PDA

View Full Version : Everly Brothers Marines?

kansascdr
09-19-03, 04:47 PM
Anyone know anything about the Everly Brothers serving in the Marines? When did they serve? Where did they go to bootcamp and did they go through together?

thedrifter
09-19-03, 04:54 PM
Don and Phill Everly went to Boot Camp at MCRD San Diego in 1961 and graduated in 1962. They both went to boot camp together.........They were in the Marine Corps Reserve........Don Everly got married in his Dress Blues right after he graduated boot camp in the Base Chapel......

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

http://www.everlybrothers.com/photos/marines.jpg

yellowwing
09-19-03, 04:57 PM
I did not know that! Is it a hoax or truth that Don Knotts was a Marine? I even heard one rumour that he was a Drill Instructor.

thedrifter
09-19-03, 07:18 PM
Don Knotts Biography

At the age of 19, Don enrolled in the army and was transfered to a special service unit to entertain the troops during World War II. Don eventually got tired of his vantriloquist act, left his dummy on the beach and moved on to comedy. When the war was over, Don returned to WVU and graduated. Don got married and he and his wife moved back up to New York.

To read more......
http://www.worldofcheese.org/knotts/bio/

Sempers,

Roger

texbestn1
10-04-09, 02:43 PM
My brother, Tom Cissell, an uncle (Leo Bagsby, who is one year younger than me), and I experienced boot camp at MCRD, the rifle range at Camp Matthews and Infantry Training Regiment at Camp Pendleton concurrently with the Everly brothers. We were in different platoons in boot, but were in the same ITR company, Company A.
We entered boot in November 1961 and graduated in January 1962. Tom and I and Don and Phil Everly were two of about six sets of brothers in A Company at ITR.

Bill Cissell

ggyoung
10-05-09, 02:38 PM
I had a run in with one of the Everly brothers at 29 Stumps while I was stationed there. I was TAD from 5th 8 inch to reserve liaison training. On a Monday morning I saw a Marine with extra long hair and I told him to get it cut noon formation. Col. Wilson (yes the one who became COM. and a MOH Marine) called me aside and told me that there were orders set aside if a reserve Marine need to have long hair that is for his livelihood he could have it. At that time he was the only brother in the Corps. Also he was what was called a "30 day reserve). They would not attend any monthly meetings but were to attend 30 days a year on active duty. One other thing the Everly Bro.s would have there show stop at the Stumps for two free performances once a year.

SgtThrasher
10-05-09, 03:24 PM
Yeah G.G,I recall when you and I were at 29 Stumps where we formed 5th 8" Howitzer (SP) and started the battery.I remember when the Everly brothers were there for summer training in 66 or 67 and they put on a small show and also movie star Linda Day George's brother was stationed there at the same time too.

SGT7477
10-05-09, 04:00 PM
Never knew that before, OOHRAH for the Everly Brothers.

Old Marine
10-05-09, 05:09 PM
The Everly Brothers were in the 11th Marines at 13 Area, Camp Pendleton in 63/64. The troops used to ask them to play and sing and the would in a heart beat.

FistFu68
10-05-09, 05:45 PM
:evilgrin: I can remember sliding across the back seat or My PaPa's Rocket 88,on the backroads of Hillbilly road on his Leave I think the song was Wakeup Little Susie??? If I'm wrong you'll have too understand the way my PaPa drove Pedal 2 the Metal.Dam I miss You Daddy your loving Son Jack :beer: :iwo:

texbestn1
10-05-09, 07:28 PM
When A Company finished ITR training in late February or early March 1962, the Everly brothers put on a show for all in our company and, maybe, all off-duty Marines at Pendleton. The entertainers they brought in included some of the artists with top Roch n Roll and Pop hits at that time. I remember the Sugar Time Twist was a top hit. They got the Camp Pendleton base commander, who had a name like Colonel Arrowsmith, and several of the enlisted men get on stage to do the twist with some of the female entertainers. It was possibly the best entertainment I ever experienced, which means it was better than a Bob Hope show or The Supremes.

To Fistfu69, I first heard Bye Bye Love in a 1954, eight cylinder Mercury owned by my dad. That was a hot car. It only had 110 MPH on speedometer, but I was able to outrun a friend whose dad's 1955 Desota had a 120 MPH on its speedometer. We had them both pegged out.

Bill Cissell

texbestn1
10-05-09, 07:32 PM
While we were in ITR, I found Phil Everly to be one of the guys. He played poker with several of us on several occasions. Don was much more business-like. He seemed to use his spare time planning future shows and communicating with his wife. Both were were more friendly and approachable than some of the other celebrities and celebrity wannabes in the Holliwood Reserve Unit.

Bill Cissell

SGT7477
10-05-09, 08:05 PM
While we were in ITR, I found Phil Everly to be one of the guys. He played poker with several of us on several occasions. Don was much more business-like. He seemed to use his spare time planning future shows and communicating with his wife. Both were were more friendly and approachable than some of the other celebrities and celebrity wannabes in the Holliwood Reserve Unit.

Bill Cissell
Marine your profile needs work, Semper FI.:flag:

6yrforMar
10-12-09, 08:47 PM
Learn something new every day.OOORAH to the Everly Brothers.Check out the story about Steve McQueen in the June issue of Leatherneck Magazine. Semper Fi!

GREY MATTER
10-13-09, 03:04 AM
the Marine Corps becomes a smaller and smaller world doesn't it?

i never knew they were Marines...albeit reservists :)

Don Knotts was in the army and not a drill instructor.
Drew Carey was a reservist and was not a 300pft.
Mr. Rogers was not a Marine sniper nor was he ever in the Marine Corps.

there are a few other rumors about famous people, i just dont remember them anymore...but i researched all of the ones i heard...there was one that turned out to be true, i just dont remember which one it was

awbrown1462
10-13-09, 08:19 AM
list of Marines
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famous_U.S._Marines

oldmnjim
10-13-09, 08:47 PM
I was stationed with a Pfc Dwayne Cargil in 1962 at Cherry Point that has said he was in the same platoon as the Everly brothers and that both were discharged for reasons other than honorable. Don't ask don't say for if I'm not wrong it was Phil and yes I grew up in the days of the Everly brothers. The last time I saw Dwayne was in 1968 at the island pushing boots as a SSG.

oldmnjim
10-13-09, 08:49 PM
The land of where men are men and women are glad they are.

jervair
06-19-11, 12:55 PM
Anyone know anything about the Everly Brothers serving in the Marines? When did they serve? Where did they go to bootcamp and did they go through together?
Yes, Marine Corps reserve together San Diego 1961 JB

USNAviator
06-19-11, 01:31 PM
Don and Phil 2009

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/15/Sdzghsteh.png/210px-Sdzghsteh.png

texbestn1
06-19-11, 09:47 PM
My uncle, Herman Leo Bagsby, who enlisted in 1961 along with me and my brother Thomas M. Cissell, saw action in Nam. He was wounded while there and sprayed with Agent Orange. He received a heart transplant on October 18, 2005. Unfortunately, he is experiencing some problems breathing at present. He received the heart transplant at Stanford U. Medical Hospital. The head of the transplant team is located at the Palo Alto VA Hospital. Leo is being treated there at this time. His home is in Buena Park, CA.

awbrown1462
06-19-11, 11:21 PM
I live about a hour or so from thier hometown in Ky

texbestn1
06-20-11, 03:48 PM
AWBrown,

Our family was originally from western Kentucky. I was born in Graves County, near Fancy Farm. The Fancy Farm Picnic made the Guinness Book of World Records in 1985 for being the largest one-day church picnic in the world. My brother, Tom, was born in Hickman County. We still have lots of relatives in Graves, Hickman and Carlisle counties.

Bill Cissell :)

texbestn1
06-20-11, 03:51 PM
[quote=texbestn1;783221]AWBrown,

Our family was originally from western Kentucky. I was born in Graves County, near Fancy Farm. The Fancy Farm Picnic made the Guinness Book of World Records in 1985 for being the largest one-day church picnic in the world. My brother, Tom, was born in Hickman County. We still have lots of relatives in Graves, Hickman and Carlisle counties.

Bill Cissell :)[God, Country, Corps!]

DrZ
06-20-11, 04:10 PM
Lots of actors and well-known people are Marines.

Here is a list. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_notable_United_States_Marines

Some might just surprise you.

DrZ
06-20-11, 04:16 PM
Sorry... duplicated someone's link. My apologies.

texbestn1
06-20-11, 11:23 PM
Dr Z,

This list is impressive. Thanks!

Bill Cissell:flag:

texbestn1
06-20-11, 11:29 PM
Sorry! Actually, AWBrown1462 posted the link to the list of former Marine celebs first. I failed to click on it until DrZ copied it and had it in his posted message.

Bill Cissell :flag:

rufus1
07-05-11, 12:53 AM
I got drunk with Jerry Lee Lewis at the enlisted club at Millington,Tenn. Also was in Raleigh,N.C. with Marine friends at club a when Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show drummer came up to us and bought us a beer and told us he was in the Corps.

kaelobo
07-05-11, 03:17 AM
WELL BOYS and girls, iam out of here but before i go iwould like to say there are marines here that are real and i have learned alot; and misty and dan thank you. why cause i am a mess ,, i have ask to be turn off this site, cause iam still checking com wire to the claymores, iam a nut case thought i could hide and cover in LN, no iam more fuc* UP THAN MOST, cant tell my ptsd here cause mine is weirder, no iam not john Wayne, you all keep the faith,

fespar
07-05-11, 06:31 PM
Anyone ever heard about The Emblems?A group of five Marine singers from the late 50's or early 60's.There's a PC of them up for auction overseas.

jannypan
07-26-11, 03:54 AM
They were in the Marine Corps Reserve........Don Everly got married in his Dress Blues right after he graduated boot camp in the Base Chapel......Buy Tera Gold (http://www.tera2buy.com/)
Tera Items (http://www.teragoldbox.com/TeraGoldBox.items)

gec343
08-02-11, 10:35 PM
I served in the USMC at a corporal, 0351,B/1/1/1,Camp Pendleton. My wife and I attended a concert, so to speak, at the outdoor theater, San Oonofre, 1963, with the Everly brothers as entertainers. It was outstanding. I reentered the USMCR, retiring as a 1stSgt with 23 years service. I still miss the Corps!!!

Zebra29er
08-03-11, 06:05 PM
Yeah G.G,I recall when you and I were at 29 Stumps where we formed 5th 8" Howitzer (SP) and started the battery.I remember when the Everly brothers were there for summer training in 66 or 67 and they put on a small show and also movie star Linda Day George's brother was stationed there at the same time too.

Sgt where you at the stumps when the CG's son was in a wreak on the road into the bass and was killed ? I was the meat wagon driver that answered that call . I was waiting for my Med discharge .. that I didn't want and they stuck me with H&S as a driver .

Zebra29er

ScarletandGold
05-07-12, 02:42 PM
Don and Phill Everly went to Boot Camp at MCRD San Diego in 1961 and graduated in 1962. They both went to boot camp together.........They were in the Marine Corps Reserve........Don Everly got married in his Dress Blues right after he graduated boot camp in the Base Chapel......

Sempers,

Roger

http://www.everlybrothers.com/photos/marines.jpgI believe they were both in artillery units, either 105's or 4-Deuce stationed in the 16 area at Camp Pendleton

alaska vet
07-23-12, 03:40 AM
R

alaska vet
07-23-12, 03:50 AM
Roger that,I was in A company also.Shared a quonset hut with the everlys.The Colonel you refered to was named Kirby-smith nice old guy.As I recall Marshall lieb and the Hollywood argyles sang Alley oop.Great times.Ran into the brothers in Hollywood at a club they owned .

infoleather
08-13-12, 05:45 AM
They bring artists, including some of the artists of that time the top of Roch n roll and pop music. I remember the sugar time warping is a top hit.

redclyde
09-05-12, 04:18 AM
I heard that Lee Marvin and Steve Mcqueen served in the Marine Corps. I can't prove it just heard and never read about it.

Zulu 36
09-05-12, 07:31 AM
I heard that Lee Marvin and Steve Mcqueen served in the Marine Corps. I can't prove it just heard and never read about it.

Lee Marvin was a WWII Marine infantryman, WIA at Saipan. He was medically discharged.

Steve McQueen served in the Corps between WWII and Korea. He had a rough first part of his enlistment, but settled down for the 2d half getting an Honorable Discharge.

BruceWT
10-01-12, 11:44 PM
Hello............

I was in the Marines '66-'69 and was a Corporal in the 3rd Bn 3rd Marines 3rd Div, Viet Nam, 1968.

With Regards to you Marines who were at ITR with the Everly Brothers, I'd like to know exactly when they put on their concert. Was it during ITR or at the completion of ITR?

Thanks!

BruceWT
10-05-12, 11:54 AM
When A Company finished ITR training in late February or early March 1962, the Everly brothers put on a show for all in our company and, maybe, all off-duty Marines at Pendleton. The entertainers they brought in included some of the artists with top Roch n Roll and Pop hits at that time. I remember the Sugar Time Twist was a top hit. They got the Camp Pendleton base commander, who had a name like Colonel Arrowsmith, and several of the enlisted men get on stage to do the twist with some of the female entertainers. It was possibly the best entertainment I ever experienced, which means it was better than a Bob Hope show or The Supremes.

Bill Cissell

Never mind. I should have read each post a little more carefully.

I like the guy who got on Phil Everly's case about the length of his hair. HAHAHA! That was always a bone of contention between the enlistees and the lifers!

Mark Salo
01-04-14, 01:39 AM
Yes to all the above. I was in platoon 303 at MCRD and the Everlys were in 301. We all went to ITR at San Onofre after boot camp. Later, I was in the 11 Marines in Pendleton when one they did their yearly active duty. One and I recall that the brothers did not join by themselves but joined with someone from their band. There I had the opportunity to play Phil Everly's Gretch guitar for a few minutes...good memory!
M.S.

madsox
01-04-14, 01:49 PM
Everly Brothers another pair of famous Marines? I never knew that - pretty cool!

I've always liked them, even if I'm a little younger than most of their fans. Just plain great music. And finding out they were fellow Reserve Marines?

:thumbup:

Mark Salo
01-05-14, 01:26 AM
Hello............

I was in the Marines '66-'69 and was a Corporal in the 3rd Bn 3rd Marines 3rd Div, Viet Nam, 1968.

With Regards to you Marines who were at ITR with the Everly Brothers, I'd like to know exactly when they put on their concert. Was it during ITR or at the completion of ITR?

Thanks!

BruceWT: My best friend was in your unit in Vietnam (333) in 68. He lost both legs on the Marine Corps birthday of that year. I made him a slide blues guitar as a gesture of my respect for his sacrifice. You can watch it on YouTube at http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/vietnam-requiem-blues
Mark Salo

echo7tango
09-29-14, 11:12 AM
BruceWT: My best friend was in your unit in Vietnam (333) in 68. He lost both legs on the Marine Corps birthday of that year. I made him a slide blues guitar as a gesture of my respect for his sacrifice. You can watch it on YouTube at http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/vietnam-requiem-blues
Mark Salo

Hey Mark, that is one beautiful guitar! Nigel does a nice job walking us through its decorations. Nicely done, sir.

About the Everly brothers, I'll include a YouTube video of them performing in their Dress Blues on the Ed Sullivan show in February 1962 while on leave. This is, apparently, one of their few public performances during their USMC service. I'll also include a picture link (very grainy photo).

1:49 YouTube video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaX7LG67to (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaX7LG67to)

Image (verified 2014-09-29):
http://i.imgur.com/ziW1w3h.png