full Version : ASVAB Score Questions

Semp3rFidel1s
07-25-10, 04:52 PM
Hello, I just wanted to know something about the ASVAB subtests and their grades. I'm looking to become a Small Arms Repairer, but I found out I need a MM (Mechanical Maintenance) 95+ on the ASVAB. My question is what the maximum score possible to get on the MM part of the ASVAB. I wanted to know if I should bother studying all the mechanical stuff on the ASVAB or not try (like if the score is out of 100. 95 would be extremely, almost impossible, to get). I figured it was either Small Arms Repairer or Artillery as a backup. If any Marines out there have Small Arms Repairer experience, please tell me what it was like and if you have a mechanical background before deciding to become a Marine. Thanks in advance.

FattyTheFerret
07-25-10, 05:33 PM
There are a lot of armorers so obviously the score is not almost impossible to get.

That being said, the highest score possible is a lot more than 100. Getting a 95 on the MM isn't that hard if you understand some basic concepts of mechanical physics (I'm talking how levers, wedges and other simple tools work).

Beltayn
07-25-10, 05:52 PM
The highest I've ever seen someone have in a particular subcategory was a 152. I have no idea what the maximum possible is.

Personally, here are my own scores as a sample:

SCORE: GT: 145 MM: 133 CL: 134 EL: 139

Semp3rFidel1s
07-25-10, 06:21 PM
Oh wow, that's a huge relief. At least I know it can be done. Thanks for your replies and thanks for being a Marine.

Beltayn
07-25-10, 08:09 PM
One good thing to keep in mind is that the scores you earn when you take the ASVAB will stay in the system in your files throughout your Marine Corps career. They will be able to either open or close doors to you in your career opportunities in the future.

So...
-Take the test seriously. All of it, even parts not relating to skills for the MOS you currently have in mind. Things may change, so do your best.
-Doing the practice test absolutely would not hurt. Your recruiter can help you out here.
-Brushing up on the math skills you learned in high school would be a good idea. Things like basic algebra and geometry and the like that you may have forgotten.

FattyTheFerret
07-25-10, 09:16 PM
as far as I know we're also allowed to retake the asvab once in the fleet....but I think it's only once. unless things have changed, when I was enlisting the rule was I could take the test as many times as I wanted but only once every six months. maybe I'm remembering that wrong...

Semp3rFidel1s
07-26-10, 04:22 AM
Ok, I'll take every part seriously. And I hope I'll be able to retake the ASVAB if I fail a certain part. Thanks, Marines

supermanlives22
07-26-10, 05:25 AM
are you good with cars like you know how to build maintain and fix them if so you will get a good score.

Semp3rFidel1s
07-26-10, 05:28 AM
I have 0 experience with auto maintenance. I'm studying what some parts do but I hope it's enough.

supermanlives22
07-26-10, 05:31 AM
well to give you a little courage i got a 52 on the asvab and got 108 and above on all my diff scores you will be fine 110gt 108el 118mm

Semp3rFidel1s
07-26-10, 05:38 AM
Thanks, sir. It really helps to be encouraged by a US Marine.

supermanlives22
07-26-10, 05:42 AM
np

IVIanOnTheIVIov
07-26-10, 12:30 PM
The ASVAB score is a percentile grade; much like any EOG tests you would take in elementary or middle schools. Thus, the highest score one can obtain is a 99 (i.e. you can't get a higher score than yourself). Typically, the most important sub-score, for the lack of a better term, is your GT. 110+ will get you any job in the Marines.

Semp3rFidel1s
07-27-10, 05:07 AM
For 2111, I need an MM score of 95+. Are you saying if I get like a 90 on MM and get like 113 GT I can get 2111?

Lisa 23
07-27-10, 07:48 AM
This is a question that can be best answered by your recruiter. He/she has the most update info on this.

Semp3rFidel1s
07-27-10, 09:44 AM
Well, I'm 16, and the recruiter said he can't talk to me about the Marines yet, so I'm trying to get the information online.

Beltayn
07-27-10, 01:52 PM
If a job has a minimum requirement for a particular score, you need to meet it. Missing the requirement by less than 5 points can usually be waivered, though waivers are hard to come by now we are trying to reduce the size of the Corps and not desperate for recruits.
The GT (General Technical) is the most important score for *MOST* jobs though, with the exception of mech-type MOSes which will also have a MM or EL requirement, and some admin jobs which also require a high CL.

Semp3rFidel1s
07-27-10, 01:56 PM
Ok, thanks for clarifying.